Purported 'iPhone 8' production photo shows L-shaped battery, wireless charging coil

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A new photo of the alleged "iPhone 8" engineering validation test codenamed "Ferrari" has been published on social media, with the image showing the locations of the charging coil, the stacked main board, and a void for where the L-shaped battery goes.

Published by Benjamin Geskin, and harvested from Chinese social media, the image repeats the "Ferrari" codename, first heard in December.

#iPhone8 Foxconn Production Photos. Shows wireless charging, stacked two-layer circuit board and "L" shaped batteryhttps://t.co/zVLHCWJmIX pic.twitter.com/M0oCpDXNqZ

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

"EVT" in the image stands for engineering validation test -- a stage that Apple should be well past. As a result, the age of the photo is not clear, nor is the authenticity.

However, the details conform closely to recent discoveries about the device gleaned from rummaging through the likely erroneously release of the HomePod firmware.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign, plus the inclusion of a 2.5D curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000, and others as much as $1,200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    What I find more interesting is WHY is Foxconn still using Wndows XP?!?
    xzumacseekerRacerhomieXAvieshekbaconstangdoozydozenmagman1979cornchipStrangeDaysSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 2 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Windows XP is still widely used in factory settings. 
    irelandRacerhomieXSolitmaycornchipretrogusto
  • Reply 3 of 53
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port.... and bringing back the audio jack right?
    baconstangcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 53
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port.... and bringing back the audio jack right?
    And if you need to transfer data via iTunes or choose to update your software that way you do what?
    Aviesheklolliver
  • Reply 5 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why would it be L-shaped? Look at the proportions of that L. It's two smaller rectangular batteries. I'm just eyeballing it and the sections look identical in size.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jb510 said:
    I'm pretty sure that the audio jack isn't coming back to the iPhone.
    RacerhomieXbb-15netmagetmaymagman1979watto_cobramejsricStrangeDaysmaxitlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 53
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    jb510 said:
    And if you need to transfer data via iTunes or choose to update your software that way you do what?
    For the small number of people still connecting their iPhones to a computer, there’s iTunes WiFi sync which has been around for years. 

Alternatively, we might see the introduction of the smart connector currently used in the iPad Pro models. 

Both would be slower than Lightning, but Apple’s not going to keep a port around for a small percentage of customers that still use it. 

And the poster who suggested the headphone jack might be coming back... I’m assuming that was a joke. 
    cornchipronnStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 8 of 53
    jb510 said:
    If Apple's goal was to go all wireless, they wouldn't retrofit a connector they've already removed.
    AviesheknetmageSoundJudgmentlolliverjony0
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Because they have machinery that is designed to work with it. They are closed systems. It is not like you can (or would have any reason to) just pop in a disc and update it.
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 10 of 53
    jb510 said:
    Neither of those are valid reasons, but diagnostics and device recovery are, so the Lightning port will be staying for a long, long time. Long past the time when no one uses it for charging.
    edited August 2017 tmaycornchipronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 53
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Why are their systems still using WinXP Aren't they connected to the internet?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port....

No. The inductive charging will become the primary way of charging for plenty of people, but there are lots of secondary uses for the Lightning port that are staying just as they are for a long time. Most Car Play integrations require a Lightning connector, very few actually support the Wireless method. Only way to restore/recover your iPhone. Nope. Lightning isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, despite it not being used for (most) charging anymore.
    jb510 said:
    .... and bringing back the audio jack right?

No.
    netmageronn
  • Reply 13 of 53
    The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. 
    you're not reading your own articles.  reduction in logic board space requirements allows for increased battery volume.  Reducing bezel size does not increase the available volume for batteries [related: a change in engineering the side/front/back panel integration may give more internal volume]  and I would think the inductive charging component will eat up any space gains.  

My guess is: OLED and better battery tech will give you better/same time between charges compared to the current iPhone 7
    baconstangronn
  • Reply 14 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    jb510 said:

Oh, definitely, will will bring back a jack. After-all, with all the internet outrage, the iPhone 7 sold absolutely horribly and Apple has no choice but to bring back an analog jack created in the 1800s. Because Apple is well known to kill off ports then bring them back on future revisions. 

Oh wait, in this reality, the iPhone 7 was actually the best selling iPhone in Apple's history, internet outrage is laughably meningless, and they can't even keep up with the demand for Airpods almost a year later. So, no. Good riddance. 
    netmagetmaymagman1979watto_cobraronnStrangeDaysmaxit
  • Reply 15 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jb510 said:
    1) Even when you add inductive charging it seems folly to suggest users sync a 256GB iPhone (possibly even 512GB) with WiFi or BT. Then you have issues accessories and the MFi program, and connecting to your automobile. And we're finally getting USB 3.0 speeds and possibly fast changing—which I don't want to give up. Word is the inductive charging will not included, which I can see happening since they don't even include the ast charging and USB 3.0 accessories with new iPad Pros.

2) Apple isn't one to make rash decisions with HW changes so I can't even fathom the removal of the antiquated 3.5mm audio jack for a single iPhone cycle. Do you also think that USB-A will be coming back to Macs? If you do, you shouldn't.
    tmaywatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 16 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I love seeing a condensed logic board.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 53
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    mr lizard said:
    jb510 said:
    For the small number of people still connecting their iPhones to a computer, there’s iTunes WiFi sync which has been around for years. 

Alternatively, we might see the introduction of the smart connector currently used in the iPad Pro models. 

Both would be slower than Lightning, but Apple’s not going to keep a port around for a small percentage of customers that still use it. 

And the poster who suggested the headphone jack might be coming back... I’m assuming that was a joke. 
    DFU mode when you need to restore a device with failed firmware on it will not happen over Wi-Fi Sync. There's no substitute for a physical connection.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Soli said:
    I love seeing a condensed logic board.
    All the way back to the Apple ][. Apple’s logic boards have been marvels of design. Compare the original (I’d even say iconic) Apple ][ logic board (this one happens to be a custom 1:1 replica) to that of its clone, the Agat.

edited August 2017 magman1979Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    pbruttopbrutto Posts: 30member
    jb510 said:
    Neither of those are valid reasons, but diagnostics and device recovery are, so the Lightning port will be staying for a long, long time. Long past the time when no one uses it for charging.
    Also, fast charging is impossible via induction, and that has been a rumored feature for the iPhone 8
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 20 of 53
    "a stage that Apple should be well past." Beautiful point. Apple SHOULD be well past this stage, and for a late September launch IS well past this stage. Too bad the rumor mangers have zero production knowledge, otherwise their rumors wouldn't be so terribly wrong.