Apple to be exclusive retailer of 'Red Raven' camera kit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Professional digital cinema camera company Red Digital Cinema on Tuesday announced Apple will be the exclusive retailer of its $15,000 Red Raven kit, which includes the Raven camera body, Sigma lens, carrying case and more.

The first Red camera body, or "brain," to come in under $10,000, the Raven debuted in 2015 and shipped to preorder customers in 2016. Apple's kit marks a return to component bundling for Red,w which has in the past configured Raven for sale alongside a variety of high-end first- and third-party accessories.

Along with the camera brain itself, which features a 9.9 megapixel CMOS sensor capable of up to 120fps capture at 4.5K resolutions, the kit contains Red's DSMC2 4.7-inch Touch LCD monitor, DSMC2 Outrigger Handle, V-Lock I/O Expander and 120GB Mini-Mag SSD. Also included are two IDX DUO-C98 batteries with VL-2X charger, G-Technology ev Series Mini-Mag Reader, Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM lens and custom Nanuk carrying case.

Apple's contribution to the set is a redemption code for Final Cut Pro X.

Like Red's more expensive offerings, Raven boasts a highly modular design, allowing filmmakers to mix and match lenses, storage, controls, inputs and more while maintaining high quality output. With a Red Dragon sensor and onboard processor, the brain is capable of shooting HDR out of the box and can simultaneously record in REDCODE RAW and Apple ProRes.

Raven's lightweight 3.5-pound body is ideal for handheld or gimbal shooting and can be mounted on larger drones.

Apple updated its online store with a dedicated page for the Red Raven kit, showing a purchase price of $14,999.95. A special promotional video shot entirely using Raven hardware is embedded on both Apple's product page and Red's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    That's a nice kit!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Hmm, why go exclusive?  Clearly Red wouldn't need to unless Apple wanted them to.  Could Apple be thinking in terms of an acquisition?  Maybe use these cameras exclusively to create its future body of AppleTV and Apple Music content as a means of promoting the hardware, and creating tighter integration into the Apple ecosystem?  Is this crazy thinking?  I'm not at all conversant in this realm.  Could there be some smoke here? 
    doozydozenAvieshekSpamSandwichleavingthebigg
  • Reply 3 of 33
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am surprised Apple will be the exclusive seller of Red Raven. Red cameras produce incredible cinematic quality videos and a lot of major movies are shot with Red. Here are a list of movies made with Red: http://www.red.com/shot-on-red/cinema
    radarthekatdoozydozenanton zuykovleavingthebigg
  • Reply 4 of 33
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Ahhhh... so that's the real reason Apple has marketed Product Red all this time... winks, climbs back under nearest rock... resumes napping...
    xzujony0
  • Reply 5 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    netrox said:
    I am surprised Apple will be the exclusive seller of Red Raven. Red cameras produce incredible cinematic quality videos and a lot of major movies are shot with Red. Here are a list of movies made with Red: http://www.red.com/shot-on-red/cinema
    Hmm, maybe Apple wants to insert itself into the heart of video production technology, not just become another content creator.

"Own the means of production"
    edited August 2017 SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Hmm, why go exclusive?  Clearly Red wouldn't need to unless Apple wanted them to.  Could Apple be thinking in terms of an acquisition?  Maybe use these cameras exclusively to create its future body of AppleTV and Apple Music content as a means of promoting the hardware, and creating tighter integration into the Apple ecosystem?  Is this crazy thinking?  I'm not at all conversant in this realm.  Could there be some smoke here? 
    I don't think so, but if Apple really wants to get back into pro markets, an acquisition of Red would be a great idea.  But having said that, Apple has been in and out of those markets so many times, I don't think the industry is ready to place their trust in Apple once again.   Totally independent small-scale filmmakers are somewhat of another story.   

I think this is nothing more than Red buying the equivalent of FinalCut Pro "coupons" at a discount.  And remember that the camera isn't exclusive to Apple, only this particular kit is.   
    1983radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That would be incredible if Apple bought RED. I never even considered the idea.
    Avieshekxzu
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No it's not crazy thinking. It would easier to acquire the talent behind the technology instead of starting from scratch. 
  • Reply 9 of 33
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    Well, Apples are Red in colour.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I don't think the Red Raven camera is exclusive to Apple Stores. This is a bundled starter kit with Apple's Final Cut Pro X and several additional Red and 3rd party components that's an Apple exclusive. IMHO Apple really wants to promote Final X Pro, take back some of the audience they lost with all their product changes, and putting together a kit that uses the Red Raven camera is one way of doing that. Professionals hanging with professionals.
    edited August 2017 xzuanton zuykov
  • Reply 11 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    I don't think the Red Raven camera is exclusive to Apple Stores. This is a bundled starter kit with Apple's Final Cut Pro X and several additional Red and 3rd party components that's an Apple exclusive. IMHO Apple really wants to promote Final X Pro, take back some of the audience they lost with all their product changes, and putting together a kit that uses the Red Raven camera is one way of doing that. Professionals hanging with professionals.
    Your particular assessment makes the most sense so far.

