Pre-orders for Sylvania Smart+ A19 Full Color Light Bulb start, more HomeKit devices comin...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sylvania has launched pre-orders for its Smart+ A19 Full Color Light Bulb, and is adding more HomeKit bulbs, and accessories in the near future.

The HomeKit-enabled Sylvania Smart+ A19 Full Color Light Bulb can be controlled individually or in groups as part of scenes. Features include turning it on and off, dimming it, adjusting it from a cool white for concentrating to a warm white, and changing it to one of millions of colors.

Control outside the home still requires an Apple TV or iPad. No bridge is required, like needed for Philips Hue and Lutron systems.

While no details were provided, the Sylvania Smart+ line will expand with A19 Soft White Light Bulb, Indoor Full Color Flex Strip, and Plug soon. The product line was announced in December 2016, and was originally expected in early 2017.

HomeKit-enabled Sylvania Smart+ lighting products will be available later this year. The A19 Full Color Light Bulb is available for pre-order for $44.99.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device with one voice command.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    So it doesn't use a hub and it's $5 cheaper than the comparable Hue product. I've already got a Hue setup so unless there more to this than meets the press release, I'm good.

It could be a good way to go for someone who hasn't yet invested in home automation lighting. I hope there's a kit that includes a remote control. Controlling the lights from just an iPhone would get old after awhile. Walking into a room without your phone, you'd want to be able to switch on a light conveniently.

It looks like they're supposed to have s switch as well. Since Hue doesn't have one and this switch will likely be HomeKit compatible also, I'd be up for a couple.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    You can still use your switches if you walk into a room without your iDevice. If the lights are off but the switch is on, turning the switch off and then back on lights up the hue bulbs. Obviously if you use the switch to turn off the bulbs, then you cannot turn them back on remotely. Presumably, having "hey siri" on the HomePod will allow voice control as long as multiple voices are allowed for "hey siri". Of course these days you can use your iPhone, watch, iPad, iTV so the list of control devices is growing.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    A Bridge is required. It's called an Apple TV or an iPad. 
  • Reply 4 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I can’t find out what the equivalent watts are for this at white settings. Anyone see it?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Nope, that's not a bridge, that's a controlling device. Words have meaning.
    edited August 2017 jensonblolliver
  • Reply 6 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

melgross said:
    I can’t find out what the equivalent watts are for this at white settings. Anyone see it?
    On the Amazon product page it says it's an 800 lumen bulb. That's the equivalent of an old 60w bulb. Pretty low, similar to the Hue color bulbs. 

I really need bulbs with twice that output to replace my non-smart Switch LED bulbs, which are 1600 lumens and the equivalent of a 100w bulb.
  • Reply 7 of 21

The Apple TV or iPad exist in this context to take IP signals and convert them Bluetooth, Zigbee, RF or whatever the native bulb protocol is. That's a bridge. 

The "no bridge" crew are being unrealistic about this.  When dealing with multiple protocols in a network the most simple and effective device is a bridge.  Without a bridge remote access and local storage become difficult.   No one really wants cloud control (like the TP-Link bulbs) where you internet goes down and your bulbs don't work correctly.  

I wish the industry would aspire to a more "can do" approach rather than shoveling product at people with the idea that they are morons. 

edited August 2017
  • Reply 8 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

melgross said:
    On the Amazon product page it says it's an 800 lumen bulb. That's the equivalent of an old 60w bulb. Pretty low, similar to the Hue color bulbs. 

I really need bulbs with twice that output to replace my non-smart Switch LED bulbs, which are 1600 lumens and the equivalent of a 100w bulb.
    That’s odd. I clicked on the pre order link from the article and went to the Amazon order page where all of the info is normally, and it wasn’t there.

800 isn’t bad, but a really want 1,100 or 1,200. I use a lot of LEDs in the house and this wouldn’t be enough. A big problem with multicolor bulbs is that since they are RGB, moving the color towards one of the colors dims the bulb a lot. So this would be just 267 lumens if it was set to just one RGB color, and that’s not much.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 21
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    macgui said:

It looks like they're supposed to have s switch as well. Since Hue doesn't have one and this switch will likely be HomeKit compatible also, I'd be up for a couple.
    Hue has a remote that works like a switch, and you can stick it on a wall.
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

The Apple TV or iPad exist in this context to take IP signals and convert them Bluetooth, Zigbee, RF or whatever the native bulb protocol is. That's a bridge. 

The "no bridge" crew are being unrealistic about this.  When dealing with multiple protocols in a network the most simple and effective device is a bridge.  Without a bridge remote access and local storage become difficult.   No one really wants cloud control (like the TP-Link bulbs) where you internet goes down and your bulbs don't work correctly.  

I wish the industry would aspire to a more "can do" approach rather than shoveling product at people with the idea that they are morons. 

As a point of fact, you don't need an Apple TV or iPad if you don't want to control HomeKit devices outside of the house. I'd rather have a HomeKit-native device than one that needs a ZigBee or whatnot bridge OTHER than the aforementioned Apple TV or iPad.
    jensonblolliver
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member

That’s quite a lot of hairs you’re splitting. The iPad & Apple TV are only required for control outside the home. If you are only interested in controlling the lights while you are home, neither is necessary and a single iPhone will suffice. In contrast, the Hue line requires a Hub plugged into the network at all times, regardless of whether you are home or not. That means the hub is required (and for out of home control using HomeKit, an iPad or Apple TV is still required in addition). You have to recognise how those scenarios are different.

