Apple issues fourth public betas of iOS 11, tvOS 11, & macOS High Sierra

Posted:
in iPhone
Hot on the heels of a fifth developer release, Apple on Tuesday issued a fourth public beta of iOS 11, available to anyone with a compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Also out are fourth public betas of tvOS 11 for the Apple TV, and macOS High Sierra.

The iOS 11 update should be an over-the-air download for users of the third public beta, or available fresh by enrolling in Apple's Beta Software Program. As with the fifth developer seed, the "Messages in iCloud" feature -- which syncs conversations between devices -- should be missing, though Apple has promised to restore it in a later update.

The latest tvOS 11 and High Sierra betas contain just minor changes, suggesting that Apple is largely concentrating on bugfixes at this stage. To download the tvOS update, Apple TV owners must not only be in the Beta Software Program, but go into the tvOS Settings app and toggle "Get Public Beta Updates" under the System menu's Software Updates section.

Apple is due to release the finished versions of iOS 11 and tvOS 11 sometime this fall, but most likely in September ahead of the "iPhone 8" and a fifth-generation Apple TV. High Sierra could arrive in September or October, going by past macOS launches.

iOS 11 includes features like a Files app, augmented reality support, a new Control Center, and a radically redesigned iPad interface. tvOS 11 makes less dramatic changes, but includes things like notification support, automatic light/dark mode switching, and homescreen sync for houses with multiple Apple TVs. macOS High Sierra incorporates the Apple File System and new graphics technologies, among other improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    Problems Solved! Thanks apple for posting update today.
    issues resolved: Parallels enabled, apple email search enabled, spotlight search - searches apps, email, etc.. 
  • Reply 2 of 14
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    zomp said:
    Problems Solved! Thanks apple for posting update today.
    issues resolved: Parallels enabled, apple email search enabled, spotlight search - searches apps, email, etc.. 
    And overall much snappier  ;)
    (it really is)
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rs0212rs0212 Posts: 25member
    Anyone know if DirecTV Now is working with this new tvOS beta? I haven't installed any of the tvOS 11 betas yet because I read that it didn't work. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Looks like it's back to usable again. I gambled on the first quirks being nixed during the summer holiday, so I installed on my regular MBP 15" TB. Paid off methinks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Notes app seem really sluggish/semi unusable if you have a really long note. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    No more VCR sound from the CD/DVD on wake (2012 MBP13)!
    Cookies list populates in seconds, not minutes!
    Photos performance back from ugh to great!
    Need to see if I can reformat an HD volume to APFS...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    noicc1138 said:
    Have you reported it?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    noicc1138 said:
    Not for me its working fine!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    rs0212 said:
    Anyone know if DirecTV Now is working with this new tvOS beta? I haven't installed any of the tvOS 11 betas yet because I read that it didn't work. 
    I believe it is working now. Haven’t tried on my Apple TV but they fixed it to work on iPhone and iPad with iOS 11 with the previous update before the one this week. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm loving the changes in all the new OS X-based OSes. I can't wait for HEVC to start working in macOS, but I think we''ll have to wait for the next Apple event and an iTunes update before that happens.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    No joy for APFS on a hard drive...

• Reply 12 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jpellino said:

Should be fine, I've got it going on one of my test machines. When is it failing out?

Should probably report it, if you're having problems.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jpellino said:
    What do you mean? I have AFPS on a 2xTB (8TB) RAID-0 setup and it's great. During the earlier betas I had issues with my Mac mini still with an HDD (because swapping it out with an old 2.5" 80GB SSD I have is an undertaking) that wouldn't boot after converting to APFS, but the external, USB 3.0 connected RAID is working fine. I expect to try the APFS conversation again shortly for the boot drive.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jpellino said:

Should be fine, I've got it going on one of my test machines. When is it failing out?

Should probably report it, if you're having problems.
    Still dimmed in Disk Utility in recovery mode.  Last I heard it was disabled for HDD-only and would be re-enabled closer to GM time.