Apple's sustainable forests now offset paper used in product packaging

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2017
Apple's efforts to achieve a net-zero impact on the world's virgin fiber are paying off, as the company is now protecting or has created enough sustainable forestland to cover all paper packaging products.

Late last week, Apple said the Forest Stewardship Council, a body responsible for creating eco-friendly forestry standards, certified approximately 320,000 acres of working forest the company is supporting in China, reports Xinhua.

With the new certification, Apple is now protecting or has created enough sustainable forest to offset fiber use related to product packaging. The tech giant is further protecting virgin fiber by developing smaller package designs and increasing the ratio of recycled paper used in its products.

According to an email from Apple, two-thirds of the newly certified forest is owned and managed by Maoyuan Forestry in Hunan province, while the remainder is managed by the state-owned Qinlian Forestry Company in Guangxi, the report said. A separate report from Environmental Leader notes the World Wildlife Fund worked with both Chinese companies to gain FSC certification by implementing forest management plans and training employees to identify High Conservation Value Forest.

Apple's Chinese forestry program, accomplished in partnership with the WWF, debuted in 2015 as a commitment to create or transition one million acres of responsibly managed forest by 2020. The company points out its first goal, to increase responsible management of working forests by 300,000 acres, was reached in two years.

"We found that the Chinese were willing to be wonderful partners, both on the private- and public-sector side because they have a real appreciation for the forest resource," Lisa Jackson, VP of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives, said in a statement to Greenbiz. "We're finding that China is very fertile soil to grow green programs."

Apple's forestry initiative took root in early 2015 with the purchase of 36,000 acres of vulnerable forestland in Maine and North Carolina through The Conservation Fund's Working Forest Fund. In March, yields from the two states hit 13,000 metric tons of wood, good enough to cover about 30 percent of Apple's product packaging needs in 2015.

The recent FSC certification arrives as Apple continues work toward a net-zero environmental balance. In 2015, the company announced its China operations were 100 percent carbon neutral. A year later, Apple began to apply pressure on its Asian supply chain to commit to clean energy agreements.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    One of the best ways to preserve our environment is via conservation. That Apple is looking to reduce packaging size implies the company is coming around to this view.  There certainly seems to be much room to improve in that aspect; the Series 2 Watch I just purchased came in the same style/size packaging my Series 1 had come in back in April 2015.  Seems excessive to this conservationist. 
    edited July 2017 Solipscooter63jony0lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 16
    What apple and others are doing is nothing more than “Enron accounting”.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I just got my MBP 15" 3.1 GHz today and the packaging was very minimal - the most minimal I've ever seen.  The vast majority of the materials were paper based with a very small amount of protective film for the computer and power brick. The outer box was shrink wrapped which is bad, but I'm not sure there is a suitable substitute.  Overall the packaging was much less elaborate and has much lower impact compared to the packaging on my outgoing 2010 15" MBP.
    radarthekatjony0
  • Reply 4 of 16
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Great. But does Apple want to truly protect the environment? Really? Then: - Stop making iMac and do headless desktop Macs. CPU may last for seven years, but displays last for more than 20 years. - Stop using batteries whenever possible. Make wired keyboards and mice. - Stop wireless charging (a waste of energy).
    hammerd2dasanman69
  • Reply 5 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    One of the best ways to preserve our environment is via conservation. That Apple is looking to reduce packaging size implies the company is coming around to this view.  There certainly seems to be much room to improve in that aspect; the Series 2 Watch I just purchased came in the same style/size packaging my Series 1 had come in back in April 2015.  Seems excessive to this conservationist. 
    I'd like them to find a way to either stop offering PSUs with their iDevices or have some sort of trade in for old PSUs. These solid-state components typically don't break down, typically stay the same YoY (although this year we should see this jump up, although it may be an accessory charge), contain heavy metals, aren't cheap, and cause the box to be considerably larger as a result.

Can you explain how planting trees is "nothing more" than unethically cooking the books?

appex said:
    Great. But does Apple want to truly protect the environment? Really? Then: - Stop making iMac and do headless desktop Macs. CPU may last for seven years, but displays last for more than 20 years. - Stop using batteries whenever possible. Make wired keyboards and mice. - Stop wireless charging (a waste of energy).
    1) You do know their headless Macs are the least popular Macs, right?

2) Even if you count all their desktop Macs, that's still just a blip compared to their notebooks, and then consider that those are just a fraction of their iPad sales, and that it's all just a spec compared to the Phone. Along with the Apple Watch they all have displays.

