'Apple Watch Series 3' rumored to boast all-new form factor [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2017
On the heels of news that Apple intends to release an LTE-equipped Apple Watch model later this year, a new rumor surfaced claiming the smartwatch line will receive its first design refresh since launch in 2015.

In a post regarding Bloomberg's report on the so-called "Apple Watch Series 3," well-connected blogger John Gruber, without citing sources, said the device is due for an aesthetic revamp.

"No mention in Businessweek's report, though, of the all-new form factor that I've heard is coming for this year's new watches," Gruber writes. "That tidbit came from an unconfirmed little birdie, though, so I wouldn't bet the house on it."

The launch of a redesigned Apple Watch in 2017 would follow Apple's usual two-year design incubation period for portable devices. Since the debut of iPhone in 2007, the tech giant has employed a tick-tock design cycle for products like iPhone and iPad. A more lengthy period is applied to other hardware like Mac.

Today's rumor lines up with predictions KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo published early last year. Before Apple Watch Series 2 debuted, Kuo said the second-generation device would boast internal upgrades similar in fashion to iPhone "s" series variants. Those looking for a big redesign, like a slimmer profile, would have to wait until 2017, the analyst said.

Indeed, Apple implemented a number of minor component updates with Apple Watch Series 2 last September, including a GPS module, water resistant chassis, brighter display and faster dual-core S2 processor, but left aesthetics largely unchanged. A new material was also introduced in the white ceramic Apple Watch Edition, replacing the pricey solid gold models that debuted in 2015.

Whether the new form factor will continue to feature Apple Watch's iconic square shape is unknown. If the refreshed design is a vast departure from current offerings, perhaps a round-faced option -- it could mean an end of support for existing accessories like Watch bands and straps.

Rumors about a third-generation Apple Watch remain sparse, though some have suggested the future device will feature advanced health and fitness capabilities like sleep tracking and glucose monitoring.

Update: This article has been updated with information clarifying the rumor's source.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    My wife and I love our Apple Watch Series 2's.

That said, I'm always excited when a possible new design comes out. Anything they can improve on will make an already great product even that much better.
    bshanklostkiwiwatto_cobralolliverstantheman
  • Reply 2 of 94
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    I don't see them coming out with an "all-new" form factor, maybe a slimmer version of the current. Why? It's like the original hard drive based iPod or the white ear buds. They never changed the design because it was a recognizeable form factor. As soon as you saw those white ear buds, you knew that someone had an iPod. As soon as you see someone with a smart watch, you will recognize if it is an Watch imediately. Just my 2¢ though.
    cornchipjonagoldwatto_cobraradarthekatnetmageRacerhomieXbb-15cyberzombielolliverstantheman
  • Reply 3 of 94
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    round please
    williamlondonavon b7tyler82
  • Reply 4 of 94
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    JinTech said:
    I don't see them coming out with an "all-new" form factor, maybe a slimmer version of the current. Why? It's like the original hard drive based iPod or the white ear buds. They never changed the design because it was a recognizeable form factor. As soon as you saw those white ear buds, you knew that someone had an iPod. As soon as you see someone with a smart watch, you will recognize if it is an Watch imediately. Just my 2¢ though.
    Yes, but look at the form factor of other devices, like the iPod mini, nano, or shuffle. Dramatically different over time.

You are correct about the ear buds; even if I hate them (and hardly ever use them.)

Much was made of the square form factor as the way to handle information display of lists. I can see Apple rethinking that in favor of round. I like my original AW, use it all the time. But they did ditch the round scrolly thingy for contacts in a watchOS revamp, so this seems a bit regressive. 

If I was to ask for something in AW, it wouldn't be a new form factor, or even slimmer. It would be that Siri stop being so damn stupid.
    entropyscornchippalomine
  • Reply 5 of 94
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Daily charging makes this product something I'd never want. Certainly don't need it with an iPhone in my pocket.
    williamlondontokyojimuelectrosoftbrucemc
  • Reply 6 of 94
    dougd said:
    Daily charging makes this product something I'd never want. Certainly don't need it with an iPhone in my pocket.

