'Apple Watch Series 3' rumored to boast all-new form factor [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Battery life is the most needed improvement. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    JinTech said:
    I don't see them coming out with an "all-new" form factor, maybe a slimmer version of the current. Why? It's like the original hard drive based iPod or the white ear buds. They never changed the design because it was a recognizeable form factor. As soon as you saw those white ear buds, you knew that someone had an iPod. As soon as you see someone with a smart watch, you will recognize if it is an Watch imediately. Just my 2¢ though.
    I don't see the new watch being a replacement for the old design,   Rather I see an expansion of the lineup with new form factors.   Why because it is a much jewelry as it is tech.
    robin hubercornchipmac_128
  • Reply 23 of 94
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Battery life is the most needed improvement. 
    I get great battery life with my series 2. What I think they need to really improve on is how long it takes to update the software and how long it takes to transfer playlists. Needs to be sped up. Also, should be able to transfer playlists or podcasts from 3rd party apps. You can download this stuff to your iPhone, why not Apple Watch?
  • Reply 24 of 94
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    mike1 said:
    Why do people assume the bands/straps would need to be different?! Their connection method would work just as well on a slimmer and/or round watch. 
    Ya, kinda. I can see a round watch with rectangular lugs to accept the smaller of the two bands. But to get proportions right it would have to be a pretty big circle. But they're in fashion right now so why not? 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 94
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    I don't have an Watch, but I like the square form factor. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to justify one financially.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 94
    I agree Mike1, everyone jumps to that conclusion that the strap connections would get redesigned.  I imagine Apple mapped the Watch several iterations into the future and I would highly doubt it includes shapeshifting it so soon. I'm sure the first question they beat to death was "what shape should it be and why?"  If anything I imagine it would be wider/rectangular, eventually turning into a cuff-like device way down the road. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 94
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I never underestimate Apple. I've learned never to trust my opinions in matters of design and style. 

Good designers no more about me that I do. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 94
    All of the icons on the rounded rectangle devices are rounded rectangles. All of the icons on the watch are circles. This leads me to believe that the Apple Watch was always intended to eventually be round.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 94
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Had the technology for a digital watch existed right from the start, it would have been absurd to create a round watch body/face, as there simply would have been no imperative to create a form so inefficient to the function of the timepiece.  Apple has simply set aside that imperative and determined that the best form is a watch body with straight sides, that simply extend the straight lines of the band around the wrist.  It's a more functionally elegant solution to the problem once you free yourself of the need to accommodate circular movements and the circular watch face those impose.  

Today, traditional round watch faces are a cultural tradition, but culture evolves and so do forms and the fashions that reflect them.  Apple will not build round smartwatches, as they are not the appropriate form for the smartwatch paradigm.  It's just that simple.  The rest are doing so in order to differentiate from Apple and to take advantage of the existing cultural dogma.  The future will take care to correct their error.

Soliwatto_cobrawilliamlondonbrucemcdoozydozenStrangeDaysGeorgeBMacwillcropoint
  • Reply 30 of 94
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I hope that Apple ADDS TO, rather that REPLACES the current design. Why not have a round, square, rectangular and other shapes?

Many fashionable watches come in different shapes. 

It won't happen all at once. Maybe we get an additional design every couple years. 

I think it was smart to begin with a square design. 

It would be smart to build a collection of interesting shapes & sizes. And then support and extend those designs for a long time. 
    edited August 2017 watto_cobramac_128doozydozen
  • Reply 31 of 94
    So locked down to developers and has helpless multitasking (not even as good as System 7), does not function as a watch as well as a watch and you will especially play the fool trying to show someone else what time it is), it can't play video or talk on low-power cell networks (battery limitation and screen size are their problems if they're not too busy playing with electric cars), proprietary watch bands (many of which are ridiculous but drag down the reputation of the whole product not just the watch band) and they come unglued if they get too warm costing a ridiculous amount of money (as a % of replacement cost) to repair or insure. The Emperor Has No Clothes.

