Will Smith, James Corden to star in first Carpool Karaoke episode

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2017
Apple on Thursday shared a new ad for its upcoming "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" exclusive, revealing Will Smith and late night host James Corden will star as the show's first pairing.

The short 30-second spot posted to Apple's YouTube channel shows snippets of "Carpool's" first episode, set to premiere on Aug. 8.

An extension of the original Carpool Karaoke segment made popular on "The Late Late Show With James Corden," the Apple Music version runs 30 minutes in length and follows a pair of celebrities as they take a road trip and sing along to their favorite tunes.

As seen in the commercial below, the show's first episode finds Smith joined by Corden driving and singing through the streets of Los Angeles. Things intensify later in the episode when the pair board a helicopter for some Chopper Karaoke, fittingly set to R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly."

Apple first announced work on the "Carpool Karaoke" spinoff last July, later scheduling a release date in March. After two delays, the most recent in April, Apple's second original Apple Music series will air next week.

Following the Smith and Corden episode, "Carpool" is slated to feature A-list celebrities and musicians including Metallica, Chelsea Handler, Blake Shelton, Shaquille O'Neal, John Legend, John Cena, Ariana Grande, Game of Thrones co-stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, and more.

Apple will air 16 episodes of the show on a weekly basis, a release schedule similar to that of its recent "Planet of the Apps" show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    This should've been Apple Music's first original program not Planet of the Apps. I'm actually looking forward to watching this.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm interested in this as I've enjoyed the small segments on his late night show, but I'm not going to sign up to Apple Music so I can watch it.
    edited August 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I envision amateur copycats popping up on YouTube, which could turn this series into a minor phenomenon.  Apple likely won't invite such flattery as it could place people in danger driving around filming themselves versus paying attention to the road, but lacking that risk there would be a great opportunity to issue a competition, ala the annual amatuer commercials challenge issued by Doritos.  
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I envision amateur copycats popping up on YouTube, which could turn this series into a minor phenomenon.  Apple likely won't invite such flattery as it could place people in danger driving around filming themselves versus paying attention to the road, but lacking that risk there would be a great opportunity to issue a competition, ala the annual amatuer commercials challenge issued by Doritos.  
    Wouldn't that have already happened with the popularity of Carpool Karaoke over the last several years?
    jony0lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would love for this to be a big success for Apple, but the idea seems played out to me already.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Soli said:
    Wouldn't that have already happened with the popularity of Carpool Karaoke over the last several years?
    I think it enjoyed niche popularity.  And maybe that'll still be the case given the limited size of Apple Music's installed base.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Soli said:
    I think it enjoyed niche popularity.  And maybe that'll still be the case given the limited size of Apple Music's installed base.
    1) I feel like this is simply to promote Apple Music so even if it's just people being attracted to a single artist they happen to love it should help drive some attention.

2) I still hear people dumping on Apple Music but it's paid subscriber base is already 1/2 that of Spotify. What was it when they bought it from Beats 2 years ago?
    edited August 2017 ronn
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Not interested...at all.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I don't get it, but I understand that not everything Apple does is geared around me. 
    Soli
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    —Party Pooper Alert—
    Isn't it irresponsible to sing and drive?

On a second note:
    I understand that Carpool karaoke is tangentially related to music. However, shouldn't video content be part of  TV instead of  Music? Or is  Music a streaming version of iTunes? 

Speaking of which:
    Craig Federighi, Eddy Cue, and Jimmy Iovine, will only get me sign up to Apple Music if they makes it a standalone app in macOS. Until then I will stay with Soundcloud, for as long as it lasts … . 

>:x

EDIT: Apple should buy Soundcloud if they are serious about Connect.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 11 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Corden ↑
    Smith ↓

The bits with Corden and various stars was brilliant. Simple and fun. I think Apple's version will be over produced and too gimmicky, as in a helicopter. But I'll watch to see how it goes.

mr o said:
    —Party Pooper Alert—
    Isn't it irresponsible to sing and drive?

No.

mr o said:
    However, shouldn't video content be part of  TV instead of  Music?
    No. Music Video content, which this is, should be on Apple Music and/or iTunes. It could be on Apple TV, but 'should'— no. And it's promotional content for Apple Music.
    Soli
  • Reply 12 of 14
    macgui said:
    mr o said:
    However, shouldn't video content be part of  TV instead of  Music?
    No. Music Video content, which this is, should be on Apple Music and/or iTunes. It could be on Apple TV, but 'should'— no. And it's promotional content for Apple Music.
    I disagree. Videos, Podcasts, and Books (about music) should each have their own app. From an Information Architecture point of view, it is a nightmare* if you try to cater for all in one app.

(*) Here's what I would do:

1. Music should give me full access and control to Music, as it is doing right now. 
    2. iTunes ought to be scaled back to its core functionality: a Music Store and a Music Library.
    3. Connect ought to be a web application that gives me access to the music I own. As a member of  Music, I would also be able to (1) have access to my liked music and music playlists from  Music, and (2) discover other people's likes and music playlists. The Connect web application would reside in iCloud.com.

Of course, these ideas need to be verified first with user research interviews.

EDIT: Layout
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    mr o said:
    I disagree. Blah, blah, blah...
    I agree to disagree. Music videos with Music. Just because it's video is no reason to relegate it to Apple solely to ATV.

Allow it to show on TV also? Sure, why not. Restrict it to ATV? No. One should be able to access all musical content in at least one place. Music videos in a separate location isolated from the rest of your music? Not a chance.
    Soli
  • Reply 14 of 14
    macgui said:
    mr o said:
    I disagree. Blah, blah, blah...
    I agree to disagree. Music videos with Music. Just because it's video is no reason to relegate it to Apple solely to ATV.

Allow it to show on TV also? Sure, why not. Restrict it to ATV? No. One should be able to access all musical content in at least one place. Music videos in a separate location isolated from the rest of your music? Not a chance.
    This is where Personas* come in handy: to steer clear of internal conflicts between industry experts, designers, and engineers.

(*) Fictional users with set goals & behaviours, based on user research interviews.