Apple nixes plans to incorporate under-glass Touch ID in 'iPhone 8,' insider says

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    foggyhill said:
    Complete BS that Apple took this decision now... Come on.
    Kuo is making me mad with his total P.O.S. "notes"; he's shameless..

All those so called analysts right now are playing in garbage time...

Also, about  Kuo, he should STFU, he's running at 20% accuracy right now just this year considering the long list of so called predictions.
    Read the article again.

Kuo isn't claiming Apple just made the decision. It seems like such a silly exercise for so many posters to make up their own stories about what Kuo actually says just so they can use it to "prove" he was wrong later on and knee-jerk dismiss everything he says in the future. 

For a leak you may find more to your liking tho there's this:
    http://news.mydrivers.com/1/543/543300.htm
    The source should be credible.

edited August 2017
  • Reply 82 of 90
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    The source that says "Samsung iPhone 8"?
  • Reply 83 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    netmage said:
    The source that says "Samsung iPhone 8"?
    Poor sentence structure from the original Chinese to English. It's obvious how the sentence should read: Samsung OLED on the iPhone 8. 
  • Reply 84 of 90
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,330member
    There's no question in my mind that some company will arrive with an under screen ID system that works. Qualcomm is hawking theirs which it decidedly not yet ready, and others have systems that could appear soon, though of unknown comparative security to current sensors.

The important question for me will be answered after the iPhone 8 arrives, which is, "Will Apple's facial recognition system be superior to TouchID?" If that is true, then we might be seeing the end of TouchID as the primary security feature for future iOS products.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mike1 said:
    There is one big reason to forgo having an under glass fingerprint sensor:  It would make the iPhone much harder for a blind person to use. 
    This made it unacceptable.
    Please. Nobody is making a business decision based on the fraction of a percent of the population that is blind. Get real. 

Then you don't know Apple, who have recently added support for people with a cochlear implant. How many people have these in relation to the number of sight-impaired?
  • Reply 86 of 90
    Rayz2016 said:
    It's amazing to me how little imagination people have. It seems so obvious to me that they made 3D face topology scanning work plenty well enough to make touch ID obsolete. Now you'll be able to use your phone without even thinking about security and you'll get all the same security as touch ID. Apple has made changes like this A MILLION TIMES. How can everyone here not get this?
    There are huge limitations with Facial Recognition. Let me give you an example.
    I ride motocycles. The law means that I have to wear a crash helmet. In winter I wear a silk balaclava underneath that. Coupled with active tint glasses there is often no bit of my face visible.
    How would facial recog work then eh?

Now, with touch Id, I can simply stop the bike, take off one glove and touch the phone and I can use the phone. My crash helmet has BT connectivity to my phone.

Then you get people on building sites who have to wear protective gear and it is unlawful to remove them outside a building. So tinted safety spec would in many cases stop facial Id from working.

We shall have to wait and see how it works in reality but I am sure of one thing and that it Facial ID is not something that I want or need. TouchID works and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Just my thoughts on the topic which aren't worth anything so can be ignored.

Ignored? I don't think so, but that's probably because I was about to say the exact same thing. 

I approach an NFC terminal, and rather than touching a button to authorise a payment, now I have to hold up the phone, take off my glasses (or put the on – did I have them in when I took the pic?), take off my hat, maybe have a shave…

What makes you think you have to "hold up your phone", despite rumors specifically saying otherwise (that it works at angles)? 

Funny how people like to trash a thing before, you know, using a thing. Tho they did the same exact thing about Touch ID when it was rumored.
    Oh, I'd love to be convinced.  I just have a hard time believing this will be as frictionless as TouchID. TouchID only has to worry about gloves. For this to work anywhere as well, it'll have to recognise a face in all light conditions, including complete darkness, and at any angle with different hair styles, levels of facial hair, different expressions and not be fooled by an identical twin … and do all of this in a fraction of a second. 

If Apple can't do this then they shouldn't drop TouchID. If they can then not only can they drop TouchID, I would suggest that every other mobile maker pack up and go home. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 87 of 90

avon b7 said:
    foljs said:
    It's amazing to me how little imagination people have. It seems so obvious to me that they made 3D face topology scanning work plenty well enough to make touch ID obsolete. Now you'll be able to use your phone without even thinking about security and you'll get all the same security as touch ID. Apple has made changes like this A MILLION TIMES. How can everyone here not get this?
    I ride motocycles. The law means that I have to wear a crash helmet. In winter I wear a silk balaclava underneath that. Coupled with active tint glasses there is often no bit of my face visible.

Now, with touch Id, I can simply stop the bike, take off one glove and touch the phone and I can use the phone. My crash helmet has BT connectivity to my phone.

Then you get people on building sites who have to wear protective gear and it is unlawful to remove them outside a building. So tinted safety spec would in many cases stop facial Id from working.

We shall have to wait and see how it works in reality but I am sure of one thing and that it Facial ID is not something that I want or need. TouchID works and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

That seems like a perfectly ok trade-off. We go from having to touch a sensor over and over again every day with varying success rates to instantaneous authentication that requires no effort. In exchange it becomes less convenient when faces are covered. It's a clear and massive net reduction in overall friction

Reduction in friction? Is this a joke? You now need to hold your phone to your face every time you need to sign in.
    False statement -- you dont know that, and I certainly doubt it. 

It's like you people don't learn from the past -- that Apple doesnt release the half-baked nonsense you see from the knockoff vendors.
    To be fair, Apple has released some very big half-baked features over the years and in some areas is playing catch up with some of your so called knock-off vendors.
    To be fair, they didn't release a phone that was so poorly designed that it had to be banned from aircraft, so you have to give them credit for that. 
  • Reply 88 of 90
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,672member
    Rayz2016 said:

avon b7 said:
    foljs said:

That seems like a perfectly ok trade-off. We go from having to touch a sensor over and over again every day with varying success rates to instantaneous authentication that requires no effort. In exchange it becomes less convenient when faces are covered. It's a clear and massive net reduction in overall friction

Reduction in friction? Is this a joke? You now need to hold your phone to your face every time you need to sign in.
    False statement -- you dont know that, and I certainly doubt it. 

It's like you people don't learn from the past -- that Apple doesnt release the half-baked nonsense you see from the knockoff vendors.
    To be fair, Apple has released some very big half-baked features over the years and in some areas is playing catch up with some of your so called knock-off vendors.
    To be fair, they didn't release a phone that was so poorly designed that it had to be banned from aircraft, so you have to give them credit for that. 
    Sure. But that has absolutely no relation to what I said. Two, three, four or more wrongs will never make a right. Apple has released some epic half baked features over the years. To imply, or openly claim, the opposite is disingenuous.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    crosslad said:
    Certainly hope it has a Touch ID sensor somewhere. 1st choice would be under the screen, second choice on the rear, third choice on the power button like Sony phones, and last no Touch ID sensor at all. 
    Perhaps it'll have both. Too hopeful, maybe?
  • Reply 90 of 90
    foljs said:

Second, and of course for blind persons Apple can very easily provide haptic cues in Accessibility mode for where the sensor is.

That is actually a very good point. I didn't consider that.