Amazon expected to counter Apple's AirPlay 2 with Echo-based whole-home audio

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    glynh said:
    Soli said:

That's all irreverent. If I swap an Echo Dot for an Echo in the exact same place in the exact same room the Echo Dot will sound worse. The HW is the fucking HW.
    Not if you connect a half-decent external speaker to the Echo Dot by BT or 3.5mm jack it won't! :)
    Not only that, he's conveniently forgetting the processing that the Homepod is doing and how it will manipulate the audio in response to audio feedback from the room.
    Even a high end speaker can sound terrible because of environmental, setup or room conditions; Apple is attempting a problem non one is addressing really, that speakers and stereo setting is still a fidgety mess independent of the quality of stereo equipment and the speakers. That's why often you listen to your stereo at the store and it sounds great and it sounds like crap at home.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Why even bother.

Echo's speakers are so crappy in sound quality, i'm better off just using the speaker on my phone
    It would be impossible for Amazon to use bigger and better speakers in a product¡
    not impossible. but then it means you have to replace 4 echo speakers around the home. What a pain
    No it doesn't, and your "concern" for Echo owners isn't the same as your original statement where you implied that it's not possible for Amazon to add better speakers to their home-based digital personal assistant because Apple's solution will have a better built-in speaker system.
    Wait -- how are you suggesting Amazon can introduce better speakers without requiring one to replace all their existing Echoes (the ones with the, you know, crummy speakers)?
    How are you suggesting that you can't create a new model that has speakers for your living room A/V without getting rid of al other products? Did Amazon get rid of the Echo because they introduced an Echo Dot? Did Apple get rid of the iPhone because they introduced the HomePod (which people like you said was all you need to have Siri in the home)?

PS: As it's been detailed many times before, you don't even need to get rid of your Echo devices to have amazing sound in your living room that will easily best what Apple will offer with their HomePod out of the box.
    Considering how crappy the room acoustic is and how badly configured and placed the systems are not to mention not responsive to user location or music played, those are bold claims considering what apple claims it can do and the fact you haven't heard it in action but others have.

Thats the problem none of those expensive system that sound like crap do... ir Amazon is claiming to be doing even in the future.

That's all irreverent. If I swap an Echo Dot for an Echo in the exact same place in the exact same room the Echo Dot will sound worse. The HW is the fucking HW.
    Frack, do you actually read what I write and comment on it…
    I did, and it was absolute bullshit.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    larrya said:
    Sonos is starting to look doomed, and I don't say so with any sense of glee (I have $1200 invested in them).  Year after year goes by with no BT, no Airplay.  I don't know if Apple will stream all the same services, or if they will freeze everyone else out to promote Apple Music. If they do the former, I no longer see an argument for Sonos, assuming the quality of this new speaker is as good as people claim.
    Sonos appears to be ceding the mass market to other vendors.  I see their recent moves to get back in with integrators as a refocus on the high end channel with integration with Crestron, RTI, Control4 and other brands.    They still do the UX side better than anyone but the market is going commodity and that's not going to deliver the revenue/profits they need. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Why even bother.

Echo's speakers are so crappy in sound quality, i'm better off just using the speaker on my phone
    It would be impossible for Amazon to use bigger and better speakers in a product¡
    not impossible. but then it means you have to replace 4 echo speakers around the home. What a pain
    No it doesn't, and your "concern" for Echo owners isn't the same as your original statement where you implied that it's not possible for Amazon to add better speakers to their home-based digital personal assistant because Apple's solution will have a better built-in speaker system.
    Wait -- how are you suggesting Amazon can introduce better speakers without requiring one to replace all their existing Echoes (the ones with the, you know, crummy speakers)?
    How are you suggesting that you can't create a new model that has speakers for your living room A/V without getting rid of al other products? Did Amazon get rid of the Echo because they introduced an Echo Dot? Did Apple get rid of the iPhone because they introduced the HomePod (which people like you said was all you need to have Siri in the home)?

PS: As it's been detailed many times before, you don't even need to get rid of your Echo devices to have amazing sound in your living room that will easily best what Apple will offer with their HomePod out of the box.
    Considering how crappy the room acoustic is and how badly configured and placed the systems are not to mention not responsive to user location or music played, those are bold claims considering what apple claims it can do and the fact you haven't heard it in action but others have.

Thats the problem none of those expensive system that sound like crap do... ir Amazon is claiming to be doing even in the future.

I have a feeling that once the novelty of Apple's steering technology wears off, you're going to find it more of an annoyance than an enhancement. Of course, I'd be very happy to have to eat my words.