Shares of Apple close at all-time high of $160.08, blowing past previous record

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited August 2017
As hype for the "iPhone 8" continues to build, investors are buying in on Apple stock, sending shares to new record highs on Tuesday. The gains held throughout the day, allowing AAPL stock to close above the $160 mark for the first time ever.

Prior to Tuesday's record setting close of $160.08, the previous all-time high was $157.14.

Apple also exceeded its intraday trading record, surging past the old record of $159.75. During trading on Tuesday, shares of AAPL went as high as $161.83.

Apple stock has been a strong performer of late, and has seen a considerable upswing since the company announced better-than-expected third-quarter earnings last week. The company also provided investors with strong guidance for the current September quarter, leading to expectations that the highly anticipated "iPhone 8" will debut before September is through.

Apple's gains throughout 2017 have been relatively steady, after shares of the company started off the year around $116.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member

Prior to Tuesday's record setting close of $160.08, the previous all-time high was $157.14.

Apple also exceeded its intraday trading record, surging past the old record of $159.75. During trading on Tuesday, shares of AAPL went as high as $161.83.

AAPL's previous all-time closing high was the $158.81 that it closed at yesterday.
    radarthekatbshank
  • Reply 2 of 28
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    sog35 said:
    Like I've been saying since late last year:  $170 by end of 2017.

Glad I don't listen to teh bull shit media who was dumping on Apple all last year and the beginning of this year.  My shares are looking NICE. 

Prediction for 2018?  Too early to tell.  But we could see $200.

Don't start any new predictions please  ;)

It was a nice day, "stockwise".
    SpamSandwichronnwatto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 3 of 28
    The beleaguered computer manufacturer...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Apple could always Split 1 to 5 and give a other Run up to 150 in the next 10 years.
    1 was gifted one Apple Stock a number of years ago. (Oct 2001)
    it Doubled once
    and then split 7 fold.
    making the Gesture of one Stock in a frame value at the time 1 US Dollar
    now 14 stock valued at  $ 2240
    Now if.......
    equality72521bshankronnanton zuykov
  • Reply 5 of 28
    sog35 said:
    Apple could always Split 1 to 5 and give a other Run up to 150 in the next 10 years.
    it Doubled once
    and then split 7 fold.
    Now if.......
    That would mean Apple would be worth close to $3.5 trillion.
    Maybe he means the value of the frame was $1?  

It wouldn't surprise me if his current valuation is correct but he's off on the original, 2001, price.  I can't remember AAPL being that low since I started paying attention to it, which was long ago.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    sog35 said:
    it Doubled once
    and then split 7 fold.
    Now if.......
    No, that means AAPL would be worth #3.5Trillion making a lot of stock holders very happy. Apple only gets whatever amount of AAPL stock they hold as do Apple employees with stocks.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Prediction:  At the slightest hiccup in the stock price our friend Sog will be back to calling for Tim Cook's head.  That's what I recall most vividly.  Fact is, it's arguable Tim Cook was, and continues to be, the very best choice to lead Apple.  By a wide margin.  To my mind, the very worst and most myopic of calls was made by those who never grokked this and repeatedly called for Cook's ouster.
    edited August 2017 king editor the gratemacseekerSpamSandwichRayz2016StrangeDaystrashman692old4funbaconstanglolliverSoli
  • Reply 8 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Prediction:  At the slightest hiccup in the stock price our friend Sog will be back to calling for Tim Cook's head.  That's what I recall most vividly.  Fact is, it's arguable Tim Cook was, and continues to be, the very best choice to lead Apple.  By a wide margin.  To my mind, the very worst and most myopic of calls was made by those who never grokked this and repeatedly called for Cook's ouster.
    The forum has been better with Sog's silence.  
    SpamSandwichRayz2016trashman69fastasleeplolliverSoli
  • Reply 9 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

All I know is that this would never have happened if Steve were alive!

(Too soon?)

ronn
  • Reply 10 of 28
    sog35 said:
    it Doubled once
    and then split 7 fold.
    Now if.......
    Maybe he means the value of the frame was $1?  

