'iPhone 8' to enter mass production in mid-Sept., launch alongside 'iPhone 7s,' come in 3 ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Rumors about an "iPhone 8" delay may have been unfounded, as analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated on Tuesday that the flagship handset will launch on the same day as the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" -- albeit in limited quantities and styles.

Ming-Chi Kuo's supply chain rumblings were shared in a research note obtained by AppleInsider. The KGI analyst, who has a strong track record in predicting Apple's future product plans, indicated that the handset will come in just three colors: black, silver and gold.

Kuo said that all three new iPhones will be announced simultaneously in September, and will share the same launch date. However, he indicated that the so-called "iPhone 8" will be in extremely short supply at launch, with the supply chain expected to produce between 2 million and 4 million units this quarter.

According to Kuo, all of this fall's new iPhone models will support fast charging. However, consumers may have to opt to spend extra on a Lighting-to-USB-C cable and wall adapter to utilize it -- the same approach Apple already takes with the iPad Pro.

He expects production of the "iPhone 8," which some have taken to calling an "iPhone Pro," will ramp up quickly, reaching between 45 million and 50 million units this year.

In contrast, he expects Apple will produce between 35 million and 38 million 4.7-inch "iPhone 7s" units, and another 18 million to 20 million 5.5-inch "iPhone 7s Plus" handsets.

"iPhone 8" mockup by casemaker Nodus, via Forbes.

The analyst revealed that both the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" are already in mass production. Interestingly, he suggested the "7s" models will also come in the same three colors. It is not clear why Apple would scale back on color options with the same design and materials.

Meanwhile, the "iPhone 8" is expected to enter the product verification test phase in late August, before mass production begins in mid-September.

The reports would suggest that Apple was able to alleviate any supply chain concerns it faced prior. Previously, reports suggested the handset might not launch until October or November, later than the usual September launch timeframe.

The "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" are expected to look largely like their predecessors, and feature the same LCD display technology Apple has used for years.

The "iPhone 8," meanwhile, is expected to have an edge-to-edge OLED display with an even higher resolution than the iPhone 7 Plus. Details from Apple's own HomePod firmware seem to indicate it will have a 5.15-inch display area with a resolution of 2,436 by 1,125 pixels.

Along with an entirely new design, the "iPhone 8" is expected to feature advanced facial recognition technology that could replace Touch ID entirely. Accordingly, the device is not expected to have a physical home button, instead opting for a virtual one on the display.

Given the rumored advanced technology and limited availability, reports have suggested Apple could charge a starting price of more than $1,000 for its new high-end handset. More budget-minded consumers could still opt for new features like a faster processor and inductive wireless charging on the "iPhone 7s" series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Of course the iPhone 8 would launch at the same time. Any rumor that the iPhone 8 would launch in October or November while iphone 7S would launch in September was laughable on its face.

A late iphone  8  would virutally guarantee the iphone 7S sales would be non-existent or anemic while customers wait for the iphone 8 announcement to see which iphone would be a better value. 

firelock
  • Reply 2 of 65
    I had an iPhone 6+ and was going to hold out for the iPhone 8. But I decided to go for a 7+ I think I made the correct decision. It looks to me like the iPhone "9+" or the 8S+ is what to hold out for now.  The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...🤔
    doozydozenjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 65
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    larryjw said:
    Of course the iPhone 8 would launch at the same time. Any rumor that the iPhone 8 would launch in October or November while iphone 7S would launch in September was laughable on its face.

A late iphone  8  would virutally guarantee the iphone 7S sales would be non-existent or anemic while customers wait for the iphone 8 announcement to see which iphone would be a better value. 
    Why? Having an iPhone 7S series and iPhone 8 series the year after an iPhone 7 is already atypical for Apple, but what isn't atypical is having Apple release products so innovative that production is difficult and their release dates are well behind other products post announcement. The Mac Pro and AirPods are recent examples that come readily to mind.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Black, gold and silver. Good to see Apple branching out in the color department. 
    yojimbo007brucemc
  • Reply 5 of 65
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I’ve been wondering how they would handle colors. Gold and rose gold look nice on a flat aluminum finish, but perhaps less so on a glossy glass. At least that’s been my experience having seen other maker attempts at this. We’ll see what they do, but I’m hopeful for a nice gloss black or gloss white - with black front borders to cover camera and IR sensors. 
    doozydozenpatchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 65
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    "The reports would suggest that Apple was able to alleviate any supply chain concerns it faced prior."