Speaking as someone who wore a watch 23.8 hours a day before the Apple Watch, putting the watch on the nightstand while sleeping is no big deal.
    bshankakindcJinTechjonagoldlarryjwwilliamlondonwatto_cobrachristopher126netmagechia
  • Reply 7 of 94
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...this might be one situation where I side with Samesong and vote round (S2) as an iconographic tradition and pure form... http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smartwatches/ While I might rationalize the choices made, the Apple Watch form seems questionable to be improved, linear text display benefits notwithstanding... Could I wear this by choice, especially at $500+? If it is to be square should it be square, if linear then linear, if round then round, and in only materials like stainless or clear anodized aluminum that will resist gouging and scratching? Hope springs eternal... Go Apple go...
    avon b7
  • Reply 8 of 94
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    I hope it is compatible with all the current bands. I'd balk at buying if I couldn't use my link bracelet 
    watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 9 of 94
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    dougd said:
    Need, yes. I don't need my iPhone either. But with AW it stays where it belongs most of the time. In my pocket.

I haven't ever worn a watch to bed, so daily charging is a non-issue for me. 

I concur that deciding on what technology to acquire is a personal choice. 
    watto_cobranetmagelolliverbancho
  • Reply 10 of 94
    akindcakindc Posts: 14member
    Round face = insta-buy.
    jcallowswilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 94
    If they change the watch so the bands don't fit it will be a tough pill to swallow. I have the Apple link bracelet and several other Apple and premium third party bands. Would be very disappointing. However Tim and company are smart and know people spent good money on their own bands plus stuff like Hermes. I doubt they would anger so many people. 
    watto_cobrabshanknetmage
  • Reply 12 of 94
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Keep it a rectangle, but with a larger and higher red microLED display.
    edited August 2017 anantksundaramwatto_cobraiqatedo
  • Reply 13 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I really don’t want round. People, just get over it, round sucks for smart watches. The only reason mechanical watches are usually, but not always round, is because of the hands traveling in a circle.

the one thing they better not do is to change the way the bands attach. That would be a big error.
    edited August 2017 Solianantksundarampscooter63robin huberjonagoldwatto_cobrabshanknetmagebrucemcdoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 94
    If it's round, I'll watch "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe." Heck, why not just give it four buttons too so I can play a decent game of a Pacman ripoff?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 94
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    jcallows said:
    round please
    No Please...Round watches are a waste of space.

dougd said:
    Is it really that hard to drop the damn watch on the charger while you sleep? You most likely need to charge your phone as well every night. 
    edited August 2017 pscooter63cornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobrabshanknetmageStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 16 of 94
    melgross said:
    I really don’t want round. People, just get over it, round sucks for smart watches. The only reason mechanical watches are usually, but not always round, is because of the hands traveling in a circle.

the one thing they better not do is to change the way the bands attach. That would be a big error.
    Couldn't agree more. A circular form factor would waste too much display space. And, I think it would be a real turn off for many early adopters if Apple changed the way the Watch band attaches. In my case, for example, I have bands that, in the aggregate, cost as much as the Watch itself! I seriously doubt that they will change that.
    watto_cobrabshanknetmagedoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 17 of 94
    Lol. "Sleep tracker". 
    Like that's any good to you when it's sitting on the charger EVERY night. 
    Wont even entertain one until it lasts at least 3-4 days between charges. 
    Rest is as important as excersise to properly track fitness. 
    williamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 94
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Lol. "Sleep tracker". 
    Why do you need to charge it all night? I can charge mine during a shower. I also got 2 days use until I started using the watchOS 4 betas. 
    king editor the gratewatto_cobranetmagechiadoozydozencyberzombieStrangeDaysbancho
  • Reply 19 of 94
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    Lol. "Sleep tracker". 
    Why do you need to charge it all night? I can charge mine during a shower. I also got 2 days use until I started using the watchOS 4 betas. 
    Yeah mine charges quite fast...unless I do a bunch of crap with it, I rarely ever go below 50% battery life. 
    watto_cobradoozydozenbancho
  • Reply 20 of 94
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Why do people assume the bands/straps would need to be different?! Their connection method would work just as well on a slimmer and/or round watch. 
    jonagoldwatto_cobradoozydozen