It wouldn't surprise me if his current valuation is correct but he's off on the original, 2001, price.  I can't remember AAPL being that low since I started paying attention to it, which was long ago.
    Sorry about that the 1 in the second line should have been a "I" and the Stock Price of the Gifted 1 Apple Stock on the 4th of October 2001 it value then was around $15 , the Price i quoted was the split adjusted price (https://www.historicalstockprice.com/history/?a=historical&ticker=AAPL&month=10&day=04&year=2001) Sorry for the mistake.
    But still a amazing trip for one Paper Stock where the Frame was possible more expensive than the Printed Stock. And now I am considering moving it to my Portfolio. My Broker expressed it might even be more valuable today because Paper Stocks are no longer being offered.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Absolutely. Sog35 is the worst kind of investor: a short-term thinker who is over-exposed and fixated on one stock. 
    ronnSoli
  • Reply 12 of 28
    $160 a share! This can't possibly be. Apple is trying to break 'THE LAW OF LARGE NUMBERS' barrier, yet again. I'm not sure what share price that barrier is set at but Apple must be getting very close to bring the analyst and pundit cockroaches out from under their dark hiding places. CNBC usually tries to find at least several 'well-informed' Apple critics a few times a week so they can face the camera and start telling everyone that Apple is really in trouble or they've discovered no one will be buying Apple's coming $1500!!! iPhone or there never was an iPhone 'super cycle' and there never will be one in the future. They'll go on to say how Apple is a house of cards waiting for a gentle breeze to knock it down.

To some people, no matter what Apple does or how much revenue and profits Apple makes or how large Apple's reserve cash pile grows, Apple is truly and forever DOOMED. These know-it-all geniuses will claim that without Steve Jobs orchestrating the company, Apple will eventually end up in ruins. Another day, another Apple failure. Failure can't happen to any of the FANG stocks because they are the perfect companies run by perfect CEOs. Only Apple can fail. So Apple bulls, don't get so cocky. It's only a matter of weeks before we discover there is no new iPhone in the pipeline and what we've seen so far is just a case of mass hypnosis.  SELL... APPLE... NOW!  Warren Buffett is secretly selling his Apple shares before anyone is the wiser.  Tim Cook is suffering from dementia.  Jony Ive is currently designing an iToaster using an A12 processor.  The end is near for Apple.

/s  /s  /s
    edited August 2017 baconstangSoli
  • Reply 13 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Keep it up and thanks, Apple. A lot of us are going to be retiring soon thanks to this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sog35 said:

Glad I don't listen to teh bull shit media who was dumping on Apple all last year and the beginning of this year.  My shares are looking NICE. 

I bet you’re also glad you didn’t listen to yourself when you said they should fire Cook. rolleyes
    ronnlolliverSoliwatto_cobratherunningvmbrucemc
  • Reply 15 of 28
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Couldn't agree with you more! Tim Cooke and Apple are firing on all cylinders and the results are reflected in the company's stock price. Originally I was only going to purchase the 2017 MacBook Pro with TouchBar, 10.5" iPad Pro and iPhone 8 this year, but now I've added HomePod, Apple Watch 3 with LTE and Apple TV with 4K to the list. 2017 isn't just the banner anniversary year for the iPhone: it's the year that Apple came roaring back across virtually all product lines. 
    Keep living by the motto "Carpé Diem" Tim, and kudos to you for filling a legend's shoes with a winning formula and with honor.
    edited August 2017 baconstanglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    sog35 said:

YOU were dumping on Apple and Tim Cook last year. That's all we heard.
    ronnlolliverSoliRayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 28
    sog35 said:

Just stop. This is nonsensical b-s.

Short of being a great astrologer or an amazing psychic -- both oxymorons -- you have zero basis for forecasting prices, let alone sentiment, momentum and growth.
    SpamSandwichronnlolliverSoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 28
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    sog35 said:

Like I've been saying since late last year:  $200 by end of 2017.

Prediction for 2018?  Too early to tell.  But we could see $275.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but but too reliant on iPhone, increased competition, no innovation, Jobs would never, ...
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    DCJ0001 said:
    sog35 said:

Like I've been saying since late last year:  $200 by end of 2017.

Prediction for 2018?  Too early to tell.  But we could see $275.
    I say "Touch Wood".  I'm not superstitious either ;)