Apple said to be targeting March quarter 2018 launch for second-gen iPhone SE

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple assembly partner Wistron is allegedly preparing to expand its production in India, setting the stage for a second-generation iPhone SE shipping in the first quarter of 2018.

Wistron's plant in Bengaluru will be adding a new iPhone SE production line, CNA said on Friday, citing Indian sources. The company is reportedly talking to the Karnataka state government about extra land, and aiming to double or triple production capacity in the next five years.

Wistron is expected to ship a new SE to the Indian market first, which could imply that another Apple partner like Foxconn or Pegatron will handle other markets.

CNA's proposed timeframe for a new phone is more plausible than one recent rumor, which claimed that a simultaneous upgrade and price drop could happen as soon as this month. The first-generation SE was released in March 2016, and given a storage tweak a year later.

Apple may need an upgrade to keep the phone relevant, given this fall's "iPhone 8", "7s," and "7s Plus." An Indian site, Tekz24, recently claimed that the new SE will have the iPhone 7's A10 processor and 12-megapixel rear camera, along with 2 gigabytes of RAM and a 5-megapixel front camera. Its display may slot between 4 and 4.2 inches -- anything bigger than 4 would be a change. Tekz24's reputation isn't established however, and a separate rumor has hinted that Apple could axe the SE line.

Wistron has been assembling first-generation SE models in India since May, and put them on sale in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I have the model pictured and love it. :)
    doozydozenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I really hope they don't stick us with the A10. I'd gladly pay an extra 100 for an A11 version, and I suspect that they won't be having CPU production issues so bad as to make that impossible. Having a super powerful 4 inch phone is important!
    baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I really hope they don't stick us with the A10. I'd gladly pay an extra 100 for an A11 version, and I suspect that they won't be having CPU production issues so bad as to make that impossible. Having a super powerful 4 inch phone is important!

The purpose of the SE is to give current CPU in the 4" form factor.   The leak has to be taken with a grain of salt.   That said, the question is whether or not the A11 introduces any major capabilities other than speed, as the key issue is maintaining iOS compatibility for as many future releases as possible.   
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I like this approach, timing release of a mid-tier phone in Spring. Between that and the expanded iPhone lines (presuming 7s, 7s Plus, Pro this Fall), Apple is keeping things fresh, sales steady. 
    baconstangdoozydozencornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Definitely getting se if it comes out.
    cornchipwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Going forward only way iphone SE will be relevant is by mimicking iPhone 8 edge to edge, top down screen coverage(no home button) to give larger screen area in SE frame. It's ok to have internal one generation behind to keep price down.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    wood1208 said:
    Going forward only way iphone SE will be relevant is by mimicking iPhone 8 edge to edge, top down screen coverage(no home button) to give larger screen area in SE frame. It's ok to have internal one generation behind to keep price down.
    i would  fully disagree.

the current body of the SE is what attracted it to me. my 5s was a beast that got dropped, mis-treated & put up with it all.
    my SE that i replaced it with is identical.

it does everything i need it to do in a rugged body. if they keep updating it with current internals, i am very happy.
    baconstangdoozydozencecil444lolliverwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 18
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member
    Still using my still good-looking, old heavily used iPhone-5, getting sluggish and the battery is worn-out. As soon as Apple confirms it will axe the SE, I'll buy one immediately. The form-factor is perfect to me and I won't buy a larger one even when a larger one would be a lot cheaper. I just hope Apple will release the SE2. I don't care about A10 or A11. I guess A10 will suffice for quite some time.
    cecil444onix
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Same overall size, up-to-date internals are my priorities; just like the current model was at launch, in fact. A bigger display achieved by shrinking bezels would be a great bonus.

I love my SE and it fits into all my pockets  :)
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Whether A10 or A11, the SE is a great way to continue to amortize the outgoing processors.  That and the iPod Touch.  Apple has been masterful at sharing components across their iOS line over the years.  
  • Reply 11 of 18
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member

The purpose of the SE is to give current CPU in the 4" form factor.   The leak has to be taken with a grain of salt.   That said, the question is whether or not the A11 introduces any major capabilities other than speed, as the key issue is maintaining iOS compatibility for as many future releases as possible.   

Whether A10 or A11, the SE is a great way to continue to amortize the outgoing processors.  That and the iPod Touch.  Apple has been masterful at sharing components across their iOS line over the years.  

