Foxconn exec's social media post claims high rejection rate for 'iPhone 8' OLED screens

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2017
A social media posting by a known Foxconn executive claims that the supply chain for the "iPhone 8" is having difficulty with producing acceptable quantities of the OLED screen for the device, and is claiming a 40 percent defect rate because of custom cuts in the substrate that Apple is demanding for the device.

First noted by MyDrivers on Sunday, Foxconn Vice President Luo Zhongsheng took to Weibo to note that potential "iPhone 8" purchasers would have to pay a premium for the device. Part of the expense is related to low yields of the OLED screen, as cutting the OLED material for the device is apparently proving to be difficult.

Speculation exists that the cut in question is the for the "notch" expected at the top of the new phone containing the sensors for the front of the "iPhone 8." However, the post isn't clear about that, calling it only a "special cutting."

The post was deleted a few hours after it was made.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. The device is expected to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign, plus the inclusion of a 2.5D curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000, and others as much as $1,200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    If this leak is legit that is one fugly phone, especially the front. It’s so bad it has to be fake, no?

E’Tallitnics
  • Reply 2 of 38
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    Inefficient design. 
  • Reply 3 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If this leak is legit that is one fugly phone, especially the front. It’s so bad it has to be fake, no?

The photos were not included in the AI story. Not sure where you got them.  
  • Reply 5 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

You're looking at it wrong. As usual.

Can't be judged from a flat photograph — has to be held in the hand. Suspend judgment. 
    pscooter63StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 6 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The use of the word substrate causes me to think it's thinning of a layer to allow an under-display fingerprint sensor to function.  This thinning had already been mentioned, as I'm sure I read about it here on AppleInsider.  It's all just speculation on top of rumors and unconfirmed supply-chain reports, but as long as we're contemplating our navels, I'd say this is evidence of layer thinning.  After all, there are already phones with cutouts in the display shape, aren't there?  If you can cut the panels at all, even into squares, without producing issues, and if you can wrap them over an edge as in the Samsung Galaxy Edge models, without producing defects, then surely the cutout at the top, if that's the design (which would have been finalized a long time ago), wouldn't be the source of a high defect rate. 

sub·strate
    ˈsəbˌstrāt/
    noun
    1. a substance or layer that underlies something, or on which some process occurs, in particular.
      • the surface or material on or from which an organism lives, grows, or obtains its nourishment.
      • the substance on which an enzyme acts.
    edited August 2017 SpamSandwichwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 38
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Makes me want to hold off until the iPhone 8 is in ample supply. That way you can get a phone with a defective screen replaced.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    While I'm thinking about this, if it is thinning of a layer, then it's likely a process that's not well established.  As time goes by and the issues with how it's failing andbecome understood, and adjustments are made, the process will become more reliable.  The defect rate will drop and all will be well in the halls of Cupertino.  
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

A pre-failed iPhone. The Macalope has an excellent article as to why it's okay to read rumors, but don't believe them.
    pscooter63watto_cobrabaconstangStrangeDaysredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    These are Samsung-manufactured OLEDs aren't they? Can't wait for LG to ramp up to replace Samsung. Leave the Samsung rejects for Android phones.
    SnickersMagoowatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 11 of 38
    flaneur said:

You're looking at it wrong. As usual.

Can't be judged from a flat photograph — has to be held in the hand. Suspend judgment. 
    What does holding it in the hand have to do with how I think it looks? It might be the greatest feel in the hand phone ever. I still think it’s ugly. And if this was a Samsung or some Chinese OEM I suspect everyone here would say the same.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    jd_in_sb said:

The photos were not included in the AI story. Not sure where you got them.  
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/copper-gold-iphone-8-color.2060453/
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/07/iphone-8-not-cheap-case-color-copper-gold/
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 13 of 38
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member

from previous leaks, they state the front bezels will only come in black (no white iPhone being offered)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 38
    NY1822 said:

from previous leaks, they state the front bezels will only come in black (no white iPhone being offered)
    Good I hope this really is a dummy unit or some Chinese OEM’s bad imitation based on rumors. Buy the gold and rose gold phones had white fronts so...
  • Reply 15 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    NY1822 said:

Good I hope this really is a dummy unit or some Chinese OEM’s bad imitation based on rumors. Buy the gold and rose gold phones had white fronts so...
    Yeah I don't think that particular pic is legit. IMHO more likely one of the Chinese market sellers hoping to turn a few fake iPhones there. No way Apple sells any white-frame iPhone's as it makes the cutout far too obvious. 
    edited August 2017 robjn
  • Reply 16 of 38
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    NY1822 said:

http://bgr.com/2017/07/27/iphone-8-rumors-colors-white/
  • Reply 17 of 38
    The white border around the screen is incredibly ugly! That cannot be what Apple will sell....
    robjnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member

Definitely fake! Silver Apple logo gives it away.
    I also highly doubt Apple will use a white bezel. This would simply look better with an all black front, like the Apple Watches.

These images show four front facing sensors, the recent EVT screen shot photo appears to show three. The EVT screen shot also appears to show a normal size power button as opposed to the larger button in some of these parts and renders.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 19 of 38
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    40 percent screen defect rate, touch ID not working/ left out, "sense of panic in the air" at Apple HQ regarding the iPhone 8 software / hardware regardless where the news comes from, this does not sound good ---> looks like apple aimed too high with the iPhone 8
  • Reply 20 of 38
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member

NY1822 said:
    "No white iPhone"?
    I think the underlying fact is 'no white fronted iPhone".

I'd like to see one with a white back and black front and either white or polished stainless sides.