'iPhone 8' to enter mass production in mid-Sept., launch alongside 'iPhone 7s,' come in 3 ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

Black, gold and silver. Good to see Apple branching out in the color department. 
    Good to see people able to make a mental difference between rumors and press releases. But nope, any way for you to cherry pick and criticize Apple is what's key here!
    edited August 2017 gregg thurmanRayz2016brucemcpscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 65
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I hope whats called the 7s will have some design change.. otherwise its going to be 4 years with identical design... too boring and monotonous..
    cone on Apple, hope u throw a little flare in there too.  And colors.. 

That Said... dont you all find it curios that KUO has so much access to unannounced info... and Apple with resourses surpassing some countries cant shut him down or block his sources...?
    unless its all by design... 
    Just imagine how many people will be there trying to get their order in right off the bat if they believe only 4-5 million of iphone X will initially be available. 
  • Reply 23 of 65

wigby said:
    "The reports would suggest that Apple was able to alleviate any supply chain concerns it faced prior."

Launching the iPhone 8 with only 2 to 4 million units can  only mean that there are still supply chain concerns and major issues. Do you really think Apple prefers to sell 4 million units instead of 20 million units upon launch?
    You're ignoring the existing multi-millions they have to rollout at launch for the 7s series. As as been written about all over the web, Apple's biggest challenge with new models with new hardware features is scalability. iPhone is so incredibly, mind-numbingly huge now, it's impossible to roll out new top-tier components in the sheer masses needed. Thus the higher shelf model. 

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/07/17/iphone-2017-snell
  • Reply 24 of 65
    nhughes said:
    The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...ߤ䦬t;br>
    Yes, I too believe there is very little reason to call the 10th anniversary model "iPhone 8." What I am wondering is why tech journalist are so inclined to call it "iPhone 8" when there is little reason to do so... 
    I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.  
    We've looked into it, and the number of people searching for "iPhone 8" vastly, vastly outnumbers the alternatives ("iPhone X," "iPhone Pro"). Until Apple gives the product an official name, or until some marketing materials leak with the name, we'll be sticking with iPhone 8.
    Ah so search-engine clicks (ad money) is more important than journalistic integrity. 

There we have it, folks. This is why the tech media will also be a sub-niche relating to but not being journalism. Different ideals. 
    edited August 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 65

If there's no jet black I ain't buying.
    Yes you will.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 65

sog35 said:
    Just got word from my contact in China:

iPhone Pricing:

iPhone 7s - $599  
    iPhone 7s Plus - $699

iPhone X - $899

If that is true, then this pricing is envisaged to boost 7s Plus sales, meaning that Apple doesn't expect much from the new model.

Would I pay $200 more for a display less than or equal to 7s Plus, absolutely not.
    Sure, if it has other features besides screen size that make it valuable.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 65
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Assuming Apple wants/needs at least half of its market to consist of the latest phone they need to be making 2 million or more per week.  If they only have two million total at launch that either means they are having significant yield issues or they really are pulling a "Ferrari" and introducing artificial supply constraints to prop up the highest price possible for a boutique phone.

I realize supply has been limited at each previous launch, but nothing like this rumor has it.  I just don't see a significant percentage of consumers settling for the 7S.  More likely they'll wait for the 8S next year unless their current phone is having trouble and they absolutely need one now.  Even then I suspect some of them will just get the cheaper 7 to tide them over.  We could be looking at the first year-over-year decline in iPhone sales.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    I hope whats called the 7s will have some design change.. otherwise its going to be 4 years with identical design... too boring and monotonous..

Your opinion is at odds with the phone-buying public -- who have made the 7 the most popular iPhone yet. This despite the tech media and web complainers. No one cares about artificial criticisms like it using a familiar design. That's as silly to normal people as me complaining that the new Pioneer receivers look just like my 6-year-old receiver. Uh yeah, it's a home receiver -- black boxy thing that does a job...what is it supposed to look like, a triangle!? Same nonsense about the phone's visual design. 
    gregg thurmandoozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 65
    78Bandit said:
    Assuming Apple wants/needs at least half of its market to consist of the latest phone they need to be making 2 million or more per week.  If they only have two million total at launch that either means they are having significant yield issues or they really are pulling a "Ferrari" and introducing artificial supply constraints to prop up the highest price possible for a boutique phone.

I realize supply has been limited at each previous launch, but nothing like this rumor has it.  I just don't see a significant percentage of consumers settling for the 7S.  More likely they'll wait for the 8S next year unless their current phone is having trouble and they absolutely need one now.  Even then I suspect some of them will just get the cheaper 7 to tide them over.  We could be looking at the first year-over-year decline in iPhone sales.
    Your assumptions are suspect. I doubt the top-tier iphone is expected to take over half of the iPhone customer base.