I'm intrigued by this system's relatively low weight in conjunction with drone applications.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    netrox said:
    This particular kit is what is exclusive. Manufacturers do retail-specific bundles all the time.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    zoetmb said:
    I don't think so, but if Apple really wants to get back into pro markets, an acquisition of Red would be a great idea.  But having said that, Apple has been in and out of those markets so many times, I don't think the industry is ready to place their trust in Apple once again.   Totally independent small-scale filmmakers are somewhat of another story.   

I think this is nothing more than Red buying the equivalent of FinalCut Pro "coupons" at a discount.  And remember that the camera isn't exclusive to Apple, only this particular kit is.   
    Your hit the nail on the head.  Only this kit is exclusive.  It's just marketing. Too many here have read it as a Red exclusive and that would make zero sense. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Remember when Red announced an android phone? The $1200 modular Hydrogen with holographic display? The only phone I've ever seen that would make me give up iPhone?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Remember when Red announced an android phone? The $1200 modular Hydrogen with holographic display? The only phone I've ever seen that would make me give up iPhone?
    Maybe that never happens and instead there's a RED edition iPhone 8... ;)
  • Reply 16 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It’s very interesting, and surprising. It’s a thought about an acquisition. That wouldn’t have occurred to me before seeing thus.

though it’s odd. Apple isn’t equipped to sell highly specialized gear like this which includes a lot of handholding, except for their own. I wonder if some people have gone for training. Of course, this is an inexpensive piece of gear for RED, almost an introduction to the system.but possibly it portends a more serious push back into high end video.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    I don't think the Red Raven camera is exclusive to Apple Stores.
    It is exclusive to Apple for now. Dealers might be able to get one for you in the future... (Interesting exchange: "Why is Raven also not available in the RED store? I don't understand that. Jarred Land -Read the title of the post.. had to give , to get " -  the title of the post is "Sometimes you need to Give to Get. ")
    They (Red) are barely catching up with the pre-orders that happened more than a year ago and now they are ready to ship from Apple - wow.

Jarred Land (CEO of Red) said that Apple was able to get this from Red because of the new Mac Pro - he kind of implied that he'd seen the plans for it or even a prototype and said that Apple is finally back on the Pro train.
    (Found it: "Apple gets Raven only because of their new investment into their Mac pro hardware program. That was the deal. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team to push for a much bigger cause. I hope everyone can read between those lines and congratulate apple for putting some skin back in the game that so many assumed they just abandoned.")
    I had a few thoughts about the Hydrogen being the iPhone X... that would be cool. ;)

Red has loved Apple throughout the years. But lately they've had to look at PC crap because of the lacking CPU and GPU support in Apple boxes. The first time I met Jim (founder of Red) was at an Apple event in Vegas right before the reveal of the Red One where he turned the cinema camera world upside down. I've been an advocate ever since.

edited August 2017 SpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    It is exclusive to Apple for now. Dealers might be able to get one for you in the future... (Interesting exchange: "Why is Raven also not available in the RED store? I don't understand that. Jarred Land -Read the title of the post.. had to give , to get " -  the title of the post is "Sometimes you need to Give to Get. ")
    They (Red) are barely catching up with the pre-orders that happened more than a year ago and now they are ready to ship from Apple - wow.

Jarred Land (CEO of Red) said that Apple was able to get this from Red because of the new Mac Pro - he kind of implied that he'd seen the plans for it or even a prototype and said that Apple is finally back on the Pro train.
    (Found it: "Apple gets Raven only because of their new investment into their Mac pro hardware program. That was the deal. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team to push for a much bigger cause. I hope everyone can read between those lines and congratulate apple for putting some skin back in the game that so many assumed they just abandoned.")
    I had a few thoughts about the Hydrogen being the iPhone X... that would be cool. ;)

Red has loved Apple throughout the years. But lately they've had to look at PC crap because of the lacking CPU and GPU support in Apple boxes. The first time I met Jim (founder of Red) was at an Apple event in Vegas right before the reveal of the Red One where he turned the cinema camera world upside down. I've been an advocate ever since.

I've had some chats with Jim Jannard on cinematography.com. He's really on top of his game.
    studiomusic
  • Reply 20 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:

I've had some chats with Jim Jannard on cinematography.com. He's really on top of his game.
    He’s also a rather thin skinned individual. I spoke to him a couple of years ago at the NAB conference. Just ask anything that isn’t absolutely positive in nature, and he flies off the handle. I knew that, so I was careful, but some others had their heads handed to them for even questioning several statements he made in the RED forum.