New report says Apple's 'iPhone 8' already in mass production, despite recent claims

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Apple's assembly partners are already working full-tilt on three new iPhones for this fall, acccording to one report, differing from a recent claim that the "iPhone 8" won't enter mass production until mid-September.

The lineup includes two LCD-based phones and one OLED model, DigiTimes sources said on Wednesday. That would support most rumors about Apple's product slate, which have pointed toward 4.7- and 5.5-inch "iPhone 7s" units, and a more radically altered "iPhone 8" with an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED display.

The people said that while there won't be shortages of the "7s" models, the "8" could potentially run into problems. A number of reports have echoed that sentiment -- most recently one from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said that while the "iPhone 8" will launch at the same time as its counterparts, it won't enter volume production until the middle of next month, leaving it in extremely short supply.

Kuo estimated that as few as 2 to 4 million units could be made in the September quarter. That figure could rapidly escalate to between 45 and 50 million units by the end of the year.

Other "iPhone 8" features may include facial recognition, a virtual home button, laser autofocus, fast cable charging, and/or wireless charging. The "7s" line is rumored to be keeping a physical home button, but may share some of the "8's" additions, like charging upgrades.

It's still unclear what the devices will actually be called. The OLED model has sometimes been referred to as the "iPhone X" or "iPhone Pro," the latter being a possibility in light of the iPad Pro, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and upcoming iMac Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And we should believe this rumor over the others because...?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 2 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    And we should believe this rumor over the others because...?
    Because the phones are designed 2 years ahead of time.
    MetriacanthosaurusRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 43
    So all the angst, drama, and speculative analyst predictions about delayed release of iPhone 8 were just... hot air.
    bb-15anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 43
    iPhone "Pro." No other name makes sense.
    muthuk_vanalingamnetmagelolliver
  • Reply 5 of 43
    sounds to me like a factory worker at company A leaked info to Kuo to say his company is working on iphone but not until sept, meanwhile company B, C & D has been at it full tilt for months and now a worker from one of them leaks info to verify. makes sense to ramp up production around that time so more companies are brought in and released as supply&demand evens out later on.

still hoping to be wowed and shocked as something is unveiled that hasn't been leaked so far.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    This is exactly why I take everything with a grain of salt until September...smh
    mwhitewatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 7 of 43

still hoping to be wowed and shocked as something is unveiled that hasn't been leaked so far.
    Alas there hasn’t been much of a “wow” or “shock” factor for years. All details of new products, especially iPhone, are leaked weeks or months in advance leaving Tim & Co nothing much to do but confirm the rumors.
    bb-15
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Trust no one when it comes to Apple information. People on the internet writing articles about Apple are either liars or in desperate need of attention. No matter how many times Apple has told analysts or news media people about not relying on the supply chain for reliable information, they refuse to listen to that advice. Analysts and pundits are either stubborn or they simply don't care whether their information is reliable or not. However, they start to mention about the 'fears of investors' are coming true.

I believe analysts are truly despicable miscreants who should be held responsible for their lies and mistruths. I think they can really do harm to the small retail investors who might believe them. I wouldn't give any of those crooks the time of day. Whether it's good or bad information, I know these analysts have an agenda of looking out for the big investors. No one is asking for Kuo's estimates/guesses. Apple will produce whatever number of units it can and that's all that matters.
    edited August 2017 Metriacanthosauruslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    All I can do is comment on all the launches over the last 10 years.  The iPhone 8 regardless of when it hits mass production will no doubt be in short supply for months.  Anyone with me on this?
    quadra 610watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    New report about rumoured claims reported from unconfirmed sources rumoured to be close to situation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 43
    GoreckiGorecki Posts: 29member
    There is nothing "Pro" about that phone, so your name actually makes no sense at all.

"Pro" means that it is suited for professionals. 

It will be called "iPhone Edition", just like the ceramic AW.
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Sheesh. The whole thing was fake news to begin with. Created, in large part, by clueless people like Kuo.

People should stop paying attention to this nonsense. Or buy the stock for the long haul if there's a dip because of such crap.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gmgravytrain said:. No one is asking for Kuo's estimates/guesses.
    His subscribed investors are, and that's who these reports go to. They aren't meant as press releases. 

As for which rumors to believe and which ones we shouldn't have we'll all know soon enough. If some models ship while other do not, or the "Pro" (!) version sells out in a day and remains out of stock for weeks then perhaps Kuo knows more than some give him credit for. On the other hand if there's only slight or no inventory issues  in any particular iPhone models then maybe Kuo is not as well-connected as some presume. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 14 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Gorecki said:
    There is nothing "Pro" about that phone, so your name actually makes no sense at all.

"Pro" means that it is suited for professionals. 

It will be called "iPhone Edition", just like the ceramic AW.
    While standing for the word professional, the "Pro" moniker in Apple parlance means essentially "deluxe". This is also common with software to designate the freebie or streamlined version of an app and the more expensive, full-featured version.

And yes, there is plenty of reason to believe this particular model is more deluxe than the others.
    edited August 2017 netmage
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Sheesh. The whole thing was fake news to begin with. Created, in large part, by clueless people like Kuo.

People should stop paying attention to this nonsense. Or buy the stock for the long haul if there's a dip because of such crap.
    I would think Apple appreciates all the press attention, driving more and more interest from potential buyers. IMHO I would be surprised if Apple itself is not behind some of the controlled "leaks" we read whenever new products are soon to hit the market. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 16 of 43
    gatorguy said:

I would think Apple appreciates all the press attention, driving more and more interest from potential buyers. IMHO I would be surprised if Apple itself is not behind some of the controlled "leaks" we read whenever new products are soon to hit the market. 
    That's such bs. Provide some -- any -- evidence.
    netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 43
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Next rumor will be the iPhone is delayed due to a shipping container shortage and the stock will fall. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Anniversary Edition is the one that makes the most sense;
    soon to shortened by people to just Edition
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    gatorguy said:

That's such bs. Provide some -- any -- evidence.
    Evidence for what I think? LOL! But be that as it may have a read:
    https://9to5mac.com/2014/08/29/seeing-through-the-illusion-understanding-apples-mastery-of-the-media/
    https://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/14/how-apples-controlled-leak-policy-keeps-us-hooked/

Advice: You should take time to read more on your own before calling BS on someone else's (in this case supported) opinion. If you disagree with my opinion that Apple is behind some of the new product "leaks" we read...
     ...please supply some -- any -- evidence that I'm wrong. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 20 of 43
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    iPhone Edition also makes sense.
    bb-15