Tile unveils new Pro Series Sport and Style iPhone-connected Bluetooth trackers

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Tile has added a pair of new Bluetooth trackers to its product line, in the new Tile Sport and Tile Style.

Announced on Tuesday, the two new additions have a longer Bluetooth range of up to 200 feet, in an new IP68 dust and water resistant enclosure. Tile claims that the new "Pro Series" trackers can be submerged in 1.5 meters of water for at least 30 minutes.

The Tile Pro Series has a non-replaceable battery that will last one year, and not require charging.

The new units are twice as loud, and have a new hardware suite combined with an improved iOS app for more accuracy in locating the waylaid device.

The Tile Sport has a patterned design, and is clearly aimed at a more rugged demographic. The Tile Style is white, with gold-colored inlays and outer ring. Both have a triangular hole in the upper left of the device to attach to a key ring, or other fastener.

Both Pro Series Tile trackers announced on Tuesday retail for $35 each, and a pair of them for $60. Replacement Tile trackers from any series are available for $25 after 11 months of ownership.

The Tile Mate and Tile Slim remain available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Glad to see the upfront information on the battery life and how disposable these are. It's an interesting value proposition that I was unaware of when gifting these to some people in their first year of sales. It felt like a con-job when the Tiles died and there was no way to charge them or cheaply swap batteries. At the same time, one of the people we gifted it to recovered an expensive item that covered the cost of all of them, I think. These should continue to improve but I hope they find a way to do it with less waste over time.
    edited August 2017 jony0schlackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I can't see why tiles can't be made to be rechargeable. It would require a special charging dock and contacts on the tile, while maintaining the one piece housing. Of course you would not have the year replacement cycle......
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Nice aesthetic improvement. 

What i'd like to see is the future use of iOS 11 indoor mapping.   Trackr (a competitor) has a device that plugs into the wall and will tell you 
    what room their sensor is in.   It would seem like this could and should be a common feature with indoor mapping functionality in the OS. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    I can't see why tiles can't be made to be rechargeable. It would require a special charging dock and contacts on the tile, while maintaining the one piece housing. Of course you would not have the year replacement cycle......
    They decided on the subscription business model. A bit shady. Nonetheless, I bought one for my wife recently after she nearly lost her keys (w/ 2 key fobs on it...would have cost $300+ to replace).
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 9
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    I bought 2 of these things..a total waste of money
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I guess the thinking is while it was charging, you'd probably lose the the thing it was normally attached to. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Trackr (a competitor) has a device that plugs into the wall and will tell you 
    what room their sensor is in.   It would seem like this could and should be a common feature with indoor mapping functionality in the OS. 
    There is a Kickstarter campaign right now for a night light that will find things in your home as well.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2042970092/zing-worlds-smartest-night-light?ref=user_menu
  • Reply 8 of 9
    stanhope said:
    I respect your opinion but had the exact opposite experience.

I have placed Tiles inside my wallet, glasses case, and keys. On several occasions the Tile helped me find the item in 30 seconds, not the 30 minutes I otherwise would have spent walking anxiously throughout the house. Great product, in my opinion.
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 9
    stanhope said:
    I 2nd this, bought the combo pack for $100 and the one feature I assumed it had, it doesn't! 

If you lose something, it doesn't beep to say it's out of range, or you've left it behind. You have to wait until you realise it's gone then open the app and see where it was last seen which could have been hours ago - no use if something is stolen, or left on a taxi/bus/train/etc. as it's no longer in that same place and no way to track it beyond that. Sure you could hope there are other Tile users that it passes by, but here in the far north of Scotland, the only tiles people know about are fitted in kitchens and bathrooms.