Apple used the 6S's A9 processor when the SE was first released, only 6 months old at the time.  So it'd be nice to see Apple put the A11 in this new rumored SE next spring.  I'd certainly buy one to replace my gracefully aging 5S.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    command_f said:
    Same overall size, up-to-date internals are my priorities; just like the current model was at launch, in fact. A bigger display achieved by shrinking bezels would be a great bonus.

I love my SE and it fits into all my pockets  :)

I tend to agree because I also have a SE (along with a work 5S).   Its nice having a second phone a times and this way it doesn't take up much room in the pockets.

I hope the SE keeps the current design, I like it better than the 6/6+/7 design.    I think that people use and keep using iPhones because of iOS first, the build quality second, and then finally the look (design) of the case.    The more phone models Apple has the more they sell.

I probably won't buy an iPhone without TouchId but I do believe Apple with sell many of the upcoming iPhone Pro phones at nose-bleed prices.

I think that Apple should introduce an "iPhone XL" with the same width and height ( 67.1 mm x 138.3 mm) of the iPhone 7 but the thickness of the iPhone SE(7.6 mm or thicker) so that it would have a larger battery and maybe dual SIM support.   Ideally it would be released in the Spring of odd years alternating with the SE.

Lastly I would also like for Apple to release an Apple Camera build with either  dual 1in sensors or APS-C size sensors running Camera OS.   As some point 4 or 5 years from now Apple will be able to make a fully connected phone in the apple watch (iWatch).   Such a Camera could easily start at $1500 - $2,000    You could wear your cell-phone watch($600 and up) only or carry watch + Camera if you need a screen or camera.   Many people would probably just carry the watch because they would have access to their Apple TV at home, Laptop at work, and a big display in their APPLE CAR or through the cars of other manufacturers using Carplay from their watch, occasionally they could carry the iCamera or iWatch.   If they thought the

Hopefully by the time the iCamera comes out SIRI will be working much better.

• Reply 13 of 18
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    And while they're at it...keep the 3.5mm RTS jack.
    I need it for work.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    And while they're at it...keep the 3.5mm RTS jack.
    I need it for work.
    I'm sure they'll include it in the box just like they do with the iPhone 7.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I was kind of hoping for better than SE update in the 4inch size. If it was just about price just turn the 6 into and SE and drop price.

If they do a new 4 it should be priced back up in premium range and really make the best they can.
    iPhone Orginal price of $599 would be good target if not higher. The screen could be a tad bigger if it's going to have the same feature set as the rumoured edition phone.
    Doesn't need to be any thinner than 5 design would be great if they could get dual lens camera into a device this size.  A bit shorter as allowed by the full face screen would be good.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I wonder which old but new features will be in the 2nd gen SE. I'm hoping for dual domain pixels, HD Retina at least. Wide color ... eh. Do we need it? Not sure. Now, the interesting thing is if we will get the taptic engine. Thoughts? It seems very possible that Apple would want more harmomy in that area compared to the bigger brothers. Honestly, I have used it and am not too sure that it is so essential, and it is Not spot-on. It is fun to use, though, because it feels like i'm feeling a heartbeat in my hands. Lol. Maybe Apple music could incorporate it into some content, so I can really feel songs like Taylor Swift's "Wildest Dreams." Ha ha. 

So, I guess I'll look forward to a solid state home button. Also, I'd love a Jet Black color. I'd be so cool to have a phone that went through an iron particle bath lol! 

What else will it have? Oh, I PRAY that it is not any thinner. Likely it will be, but I hope not. 

Did I miss anything? 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    onixonix Posts: 2member
    oldenboom said:
    Still using my still good-looking, old heavily used iPhone-5, getting sluggish and the battery is worn-out. As soon as Apple confirms it will axe the SE, I'll buy one immediately. The form-factor is perfect to me and I won't buy a larger one even when a larger one would be a lot cheaper. I just hope Apple will release the SE2. I don't care about A10 or A11. I guess A10 will suffice for quite some time.
    I was forced to upgrade from my iPhone 5 to an SE since T-Mobile is deprecating some of its old frequency bands standards and replacing them with LTE.  This is especially a problem with their 700MHz LTE.  I live in the middle of a large city and my LTE service started getting flaky.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Available with more memory would be necessary for me to buy one. I love my SE and except for wanting at least 128G, I'm perfectly happy with it.