And again with the silly nonsense about "artificial supply constraints!" Apple doesn't make money by *not* selling iPhones. They make money by selling actual phones to actual people. But this takes time, and at the immense scale of the iPhone it's their biggest challenge to produce them.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing
    edited August 2017 gregg thurman
  • Reply 30 of 65
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    nhughes said:
    The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...ߤ䦬t;br>
    Yes, I too believe there is very little reason to call the 10th anniversary model "iPhone 8." What I am wondering is why tech journalist are so inclined to call it "iPhone 8" when there is little reason to do so... 
    I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.  
    We've looked into it, and the number of people searching for "iPhone 8" vastly, vastly outnumbers the alternatives ("iPhone X," "iPhone Pro"). Until Apple gives the product an official name, or until some marketing materials leak with the name, we'll be sticking with iPhone 8.
    Ah so search-engine clicks (ad money) is more important than journalistic integrity. 

There we have it, folks. This is why the tech media will also be a sub-niche relating to but not being journalism. Different ideals. 
    Please, explain to me how using the most commonly accepted fake name for an unannounced product compromises my journalistic integrity.

I'm happy to have the discussion about iPhone 8 vs. iPhone Pro, but drawing my reputation into the mix is uncalled for. You've officially been warned.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    nhughes said:

As a point of fact, the WSJ, Bloomberg, Fox News, Reuters, Washington Post, Washington Times and nearly everybody else call Apple's rumored OLED iPhone the "iPhone 8."
    edited August 2017 2old4fundoozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 65
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    So what happened to all the analysts and pundits lies, and BS about the iPhone being 'delayed' until October or November? These freaking analysts making up such lies ought to be pushed off a pier with weights tied to their ankles. I honestly hate such bold liars who try to deceive mom and pop investors in order to make them lose money.
    How do you know the delay stories were BS? This story could be wrong. 
  • Reply 33 of 65
    physguy said:
    So, Kuo's been wrong  at least once on almost everything on iPhone 8 so far why should this be believed now.  He gets his accuracy for continually updated until launch and then, guess what, his last prediction, is almost right :)
    From the report: "Rumors about an "iPhone 8" delay may have been unfounded, as analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated on Tuesday"

Wasn't Kuo the one that started to whole "delayed" launch rumor?  Uh, yes he was.

Limited units in the September quarter?  Uh, that makes sense because there is no benefit to pumping September numbers beyond just enough of the new model to show QoQ unit growth.  It's been that way every year since FY2007 (ex FY2011).

It is my belief, and has been so stated for about 4 months, that the 2017 OLED iPhone will be called the iPhone "SJ Edition" or "Steve Jobs Edition", or ..., so as not to confuse this anomaly handset with the customary naming convention.  In 2018 Apple will introduce the iPhone 10 and iPhone 10 Plus, with the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus dropping down the pricing tier as before.  The iPhone "SJ Edition/Steve Jobs Edition" will ONLY be offered during FY2018.
  • Reply 34 of 65

How sure is it that this will be a 5.1" screen? The width of 1125 pixels is exactly 1.5 times the width of the iPhone 7 (750 pixels). This could simply mean that this is a 3x retina display instead of the 2x retina used in current 4.7" models. (The 5.5" model already has a 3x retina resolution, but this is a scaled up logical resolution.)

If the 1125 x 2436 is indeed a 3x retina screen it will probably have (163 points x scale 3) 489 ppi. With this ppi and the given resolution, the screen size will 5.49". Like a 5.5" screen in a 4.7" device housing.

By going from a 2x to a 3x retina, it has the same screen width as the 4.7" models. (Making the screen wider will increase the screen size even more above the 5.49".) But a 5.15" screen size will be smaller in the width. (Because the screen has a different aspect ratio.)

An iPhone 7 with a 3x retina screen would have 1125 x 2001 pixels. So the "iPhone 8" has 435 pixels (or 145 logical points) extra in height. (The screen also has an aspect ratio of 2.17 instead of the 16:9 of the 4.7" devices.) So, Apple has a bar of 435 pixels to play with.

And... if they upgrade the 5.5" model next year to a real 3x retina, and add the extra bar height of 435 pixels to it, it will have a resolution of 2643 x 1242. And with the same width (using the logical 462 ppi of the current 5/5" models) its size will be 6.32". Shrinking it back to 489 ppi will stil result in a screen size of 5.97".

edited August 2017
  • Reply 35 of 65
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

sog35 said:

iPhone Pricing:

iPhone 7s - $599  
    iPhone 7s Plus - $699

iPhone X - $899

If that is true, then this pricing is envisaged to boost 7s Plus sales, meaning that Apple doesn't expect much from the new model.

