Apple TV with 4K UHD, 10-bit HDR and Dolby Vision revealed by HomePod firmware

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    mazda 3s said:
    You guys are like those people who post spoilers for the next Star Wars movie, but you put the spoilers in the headline. To help fans enjoy the movie.  :/
    Did you forget the /sarcasm tag?  :D

With that being said, besides the actual leak iPhone 4 lost/stolen prototype, this is the biggest internal leak from Apple in recent memory, correct? Wonder what must be going through Tim and the gang's head at this point? Wonder if they'll make a joke about it during the iPhone keynote like Jobs did during the iPhone 4 unveil.
    The entire script of Star Wars Episode 8 is in the HomePod firmware leak.
    SpamSandwichwilliamlondonentropysmattinoz
  • Reply 42 of 50
    jd_in_sb said:
    You guys are like those people who post spoilers for the next Star Wars movie, but you put the spoilers in the headline. To help fans enjoy the movie.  :/
    Apple Insider is a spoiler site hence the "insider" part of the name. Next you should visit Star Wars Insider and complain when they post Star Wars spoilers. 
    I thought it was a "Good news everybody: Samsung is winning" site.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Actually, this is a good leak to get the rumor mill spinning faster.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    nhughes said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Did you forget the /sarcasm tag?  :D

With that being said, besides the actual leak iPhone 4 lost/stolen prototype, this is the biggest internal leak from Apple in recent memory, correct? Wonder what must be going through Tim and the gang's head at this point? Wonder if they'll make a joke about it during the iPhone keynote like Jobs did during the iPhone 4 unveil.
    The crazy thing about the HomePod firmware is that software is the *one thing* Apple can successfully keep under wraps, because it's all done in house. Hardware is impossible to lock down, because the supply chain is massive and Apple doesn't control all of it. We usually know what a new iPhone is going to look like ahead of time thanks to supplier leaks, but we're never really sure what new software tricks it will have up its sleeve until the event day when Apple makes it public. That's what makes this leak so unprecedented.
    In future, Apple will replace the splashy keynote event with a HomePod firmware release. Saves time and money. Whatever they want to tell us will be embedded as strings of text inside the firmware, including the obligatory Apple business updates.
    mazda 3spolymnia
  • Reply 45 of 50
    I wonder if the A8 could actually handle 4K or not? They might do something like upgrade it to a higher resolution for 4K TVs so that less up sampling needs to happen. I wonder what chip they'll need to put in the Apple TV to have it hit 4K? My guess is they'll probably put in an A9 if they can get away with it. It certainly won't be an A11 unless they expect to have massive manufacturing capacity. I suspect they'll drop the price of the current Apple TV and name it like Apple TV HD or something, and then name the new one Apple TV 4K.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Why not just add a HDMI Port to the HomePod and let it be an AppleTV as well?
  • Reply 47 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mattinoz said:
    Why not just add a HDMI Port to the HomePod and let it be an AppleTV as well?
    Why do you people want to add everything to a single device? Why do I do need multiple AppleTVs in a room when I'm just trying to buy the speaker with the digital personal assistant? Since the Apple TV has a BT remote I keep everything in a closet behind my wall mounted TV so that nary a wire is showing, so I'm either going to have change that up or buy an entire HomePod just to use an AppleTV which is now around $500 device when it currently costs $150? There's absolutely no evidence that the A8 in the HomePod (or 4th gen AppleTV whicjh also contains the A8 SoC) can support 2160p60fps+HDR or HEVC decoding  for high profiles so why jump to a leap that this will happen?
  • Reply 48 of 50
    This confirms what I was expecting. Apple makes tradeoffs between newer capabilities, and being able to have hardware components in sufficient quantities and maturity for the scale of their sales. The inclusion of HLG is a great step in being broadcast-friendly for live events. It also implies that HDMI output will be at least 2.0b. (I think it's too early for HDMI 2.1 support, because the rest of the component ecosystem isn't there yet.) Apple is following the motto of "it just works". The combination of 4k plus HEVC and the three HDR formats is a solid practical set of capabilities that will be mainstream and popular with viewers. My next open question is what processor will Apple include in the new model? If they are going all-out with HEVC across product lines, they will likely go with the a10 vs a9. A11 is probably overkill, but Apple might need it for sufficient HEVC hardware acceleration or specific feature capabilities.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This confirms what I was expecting. Apple makes tradeoffs between newer capabilities, and being able to have hardware components in sufficient quantities and maturity for the scale of their sales. The inclusion of HLG is a great step in being broadcast-friendly for live events. It also implies that HDMI output will be at least 2.0b. (I think it's too early for HDMI 2.1 support, because the rest of the component ecosystem isn't there yet.) Apple is following the motto of "it just works". The combination of 4k plus HEVC and the three HDR formats is a solid practical set of capabilities that will be mainstream and popular with viewers. My next open question is what processor will Apple include in the new model? If they are going all-out with HEVC across product lines, they will likely go with the a10 vs a9. A11 is probably overkill, but Apple might need it for sufficient HEVC hardware acceleration or specific feature capabilities.
    Do you think they’ll support all HDR formats? It would be nice, but I’m only expecting one, since I expect they’ll only use one for their iTS content.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Soli said:
    Do you think they’ll support all HDR formats? It would be nice, but I’m only expecting one, since I expect they’ll only use one for their iTS content.
    Yes.  HLG is for broadcast/live TV.  HDR10 is the baseline common denominator for recorded content (UHD).  DolbyVision was positioned as the premium HDR with additional range.  Originally, this needed hardware support, but some may be able to run it in software now.  DV is getting much wider support in this year's TVs.  They each have a place in the market, which I expect will support all of them as emerging technology consensus, plus a few other variations in the future.
    Soli