New dummy unit of Apple's 'iPhone 8' shows off alleged gold/copper color

Posted:
in iPhone
Photos of a supposed "iPhone 8" design dummy published on Wednesday depict the device in a rumored gold/copper color, though the dummy's provenance is unknown.

The dummy is consistent with other "iPhone 8" rumors pointing to a glass back, a vertically-aligned dual-lens camera, and an edge-to-edge OLED display with a sensor "notch" at the top. Several photos of the mockup were shared by Giga.de editor Ben Miller.

The unit is similar to hardware that recently appeared on China's Weibo, down to the notch and front bezels being all-white. It's more likely that shipping phones will make these sections black so as to blend with the display.

On Tuesday, well-connected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that the "iPhone 8" will launch this September in three colors: black, silver, and gold. That would mark a sharp reduction versus the iPhone 7, which is available in six -- black, "jet" black, silver, gold, rose gold, and finally (Product)Red.

A decision to scale back may have been made because of production issues. Kuo has predicted that as few as 2 to 4 million units could be ready this quarter, even if manufacturing scales up rapidly.

The "iPhone 8" should offer features like an "A11" processor, 3D facial recognition, and faster and/or wireless charging. A physical home button should be replaced with a virtual one, though it's still uncertain how Apple will cope with Touch ID if it doesn't just replace it with facial recognition.
albegarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Expecting Samsung to introduce copper so they can say we did it first. 
  • Reply 2 of 48
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I will be very disappointed if Touch ID is on the back of the phone.  If there is *no* Touch ID, I will be absolutely shocked!  I can't imagine Apple would just eliminate it, even if the facial recognition is perfect.  There are too many cases where users cannot safely expose their face to the phone (while doing construction on a building, for example).

All that being said, I can blindly say I'll probably get one, even though I don't really know what it will do or how much it will cost.  I guess I'm a fanboy.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    sog35 said:
    Front Bezel is UGLY in white. very ugly.

Fake.
    It being ugly never stopped Apple using it in several existing models.

So, if it's fake, it's not for that.

Plus, it can still be an early prototype model, before final manufacturing runs / paint jobs.

• Reply 4 of 48
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    How will facial recognition work for people in hijabs and other highly concealing clothing?  I chopped my smart ass remarks following that. It’s what you were thinking. 
  • Reply 5 of 48
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    sog35 said:

Fake.

Why is Apple using a glass back? To cut costs.

Pretty obvious that Apple shock the world with pricing:

iPhone 7s $579
    iPhone 7s Plus $699

iPhone X - $799

Apple purposely leaked that the phone would be $1000+ last year.  That way when the phone gets a price of $799 people would say 'that's cheap!"

If they didn't leak the expensive price, then people said Apple was ripping people off by increasing the price from $650 for the iPhone7 to $799 for the iPhoneX.  Now it will look like a bargain.
    To cut cost? When did Apple do anything to cut costs? They build what they want. Financials are worked out after the fact. They don’t ignore costs, it is part of the decision to go or not. They didn’t choose plastic which would have cut costs. Please crawl back into your cave and dream your dreams without bothering to post your drivel.
    mejsricbaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 48
    I see some intriguing dots on the side of the phone in the palm of the hand. What is that?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    People who think faceID can't replace touchID just aren't using their imagination. If you are looking at your phone to do something, It can be looking back at you. A face mask is just the same thing as gloves; either take it off or use a password.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 48
    The unit is similar to hardware that recently appeared on China's Weibo, down to the notch and front bezels being all-white. It's more likely that shipping phones will make these sections black so as to blend with the display.

Apple could just as easily make the section of screen in the notched area with a white background and black font to blend in when the phone is on. They already do this when you turn on a non-black iPhone with a white background and black logo and vise-versa with black phones. I get that it would look better when the phone is off to have a black background, but the color scheme would be terrible. 
  • Reply 9 of 48
    PekoePekoe Posts: 6member
    I agree with folks that Touch ID is an absolute requirement, and cannot be completely replaced by facial recognition.  However, I seem to be in a minority in thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the Touch ID button was on the back of the device, assuming it was properly placed.  When I hold/use my iPhone my index finger naturally falls on the back of the device, and it would work well to be able to just push the button without needing to move my hand or reposition the device.  My understanding is that Samsung put their back button way up by the camera which would be awful and unusable.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    roake said:
    I will be very disappointed if Touch ID is on the back of the phone.  If there is *no* Touch ID, I will be absolutely shocked!  I can't imagine Apple would just eliminate it, even if the facial recognition is perfect.  There are too many cases where users cannot safely expose their face to the phone (while doing construction on a building, for example).
    Edge cases ("What if you're doing construction on a building! On a rope!") don't matter, any more than they do with Touch ID. When edge cases happen, you have to use the passcode. World turns.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 11 of 48
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Another rumor is that the iPhone 8 will be able to make breakfast and sew clothing.

SpamSandwichRayz2016baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 48
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    sog35 said:

Agree that the white face makes those large camera / sensor holes stick out unnecessarily. But there is another aesthetical problem with the front: Look closely, it has raised edges all around. This is the reason why it looks so backward. Don't get me started with the rear. I have no idea why this ugly camera bump needs to be especially emphasized with a shiny metal ring. --> I really hope this is fake. Otherwise, I have to conclude that Jony Ive has been sidelined
    trashman69
  • Reply 13 of 48
    That colour is seriously ugly, I hope that changes before release.
    trashman69
  • Reply 14 of 48
    sog35 said:

To allow for Wireless Charging on the back.
    mejsricbaconstangStrangeDayscornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 48
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    He is back. It's the well connected man again. /s
  • Reply 16 of 48
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    "Copper"?
    ...No,
    "Coffee Diarrhea"...
    bgarnetttrashman69cornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    ok why is that people comment on how ugly the white looks... but iOS is mostly white so it may look good when it's on. If it's OLED then it's possible that the display is seamless. That could be a challenge but we'll see.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    When you pick up a gorgeous looking white or silver iPhone 8 that got dropped in the toilet full of poop. 
  • Reply 19 of 48
    sog35 said:

To allow for Wireless Charging on the back.
    Glass back costs more than an aluminum casing.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Perfect match for the new frying pan I bought on TV! 
    baconstangpscooter63cornchip