Would I pay $200 more for a display less than or equal to 7s Plus, absolutely not.
    Sure, if it has other features besides screen size that make it valuable.
    Screen is a fundamental feature. All of the leaked/rumored features are optional.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member

Your opinion is at odds with the phone-buying public -- who have made the 7 the most popular iPhone yet. This despite the tech media and web complainers. No one cares about artificial criticisms like it using a familiar design. That's as silly to normal people as me complaining that the new Pioneer receivers look just like my 6-year-old receiver. Uh yeah, it's a home receiver -- black boxy thing that does a job...what is it supposed to look like, a triangle!? Same nonsense about the phone's visual design. 
    Yup.. design on a personal product carried around with u is completely irrelevant and a none issue.  Why even worry about industrial design.. change and freshness.. its only been 4 years. 

your comment is so detached from what Apple actually stands for. Or rather say used to stand for. 

But hey to each his/her own.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    sog35 said:
    physguy said:
    So, Kuo's been wrong  at least once on almost everything on iPhone 8 so far why should this be believed now.  He gets his accuracy for continually updated until launch and then, guess what, his last prediction, is almost right :)
    From the report: "Rumors about an "iPhone 8" delay may have been unfounded, as analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated on Tuesday"

Wasn't Kuo the one that started to whole "delayed" launch rumor?  Uh, yes he was.

Limited units in the September quarter?  Uh, that makes sense because there is no benefit to pumping September numbers beyond just enough of the new model to show QoQ unit growth.  It's been that way every year since FY2007 (ex FY2011).

It is my belief, and has been so stated for about 4 months, that the 2017 OLED iPhone will be called the iPhone "SJ Edition" or "Steve Jobs Edition", or ..., so as not to confuse this anomaly handset with the customary naming convention.  In 2018 Apple will introduce the iPhone 10 and iPhone 10 Plus, with the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus dropping down the pricing tier as before.  The iPhone "SJ Edition/Steve Jobs Edition" will ONLY be offered during FY2018.
    I think it will be called the iPhoneX

Then next year iPhoneX1, then iPhoneX2, ect.

I think calling something iPhone12 will be very awkward
    If it is called "X" or "Deca" or some other fancy extension then you can be sure that it will be withdrawn in a couple of years. Only the "Pro" moniker may give some hope about its persistence.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    ireland said:
    Ming continues to change his story.
    The important thing is to hit the target occasionally while firing blindly, so you can have a "strong track record" of being on target.
    StrangeDayslarryjwpscooter63Rayz2016
  • Reply 39 of 65
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

iPhone Pricing:

iPhone 7s - $599  
    iPhone 7s Plus - $699

iPhone X - $899

The iPhoneX would be targeting the premium Apple fan who always buys the new phone. It will also target iPhone owners who are tired of the same design ( 6, 6s, 7, 7s).

I doubt many 6 Plus/6s Plus/7 Plus owners would upgrade to the 7s Plus. Its basically the same phone but faster and few other upgrades. Most likey they will buy the X.
    Unless Apple puts some breakthrough core technology in it, the most favorable thing that can be said on that new model is "experimental". I appreciate the value of the facial recognition and I believe it may be expanded to the whole iPhone range and even to the MBP. But unlocking the phone or the Mac is only an optional feature, the Watch already does that transparently on the Mac, the password being always the default. And what is that notch on the screen? They've even made an icon of it... Besides that weirdness, the display area is further reduced by moving some utility icons to that function area at the bottom of the screen (according to rumors/leaks). Wireless charging: unless they implement their patent and make the iMac Pro an emitter wirelessly charging nearby Apple devices, that makes not sense if it relies solely on a charging pad.

Some daemon in me pushes me to believe that the leak discovered with the HomePod software may not be an accidental one, but we'll never know of course, at least in the near future...
  • Reply 40 of 65
    I had an iPhone 6+ and was going to hold out for the iPhone 8. But I decided to go for a 7+ I think I made the correct decision. It looks to me like the iPhone "9+" or the 8S+ is what to hold out for now.  
    What on earth has suggested that the *next* phones will be the ones to get? It doesn't work that way. Every iteration is a great phone, and it depends on when *you* need one.
    One of the articles I read online suggested that next year, the iPhone 8 would be "last years model" and you wouldn't want it anymore because it's awesomeness has a shelf life of 1 year. The article argued that you should buy it next year "when it costs $650." As if.