Now, as for the product in question, I don’t need the colour change bulb but I like the sound of the soft white version. I currently use the Hue system for my lights but I’d really like to get the Hue hub out of the setup. Its stubborn insistence on being wired means I have to use up a port on my wireless bridge which could be taken by something with higher bandwidth requirements - I’m having to daisy-chain a switch onto the wireless bridge to accommodate all the wired devices.

I had been looking at jumping to Ikea Trådfri, but their promised HomeKit support is still nowhere to be seen. If Sylvania can get their soft white bulbs out before Ikea get HomeKit integrated, I will probably go with their bulbs.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    There's rarely a situation where the person buying doesn't care about remote access.   The common scenario 
    is traveling and either putting the lights on a schedule or direct control. 

I think the issue here is that competitors of Hue and Lifx have an uphill climb.  Bridge free designs don't come up much 
    other than company marketing.  The bigger desire is Echo/Google Home/HomeKit support for voice assistants.  

The Bridge issue is a tempest in a teacup.    Today you can buy Google Wifi/Linksys Velop and other routers with Zigbee built in. 
    Samsung has their mesh system with Smarthings built in.   The Eero 2nd generation has Thread built in.   These bridges are going to 
    be integrated into future routers making it a non-issue. 

@jensonb Tradfri is a good option.  They'll get there with HomeKit.  Also keep your eyes on Sengled their classic line is downright inexpensive 

A19 Bulb - $9.99  
    BR30 Bulb - $14.99  

If Sengled adds HomeKit I may check'em out. 

• Reply 13 of 21

All I need to do is install the bulb and I can control it with my iPhone without needing anything else?

Sounds like the perfect thing to start off HomeKit with.

jensonblolliver
  • Reply 14 of 21
    so, without a bridge, how do routines or schedules work? Primarily my Hue setup is based on timers, motion/light sensors, IFTTT rules, and a few hue dimmer switches. It's only when I diverge from the routines that I use my phone to control (if my kid wants a different colour in his bedroom at night for example).

If it's connected directly to an iPhone and that iPhone is out of battery or not in range, the bulbs are essentially dumb bulbs again?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    adm1 said:
    so, without a bridge, how do routines or schedules work? Primarily my Hue setup is based on timers, motion/light sensors, IFTTT rules, and a few hue dimmer switches. It's only when I diverge from the routines that I use my phone to control (if my kid wants a different colour in his bedroom at night for example).

If it's connected directly to an iPhone and that iPhone is out of battery or not in range, the bulbs are essentially dumb bulbs again?
    Stand by. Feature incoming.
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 21
    adm1 said:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/newsroom/press-releases/Pages/SYLVANIA-Smart-Home-Introduces-Apple-HomeKit-enabled-Hub-Free-Bulb-.aspx

For those times when you are away from home, Apple has also made it possible to control HomeKit-enabled products like the SYLVANIA Smart Multicolor A19 bulb using an Apple TV or iPad running iOS 10 as a home hub.  This allows consumers flexibility when deciding how to control their HomeKit-enabled products.  You can also set lighting scenes and combine activities with other HomeKit-enabled devices to create custom experiences through the Home app. 

Sounds like an iPad or ATV is going to be necessary
  • Reply 17 of 21
    igorsky said:
    macgui said:

Hue has a remote that works like a switch, and you can stick it on a wall.
    Hue has a remote that works like a switch, but it's not a switch, it's a dimmer. I have it stuck on my 'fridge. It uses either its magnets or adhesive strips.

I meant plug, my bad. Sylvania will have a wall plug that will let you plug something into it to be switched On/Off with an iDevice. It's unknown if it will work with inductive devices or just resistive devices. Hue will probably never have an equivalent since it would potentially cut into their bulb sales. 
  • Reply 18 of 21
    You can still use your switches if you walk into a room without your iDevice. I
    Of course you can. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a remote switch so that you're not dependent having your phone or iPad handy to turn off the light.  

If you walk out of the room and forget to turn off the light, the local switch does you no good unless you don't mind no longer having remote access to it. That sort of defeats the purpose. 

So you turn on the light remotely, but when you get there, you have no way to turn it off until you get back to your phone. My Hue uses a software/hardware dimmer so that the regular wall switch can stay On and the Hue dimmer can turn it Off without having to use a phone, pad, or watch. 'Hey, Siri' gets old after awhile.

brianloftus said:
     Presumably, having "hey siri" on the HomePod will allow voice control as long as multiple voices are allowed for "hey siri". Of course these days you can use your iPhone, watch, iPad, iTV so the list of control devices is growing.
    The HomePod is a pricey way to control lights compared to a remote 'switch'. I'm looking forward to see how it performs but I don't think it's going to be a big seller. And using the iDevices is sort of the whole point of HomeKit in the first place. It's early days for the Sylvania bulb so it may well have a dimmer available as does Hue. And if they don't, they should consider it.
  • Reply 19 of 21

It's pretty obvious that the 'bridge' their referring to is the little brick that's included in some starter kits such as the Hue kits, and others, and is also available separately (and required) if you're going to buy all separate bits instead of a kit.
  • Reply 20 of 21

Mike Wuerthele said:
    As a point of fact, you don't need an Apple TV or iPad if you don't want to control HomeKit devices outside of the house. I'd rather have a HomeKit-native device than one that needs a ZigBee or whatnot bridge OTHER than the aforementioned Apple TV or iPad.
    So how is dimming controlled? I can do this with my Hue kit via the Hue or HomeKit app on my iDevices or the remote dimmer.

I ask because I see no mention on the Amazon page of anything but the bulb. Without an additional control, you need something to host the app (there is an app, right?).