iPhone 7 & 7 Plus seen edging out iPhone 6s lineup in US to become Apple's most-used model...

Posted:
in iPhone
Just ahead of an anticipated "iPhone 8" and "iPhone 7s/7s Plus" reveal, newly-published research shows Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are the most used iPhone models in the U.S. with a 34 percent of the install base.

Of an estimated 141 million units, about 48 million are iPhone 7/7 Plus models, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners said on Thursday. That's barely ahead of the 47 million iPhone 6s and 6s Plus units in circulation.

About 39 million iPhone 6/6 Plus models are thought to be in use. Those devices were Apple's first phones to break past the 4-inch screen size barrier, and in fact the company recently put out a 32-gigabyte iPhone 6, presumably hoping to lure people who want a "cheap" iPhone without the small screen size of the iPhone SE.

The SE has seen its install base gradually expand to 6 percent over the past year, CIRP noted. "Plus" models are also taking up a larger share, collectively sitting at 38 percent now versus 29 percent a year ago. The overall U.S. iPhone base is up from 124 million units in June 2016.

The "iPhone 8", due sometime this fall, should feature an edge-to-edge OLED screen, facial recognition, wireless charging and other upgrades such as "SmartCam" technology. The "7s" and "7s Plus" are forecast to stick to 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCD panels, but carry over some other "8 series" advancements, like wireless charging and faster processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Wow. 

On an unrelated note, it just occurred to me that the "teardrop" leak from a few years back could have been a prototype option for the camera bump which they decided to not go with. Anyway... 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Looks like the BS headphone jack is KILLER argument is not working.
    watto_cobraStrangeDayscali
  • Reply 3 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Just ahead of an anticipated "iPhone 8" and "iPhone 7s/7s Plus" reveal, newly-published research shows Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are the most used iPhone models in the U.S. with a 34 percent of the install base.

Of an estimated 141 million units, about 48 million are iPhone 7/7 Plus models, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners said on Thursday. That's barely ahead of the 47 million iPhone 6s and 6s Plus units in circulation.

About 39 million iPhone 6/6 Plus models are thought to be in use. Those devices were Apple's first phones to break past the 4-inch screen size barrier, and in fact the company recently put out a 32-gigabyte iPhone 6, presumably hoping to lure people who want a "cheap" iPhone without the small screen size of the iPhone SE.

The SE has seen its install base gradually expand to 6 percent over the past year, CIRP noted. "Plus" models are also taking up a larger share, collectively sitting at 38 percent now versus 29 percent a year ago. The overall U.S. iPhone base is up from 124 million units in June 2016.

The "iPhone 8", due sometime this fall, should feature an edge-to-edge OLED screen, facial recognition, wireless charging and other upgrades such as "SmartCam" technology. The "7s" and "7s Plus" are forecast to stick to 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCD panels, but carry over some other "8 series" advancements, like wireless charging and faster processors.
    Only 39 million iPhone 6 & 6+ in circulation?   I'm thinking a lot more than that were sold.  Where did they go?  
    -- How many are sitting in a drawer because the owner purchased an iPhone 7 two years later?
    -- How many died or got broken?
    -- How many stolen for parts?

Mine is one those 39million and it's (knock on wood) working just fine.  I'm hoping to get another year or maybe two out of it before replacing...   I a way, it's better than having a new phone because I don't worry so much about it.  For instance, when I go for a run I remove the case to save weight and bulk.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    But but but — the tech press said removing the legacy headphone port is anti-user! And poweruser commenters said “no buy!” 

Oh, wait. Those people don’t represent normals whatsoever. 
    edited August 2017 cali
  • Reply 5 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Peak iPhone"
  • Reply 6 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Only 39 million iPhone 6 & 6+ in circulation?   I'm thinking a lot more than that were sold.  Where did they go?  
    -- How many are sitting in a drawer because the owner purchased an iPhone 7 two years later?
    -- How many died or got broken?
    -- How many stolen for parts?

Mine is one those 39million and it's (knock on wood) working just fine.  I'm hoping to get another year or maybe two out of it before replacing...   I a way, it's better than having a new phone because I don't worry so much about it.  For instance, when I go for a run I remove the case to save weight and bulk.
    The numbers seem way way off, people don't throw away functioning 2 year old phones. That makes absolutely no sense.
    So, I call total absolute bullshit to their numbers, they make no sense at all considering other studies about what happens to phones every years, sold, passed on, broken, stored,...  If you take those numbers, you get a a way different number than them.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    I'm curious as to how they measure that - I couldn't spot the report on the site. Blog posts are months old, media post are from 2014 at the newest?

Foggyhill: don't forget it's only US numbers, not worldwide
  • Reply 8 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mknelson said:
    I'm curious as to how they measure that - I couldn't spot the report on the site. Blog posts are months old, media post are from 2014 at the newest?

Foggyhill: don't forget it's only US numbers, not worldwide
    That could explain it.   For the past 5+ years there has been a demand for cheaper iPhones in the foreign markets.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    We must see the flip side of the strong iPhone 7/7 Plus sales. While the strong sales of iPhone 7 may be good for Apple in the short term, it may actually end up harming the company in the long run. If more and more users upgrade to iPhone 7, then they are less likely to upgrade to the upcoming iPhone 8 as there would be a few percentage of people who upgrade their devices within a year or less. So this could be a bad new for Apple.