3) 20 years ago there where 5K displays with 200+ PPI that were ISP with LED backlights?  Of course not. You realize that was the year Jobs came back to Apple, right? Your CPU will last just as long—if not longer—than a display so it's disingenuous to say that it won't last. You simply don't want to use it. 7 years is pretty pretty much the long average for a display as people move to better, bigger, and brighter displays. This trend will not change.

4) Stop using batteries is an asinine statement. From digital watches, to smoke detectors, to automobiles, to the iPhone, and countless other devices the battery is part of our daily lives. This desire for always-ready, portable power will only increase over the years. I don't even understand how you could say such a thing.

5) Why does Apple to have to make a wired peripherals? If you want wired then buy wired.

6) If you really wanted to deal with e-waste you'd simply not buy new stuff, but you're not going to do that because it's impossible. To live is to consume.

7) You really think it feasible that the Apple Watch has a plug to charge the device with Lightning instead of using inductive charging?
    hzcmacxpresspscooter63jony0StrangeDayssennen
  • Reply 6 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I just read through your eighteen posts thus far.  A real ray of positive sunshine aren't you? 
    tzm41pscooter63jony0fracStrangeDaysminicoffeeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 16
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Ah, eco-indulgences.  Gotta love it.

Apple is wasting their time.  Nature is taking care of itself, thank you very much, and certainly without Apple's help.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12226

• Reply 8 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    appex said:
    Yes we know....stop trolling us with this stupid post. 
    jony0fracStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 16
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    toddzrx said:

Apple is wasting their time.  Nature is taking care of itself, thank you very much, and certainly without Apple's help.

OK...I'll bite. 
    Just what is it that you feel unnecessary to know about the effects of rising atmospheric CO2 levels that you could have gleaned if you had bothered to read the articles on your site link?
    More CO2 >> more planet greening >> good
    ...is not a valid argument. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    appex said:
    Just stop with all the nonsense yourself! 
    The sheer number of phones that replaced PCs saved the planet from tens of millions of tonnes of landfill alone. Containing batteries that saved the planet from millions of tonnes of defunct power brick landfill. 
    What does your world look like on your CRT monitor?
    Soli
  • Reply 11 of 16
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    frac said:
    toddzrx said:

OK...I'll bite. 
    Just what is it that you feel unnecessary to know about the effects of rising atmospheric CO2 levels that you could have gleaned if you had bothered to read the articles on your site link?
    More CO2 >> more planet greening >> good
    ...is not a valid argument. 
    Hello tree: meet forest.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    appex said:
    Same old nonsense bullshit you drop every thread. Monitors do not last 20 years. If you’re using one from 20 years ago your resolution and energy efficiency suck. iMacs get longer useful lifespans than all the crappy cheap PCs — why don’t you ask for Dell or HP to be discontinued?

Wireless is a waste of energy? So you’re using a wired telephone, are you. Riiiight. 

Don’t do drugs, kids. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 13 of 16

I truly appreciate what Apple is doing right now.

However, I just loved the Origami style packaging of the iPod 3rd Generation. It was the first Apple product I bought and was probably the classiest packaging I had ever seen.

The later iPods had colour pics on the box, but the 3rd Generation was iconic with just a greyscale colour scheme!

I guess it was part of the extravagance that you got buying an Apple product.

On another note, I wonder why Apple shipped the 5c in a plastic box. Was it actually cheaper to manufacture than a cardboard box?

• Reply 14 of 16
    appex said:
    Great. But does Apple want to truly protect the environment? Really? Then: - Stop wireless charging (a waste of energy).
    I recall a keynote comment that the wireless charging implemented by Apple would be extremely efficient. Here's what I found with a quick search: Apple Awarded a Patent for a Highly-Efficient Inductive Charging System with Advanced Plug Connector http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/04/apple-awarded-a-patent-for-a-highly-efficient-inductive-charging-system-with-advanced-plug-connector.html
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    appex said:
    CPU may last for seven years, but displays last for more than 20 years.
    I really liked the move to make iMacs operate as standalone displays; you could keep using it after it outlived its hardware’s usefulness! Then Apple stopped after two years. And then stopped selling displays entirely. Very strange.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    toddzrx said:

I support efforts to both reduce material waste and save production costs by the private sector. It's better that such initiatives continue to be voluntary, rather than be forced on them by decree.