the final solution to all Ti problems (mock up)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
problems:

HEAT, fan NOISE, wireless reception...

here you go the solution:

<a href="http://www.grupoavanza.com/pruebas/TiFranky.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.grupoavanza.com/pruebas/TiFranky.jpg</a>;

explanation: same size as current model. Screen lid made of titanium; rest made with the same material as the icebook, and as THICK as the little machine.

no titanium means way better reception and less heat problems.

Being slightly thicker you get more room for passive heat dissipators and so no fans at all.

is this a dream?

a COOL and QUIET powerbook? wow i'd buy 10 of them tomorrow!

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: jindrich ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Your image doesnt seem to work for me :-(

Apart from that aren't the antena for the airport card placed around the screen they? Wouldnt that mean their still incased in Ti?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    [quote] Apart from that aren't the antena for the airport card placed around the screen they? <hr></blockquote>

ooops, yes sorry. i didnt think about that :emabarrased: i was too blinded with my 2 main worries (Fan noise and Heat) to remember the antenna is in the lid..
  • Reply 3 of 25
    The image probably isn't working because he is referencing an internal IP address. 192.168.x.x is reserved for private networks and aren't really public addresses, afaik.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by jindrich:

<strong>ooops, yes sorry. i didnt think about that :emabarrased: i was too blinded with my 2 main worries (Fan noise and Heat) to remember the antenna is in the lid..</strong><hr></blockquote>

jindrich: You were actually right. The TiBook has two antennas. One is under the left palmrest, the other is under the right palmrest. So the plastic bottom with Titanium lid does make sense. Of course, if you wanted a Ti bottom with plastic lid, you could simply move the antennas to the lid.

From what I understand, a vertical antenna (it's actually circular, but vertically oriented) behind the screen provides better reception than one that is horizontally oriented in the main part of the PowerBook. It's the same reason why you don't usually see horizontal antenna towers.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 25
    the image/link is fixed now (hope)
  • Reply 6 of 25
    hummm! The main identifying features of the TiBook (to non Mac people) is it's lightnes and it's Thinnes.

These improvements remove these features and leave you with a average looking laptop, with no distinguishing features (other that it runs MacOS).
  • Reply 7 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    sorry but if the Powerbook remotely resembled that I would have never bought one.

the antennas are already encased in plastic.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    fan noise is not a big enough claim for them to change the tibook that much. they'll just get different fans or something like that. that's a pretty drastic change.

just wait until they update the powerbooks design.

you're still going to have problems with heat cause processors get hot. you can't get past that. one possible reason the ibook isn't as hot is cause it uses a G3. not sure if it works like that, but that's my guess.

if you added a .5" to 1" would make the pb bad. it'd be like every other notebook. one of the main selling points is that it's an inch thick. you don't see computer manufacturers advertising that they're able to dissipate heat the best.

there is little market for that computer. most people just get around the fact that it's hot and it uses a fan. for audio people, not sure what they do, but maybe they use PCs. nearly all manufacturers use fans. you can't get around that. you buy a notebook and you get a fan to cool it (99%).

a notebook like that would have a smaller market than the 14" ibook. it would have to be expensive, $3500 at least, because they'd have to use different panels and change how they put them together just to satisfy the needs of a few. there's no clear demand for that product. there was a little demand for a 14" ibook, but not nearly as much to make them redo the design of the powerbook so much. don't count on it.

wireless reception i agree with. it should be better and it is with the new models. the reception gets better with every update cause apple can find better solutions. Patience.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    As a matter of fact the titanium back actually helps dissipate heat, taht's why you feel it's hot.

replacing that with isolating plastics would probably reduce the heat you feel, but surely also the heat dissipated, thus would get even hotter inside, and thats bad.

I don't have the thermal specs of Ti at hand, but Al is probably better, so they could make it an Al bottom, same finish, same color.

G-News
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Wow G-News, you're one of the few who actually get it!

People, metal is going to dissipate heat faster, but at the same time, it conducts it faster than plastic so the thing is going to feel hotter than plastic. That's just basic physics.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I like the basic premise of having the same "feel" as the iBook.

While the iPod, and iBook are designed for consumers, the TiPowerbook target is the professional market. It's look should reflect that. Perhaps some plastics to improve "feel" but it must not come off as "cute".

I wouldn't be surprised if your little mockup isn't too far off of what we'll see in the next revision.

Jonathan Ive and the Apple Design team are making winning designs. I don't think they'll tamper with the Powerbook's design too much. I can see them addressing the screen resolution as that seems to be the biggest grip among users. I'd like it to be not necessarily thicker but feel more rigid.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually, I always wished the G4 PowerBook, instead of having a matte gray look, had the same color/gloss as the G4 towers: light powdered silver with a little acrylic sheet form-fitted over it and a cool silver Apple logo.

Basically, the look of a Quicksilver tower - as far as coloring, texture, plastics, etc. - worked into the size/design of the TiBook.

Wouldn't that look kinda cool?

Of course, the current one does too. But I hear it's so easily scratched!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jindrich: As much as a cross-breeding of the Ti and iBook adds some hybrid vigor, I see it as a compromise that won't improve some of the basic problems with the current TiBook.

How much would your Franky weigh? How big would it feel? Other than screen res. and a better antennae, I don't think there are glaring problems with the current Ti. Heat is heat and the TiBook in my opinion isn't for the commuter on the bus. It is a portable desktop that should rest on a desk. At which point you want the bottom to dissipate heat as fast as possible.

The only time the TiBook should touch your lap is when you are putting your tray in a secure and upright position.

I don't know about recording audio, but I'm sure there are plenty of microphone/noise isolation solutions already employed by people who do remote production work.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Basically, the look of a Quicksilver tower - as far as coloring, texture, plastics, etc. - worked into the size/design of the TiBook.

Wouldn't that look kinda cool?

0</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep! I'd buy one.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Part plastic, part Ti would look so stupid. Either all Ti or all plastic.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Hmm.. I think I like the current one much more than this mock-up...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    ¥¡K?'s S¢o0B, He'$ CrE@TeD mOn$tEr!!!

• Reply 18 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Final solution huh?

Does it involve a train and communal showers?

Someone please close this anti-semitic thread.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by jindrich:

<strong>Pismos dont have any of the main Ti's faults. That's why is the standard protools laptop (never mind it's a G3 as ptools processing is done on its own DSPs).

we just demand a G4 pismo! (with better, brighter screen, better graphics and faster 1394) (oh, and superdive)</strong><hr></blockquote>

G4 = more heat.

Brighter screen = more heat.

SuperDrive = more heat.

(The other two won't necessarily boost energy consumption.)

If you stuffed those all into a Pismo, you'd probably find yourself sticking a few fans in the case with them.

If the Pismo works, use it. It's a lot cheaper now than a Ti in any case.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 25
    [quote] Final solution huh?

Does it involve a train and communal showers?

Someone please close this anti-semitic thread.

<hr></blockquote>

oh my friend, take it easy. English is my third language and more than often i dont know how to express myself. 'frogive' me

[quote] ¥¡K€'s S¢o0B, He'$ CrE@TeD mOn$tEr!!! <hr></blockquote>

that's why i called it "Franky" (a Frankenstein made from Ti and icebook)

Anyhow, i dont say the next powerbook should be like this mock up, just that i wouldnt mind to have it thicker (say 1,3" as the icebook) and made from other materials if only the heat and noise problems were solved.