Apple HomePod firmware reveals 'iPhone 8' bezel-less design, facial recognition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So is the blue border bezel or the frame? If it’s bezel than it’s not really a bezel-free display, it’s just a display with reduced bezels around all sides.
    It is graphic representation. Have you never, in all your years of trolling the hell out of Apple, not seen Apple's iconography representations of iOS devices? They are not to scale. They are vector graphics meant to be scaled up or down. They have exaggerated features so that it doesn't become unrecognizable at small size (which is usually where these appear).
    Well there have been mock-ups of rumors that suggest the phone might have thin bezels all around. Hence my question. You don’t have to be an ass about it.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So is the blue border bezel or the frame? If it’s bezel than it’s not really a bezel-free display, it’s just a display with reduced bezels around all sides.
    It is graphic representation. Have you never, in all your years of trolling the hell out of Apple, not seen Apple's iconography representations of iOS devices? They are not to scale. They are vector graphics meant to be scaled up or down. They have exaggerated features so that it doesn't become unrecognizable at small size (which is usually where these appear).
    Well there have been mock-ups of rumors that suggest the phone might have thin bezels all around. Hence my question. You don’t have to be an ass about it.
    He's not the one being an ass, Miss Pernickity. The article says "mostly bezel-less" and mock-ups and rumours are just that: mock-ups and rumours. So quit yo jibber jabber and wait for the damn thing to show up. When it does, I'm sure you'll find plenty to whine about. 

edited July 2017 StrangeDaysmacxpress
  • Reply 23 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Pretty sure Touch ID and this thing will coexist, they seem to not have the same use case
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    a true bezeless phone is impratical.  It would be impossible to hold the phone with out touching the active screen by mistake
    That was said about the iPad going with small bezels and the Apple Pencil when there's a palm resting on the display, but Apple showed us that you can intelligently sense and ignore unwanted input.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    Why would there be specs and pic of an upcoming phone in the firmware of an upcoming homepod speaker? Sound fishy to me.
    williamlondonhumanaftera11
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MisterKit said:
    Why would there be specs and pic of an upcoming phone in the firmware of an upcoming homepod speaker? Sound fishy to me.
    The weird thing about a piece of Apple kit is that it knows everything about every other piece of Apple kit when you switch it on. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 27 of 38
    When you create icons, you use exaggerated features and dimensions so that when displayed at small size, they don't become washed out and unrecognizable. This isn't supposed to be an accurate depiction of the device. Just a recognizable one.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    fallenjt said:
    Very nice. Now, give it a Touch ID under glass instad of the back and call the day. Let bury other Android alive since none could do Touch ID beneath the glass!
    Not happening. Touch ID is being replaced by Face ID. No need for both. 
    That's going to make paying with ApplePay a bit awkward. I can't imagine Apple being OK with that.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    78Bandit said:
    "Given its expected limited availability and premium pricing, observers believe the "iPhone 7s" may prove to be the most popular model with most consumers."

Apple had better hope this isn't the case.  iPhone sales have stagnated since the release of the iPhone 6 and the 7s looks like another warmed-over rehash of that design with inductive charging as the main new feature.  Tim Cook has blamed the anticipation of the new design of the iPhone 8 as having a direct cause on the drop in quarterly sales of the iPhone.  The iPhone 7s isn't going to satiate the demands of the customers who are looking for a fresh design, and if the iPhone 8 is priced so high as to make it so undesirable that a four-year-old design is more popular I think that will reflect poor sales of the 8 as opposed to great sales of the 7s.  You simply aren't going to have a lot of people who say "I really wanted the new design, but I'll settle for a rehash of what I've already got."  I certainly don't see a big exodus to the Galaxy S8, but I do see quite a few users who already have a 6 or 6s skipping the upgrade cycle this time around with the expectations the 8s next year will be more competitive as Apple deprecates the LCD models.
    Uh oh guys, sounds like Apple is DOOMED. 

