New user interface sounds unique to Apple's HomePod pulled out of released firmware

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The delve into the HomePod firmware continues, with enterprising coders extracting resources including user interface sounds from the device.

The sounds were extracted by Avery Magnotti and pulled from the audioOS resources in the file. In order of presentation, they are alarm1, Lighthouse, SessionInactive, SetupFinal, SetupStepSource, SetupStepTarget, timer1, TwoShot, and WOCAudioPasscodeTone.

Magnotti also discovered on Monday that the HomePod would have 1GB of RAM, and a 272x340 screen -- the same as the 38mm Apple Watch.

A graphic that appears to represent the form factor of the as-yet unreleased "iPhone 8" was also gleaned from examination of the firmware, as well as resolution and display size information.

Apple's $349 HomePod was revealed at the 2017 WWDC and will ship in December. The HomePod is powered by an Apple A8 chip and features realtime acoustic modeling, audio beam-forming, and multi-channel echo cancelation. It also contains a subset of Siri, optimized for music consumption.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    this is the first I've heard of a screen...was this news out before today? so it will be on the top showing different commands im assuming?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    I think that's the colorful thing you see at the top of the device in the picture above. it may just be used for animated abstract patterns at this point. 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I think that's the colorful thing you see at the top of the device in the picture above. it may just be used for animated abstract patterns at this point. 
    yeah, you're right...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    this is the first I've heard of a screen...was this news out before today? so it will be on the top showing different commands im assuming?
    The "screen" has been there from the beginning, but there's no evidence to show that's being used for anything more than a subtle animated to indicate when the HomePod is listening to your Siri command. IOW, it's just a fancy indicator lights. They could make it display text, but you're only talking about the Watch display on what may be under a translucent plastic cover.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Whatever it is.. it's definitely not a normal speaker. 1 GB RAM is definitely a lot of RAM and nothing on Apple indicates a screen. On Apple's site, it said, "The top also shows you when Siri is listening, with an LED waveform that animates with your every word." I think it's for Apple Watch to link with HomePod, not the HomePod itself.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    netrox said:
    Whatever it is.. it's definitely not a normal speaker. 1 GB RAM is definitely a lot of RAM and nothing on Apple indicates a screen. On Apple's site, it said, "The top also shows you when Siri is listening, with an LED waveform that animates with your every word." I think it's for Apple Watch to link with HomePod, not the HomePod itself.
    You're saying the HomePod's LEDs won't animate when Siri is listening? Why would they need an extra display on the HomePod just to link to Watch when Watch already has a display? What about your quoted text seems so unbelievable to you that you'd dismiss it?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mauijoemauijoe Posts: 77member
    A few small leaks of thing that are already widely speculated only add to people's interest and don't really hurt Apple a bit...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Is anyone really into these things?  Tech overload
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    That small screen will project a holographic image of the speakers owner dancing to the tunes that are playing.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    That lighthouse chime is for the freaking room calibration. I freaking know it. GENIUS. 
    palomine
  • Reply 11 of 12

Wait a min, hope I don't sound racist but I thought the HomePod was White?

• Reply 12 of 12

Wait a min, hope I don't sound racist but I thought the HomePod was White?

It is, if you want white, or you can get black.