There should be a wide opportunity for another manufacturer to produce a superior product but it won't happen because it's too risky to take on a company the size of Apple whose competing product is integrated into the AppStore and leverages its proprietary Xcode tools. 10 year timeout for that product category according to Bill Gates's watch.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    polymnia said:
    I hope that Apple ADDS TO, rather that REPLACES the current design. Why not have a round, square, rectangular and other shapes?
    The same reason that their other windowless OSes aren't changing up the aspect ratio constantly. They put a lot of forethought into changing every aspect ratio and resolution change so that it's as easy as possible for developers. Have at least 4 different UI aspect ratios at any given time for the same OS would just be a nightmare. How about you start by suggesting a second option and argue that the revenue and profits from Watch sales warrant the extra effort. From Apple's perspective, I don't think it does when you consider the heavily calculated approach to the iPhone, its biggest earner, but at least it would be on a footing is actually arguable.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobraanantksundaramradarthekatbrucemcdoozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 94
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    Lol. "Sleep tracker". 
    Like that's any good to you when it's sitting on the charger EVERY night. 
    Wont even entertain one until it lasts at least 3-4 days between charges. 
    Rest is as important as excersise to properly track fitness. 
    Don't be a weenie. Get 2 or 3 so you can alternate 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 34 of 94
    How does Ming Chi Kuo know all this stuff? And what is an unconfirmed birdie, is that like when something dubious happens on the golf course? There's been a lot of that going around heh heh
    radarthekat
  • Reply 35 of 94
    I have a black series 1 and only wear black band it came with. I would like the function where you can swipe different watch faces to be able instead to swipe, large type 'time' then swipe large type 'temperature,' swipe to what is playing controls, swipe to see run app, etc. If I could swipe to/thru say, six apps instead of using the small button on the side, then swiping, then touching to expand the app so I can see it.

Also, the running app, I just want to able to see time, current pace and distance. I don't care about cals, or average pace. I would like to have the ability to have just that info in the biggest type possible.

There needs to be through out the whole interface large type options! :) 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 36 of 94
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Make the display edge to edge instead of just using the current area.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 37 of 94
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    irnchriz said:
    Make the display edge to edge instead of just using the current area.
    I don't get this obsession with edge-to-edge without any consideration for usability or durability. There's a clear reason why devices have had bezels for so long. They will surely continue to diminish. Why not suggest a smaller bezel, perhaps even with a statement for a larger display within the same area of the top cover?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 38 of 94
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    I don't see the same issues with no bezel on a Watch as opposed to phone or tablet.
    radarthekatwilliamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 39 of 94
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    How does Ming Chi Kuo know all this stuff? And what is an unconfirmed birdie, is that like when something dubious happens on the golf course? There's been a lot of that going around heh heh
    It's similar to facial recognition, which is the ability to determine that someone has just come from a spa appointment.  
  • Reply 40 of 94
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:
    polymnia said:
    The same reason that their other windowless OSes aren't changing up the aspect ratio constantly. They put a lot of forethought into changing every aspect ratio and resolution change so that it's as easy as possible for developers. Have at least 4 different UI aspect ratios at any given time for the same OS would just be a nightmare. How about you start by suggesting a second option and argue that the revenue and profits from Watch sales warrant the extra effort. From Apple's perspective, I don't think it does when you consider the heavily calculated approach to the iPhone, its biggest earner, but at least it would be on a footing is actually arguable.
    I disagree. They could manage just fine. I'm a designer, and I'd enjoy the challenge of making my ideas work in various configurations. 

Apple would set the tone by making Watch faces for each hardware screen configuration with areas in each for developers to drop in complications. Then developers design an implementation for each.

Its not not that different than triggering different CSS for different screen dimensions in front end web Deb work. 

Anyway, Apple has managed to get devs to buy into 4 different iPhone screen sizes (about to be 5, if the rumors are to be believed). There have been 4 different iPad screen sizes. 

Bottom line, I'm more interested in fashionable watch designs than I am in making it cookie cutter easy for devs to build the front end of their apps. Call me inconsiderate if you like. But Apple is a company that puts form on equal, if not better, footing with function. In a watch, I want something that looks good, tells time, shows me notifications, and has other apps available—in that order. 
    mac_128