Design isnt how something looks. It’s how it looks and how it works. The current and future iphones aren’t rehashed anything. 
    williamlondonmacxpress
  • Reply 30 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    evilution said:
    fallenjt said:
    Very nice. Now, give it a Touch ID under glass instad of the back and call the day. Let bury other Android alive since none could do Touch ID beneath the glass!
    That's going to make paying with ApplePay a bit awkward. I can't imagine Apple being OK with that.
    Why? Why do you assume that you’d have to hold the phone in some unusual way? Consider document scanning in ios 11, works from an angle. Why couldn’t this? 

I’ll never understand why skeptics assume Apple isn’t going to improve things. They’ve thought of all this and more long before you read the rumor. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    a true bezeless phone is impratical.  It would be impossible to hold the phone with out touching the active screen by mistake
    That was said about the iPad going with small bezels and the Apple Pencil when there's a palm resting on the display, but Apple showed us that you can intelligently sense and ignore unwanted input.
    the iPad still has a bezel 

• Reply 32 of 38
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Maybe Apple will surprise us and call it the D22.  ;)
    They certainly won't be calling it "iPhone 8"
    Perhaps the birth of iPhone Pro
    williamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:
    MisterKit said:
    The weird thing about a piece of Apple kit is that it knows everything about every other piece of Apple kit when you switch it on. 
    A feature that is paid for in the amount of storage and RAM the firmware and OS must occupy -- and the reason until recently, most Apple apps couldn't be deleted from a device even if they weren't being used ...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    MisterKit said:
    A feature that is paid for in the amount of storage and RAM the firmware and OS must occupy -- and the reason until recently, most Apple apps couldn't be deleted from a device even if they weren't being used ...
    The amount that's lower by far than Android? The "deletion" these days is basically the equivalent to removing a web page (removing the front end UI) that lnks into a ton of APIs.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    78Bandit said:
    "Given its expected limited availability and premium pricing, observers believe the "iPhone 7s" may prove to be the most popular model with most consumers."

Apple had better hope this isn't the case.  iPhone sales have stagnated since the release of the iPhone 6 and the 7s looks like another warmed-over rehash of that design with inductive charging as the main new feature.  Tim Cook has blamed the anticipation of the new design of the iPhone 8 as having a direct cause on the drop in quarterly sales of the iPhone.  The iPhone 7s isn't going to satiate the demands of the customers who are looking for a fresh design, and if the iPhone 8 is priced so high as to make it so undesirable that a four-year-old design is more popular I think that will reflect poor sales of the 8 as opposed to great sales of the 7s.  You simply aren't going to have a lot of people who say "I really wanted the new design, but I'll settle for a rehash of what I've already got."  I certainly don't see a big exodus to the Galaxy S8, but I do see quite a few users who already have a 6 or 6s skipping the upgrade cycle this time around with the expectations the 8s next year will be more competitive as Apple deprecates the LCD models.
    Uh oh guys, sounds like Apple is DOOMED. 

Design isnt how something looks. It’s how it looks and how it works. The current and future iphones aren’t rehashed anything. 

And you know...in the end I'm perfectly fine if it looks similar to today's phones. Why do we need a complete redesign of the phone every single year? 90% or better are gonna put a case on it anyways so why is it such a big deal over whether or not the phone is completely different from the outgoing model? If Apple has a good design that's working for them both with customers and with engineering new technology inside, why not keep it? I care more about what the damn thing does, rather than how it looks. If Apple needs to change the design of the phone to accommodate new technology then thats fine, but why change just for the sake of change?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    evilution said:
    fallenjt said:
    Lets just wait and see and stop assuming its just gonna be hold the phone to your face to authenticate stuff like everyone else does. This is Apple were taking about....I'd bet they've spent YEARS developing this. Its not like they just started it 6 months ago or something...more like 18-24 months ago. Yeah, I'm sure Apple is going to 10 steps backwards with ApplePay with ease of use. 
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Who else thinks they will combine Infrared, 3D facial scanning, and Iris scanning all at the same time? I mean imagine a crazy girlfriend grabbing your phone and putting it up to your face while you're sleeping? Unless it can detect when you're sleeping, or simply detect when your eyes are closed. If they wanted enhanced security it would unlock only once you look at your screen. it could have a setup similar to Touch ID where it learns your eyes at different positions or something.