Launching the iPhone 8 with only 2 to 4 million units can  only mean that there are still supply chain concerns and major issues. Do you really think Apple prefers to sell 4 million units instead of 20 million units upon launch?
  • Reply 7 of 65
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    So, Kuo's been wrong  at least once on almost everything on iPhone 8 so far why should this be believed now.  He gets his accuracy for continually updated until launch and then, guess what, his last prediction, is almost right :)
    longpathirelandpscooter63bb-15
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Black, gold and silver. Good to see Apple branching out in the color department. 

Think of the bright side. The processor only comes in one variation: Ass Kicking.
    king editor the grateStrangeDaysRayz20162old4funGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 65
    The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...🤔
    Yes, I too believe there is very little reason to call the 10th anniversary model "iPhone 8." What I am wondering is why tech journalist are so inclined to call it "iPhone 8" when there is little reason to do so... 
    I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 65
    So what happened to all the analysts and pundits lies, and BS about the iPhone being 'delayed' until October or November? These freaking analysts making up such lies ought to be pushed off a pier with weights tied to their ankles. I honestly hate such bold liars who try to deceive mom and pop investors in order to make them lose money.
    longpathStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 65
    If the back is glass too, than there's a chance we'll finally get a gold iPhone w/out a white front, for example. The monochromatic jet black iPhone 7 is such a slick look. A solid gold brick iPhone...mmm yum  :p
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 65
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I think it's time they have a media event already. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 65
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...🤔
    Yes, I too believe there is very little reason to call the 10th anniversary model "iPhone 8." What I am wondering is why tech journalist are so inclined to call it "iPhone 8" when there is little reason to do so... 
    I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.  
    We've looked into it, and the number of people searching for "iPhone 8" vastly, vastly outnumbers the alternatives ("iPhone X," "iPhone Pro"). Until Apple gives the product an official name, or until some marketing materials leak with the name, we'll be sticking with iPhone 8.
    king editor the grate2old4funfastasleepdoozydozenbb-15
  • Reply 14 of 65
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    From what I've heard, the 7s and 7s Plus will feature glass backs too...to aid with wireless charging. If that's the case then these iPhones like the 8 will feature a glass/stainless steel sandwich design similar in principle to the classic iPhone 4 series. Which maybe the reason why Apple are going to offering only the same 3 colors as they are with the 8...unless of course that iPhone 7s glass back rumor is bogus too?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ming continues to change his story.
    StrangeDaysaylk
  • Reply 16 of 65
    It must be true... God hath spoken
    "Apple, make it so..."
    and on the 8th day of August, God rested.

Ok, so I'm poking a bit of fun but everyone seems to get all hot under the collar when he speaks.
    IF this does not come to pass then can this and all the other sites who repeat his parables just stop?
  • Reply 17 of 65
    If there's no jet black I ain't buying.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 65
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    It must be true... God hath spoken
    "Apple, make it so..."
    and on the 8th day of August, God rested.

Ok, so I'm poking a bit of fun but everyone seems to get all hot under the collar when he speaks.
    IF this does not come to pass then can this and all the other sites who repeat his parables just stop?
    IT will come to pass since he's changing his garbage daily until it matches; he's a bullshit generator swaying the market and probably playing it through an intermediary. .
    Even amongst analysts, he's pond scum.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 19 of 65
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    sog35 said:
    Just got word from my contact in China:

iPhone Pricing:

iPhone 7s - $599  
    iPhone 7s Plus - $699

iPhone X - $899

If that is true, then this pricing is envisaged to boost 7s Plus sales, meaning that Apple doesn't expect much from the new model.

Would I pay $200 more for a display less than or equal to 7s Plus, absolutely not.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I had an iPhone 6+ and was going to hold out for the iPhone 8. But I decided to go for a 7+ I think I made the correct decision. It looks to me like the iPhone "9+" or the 8S+ is what to hold out for now.  
    What on earth has suggested that the *next* phones will be the ones to get? It doesn't work that way. Every iteration is a great phone, and it depends on when *you* need one.
    pscooter63