Marvel & Star Wars could be separate from new Disney streaming service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Despite nominally being under the same corporate banner, Marvel and "Star Wars" could be spun off into their own streaming services separate from one Disney announced this week, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

The content could still be put on a Disney-branded service, coming in 2019, but there may not be much overlap between the three fanbases, TechCrunch quoted Iger as saying. The company is reportedly considering multiple options -- and whether or not there's even enough video to sustain separate entities.

"We're mindful of the volume of product that would go into those services, and we want to be careful about that," Iger said.

While there are a growing number of Marvel movies and TV shows, it would still represent just a fraction of the material available on services like Netflix and Hulu. There are even fewer "Star Wars" properties, including just nine mainline movies and spinoff shows like "Droids," "Rebels," and "Clone Wars."

Iger told CNBC that there are no plans to pull Marvel shows from Netflix. New movies will stop appearing there by the time the Disney streaming service launches, however.

Any services from Disney will almost certainly appear on iPhones, iPads, and the Apple TV. Apple is believed to be preparing a fifth-generation Apple TV, which should support 4K and various HDR standards, and possibly ship as soon as this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What about Pixar? What about ESPN?

No, there's not enough Star Wars content to devote to a channel, even if you include the  Clone Wars or Rebels series. Marvel and Disney each have tons of content.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 2 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Shrek may also be spun off into its own service. 
    E’Tallitnics
  • Reply 3 of 16
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Boo. I am not going to buy content streams from dozens of sources. I'll start pirating before I accept that. 
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Appleish said:
    Boo. I am not going to buy content streams from dozens of sources. I'll start pirating before I accept that. 
    Disgusting thief!
    supadav03jony0lolliver[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Choice is nice and all but video streaming is getting ridiculously fragmented.
    zeus423lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 16
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    Wonder if they'd do a combined Marvel/Star Wars service. Though a combined Muppets/Star Wars service would be more historically related. Will they be desperate enough for content to pull out the Star Wars Holiday Special?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    sog35 said:
    And why is that a problem?

Instead of changing channels, just change apps. 

I see no problem with it at all.
    It's mostly a matter of nickel-and-diming, I imagine. Let's say you're paying $10 for Netflix, $15 for HBO Now, and $8 for Hulu. You're already up to $33 plus tax on top of your internet bill, and you're still missing big items like Showtime or live TV.

There's also convenience. Having to load multiple apps to watch things quickly starts to become less convenient than just flipping channels.
    lolliverviclauyyclorin schultz
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sog35 said:

It's mostly a matter of nickel-and-diming, I imagine. Let's say you're paying $10 for Netflix, $15 for HBO Now, and $8 for Hulu. You're already up to $33 plus tax on top of your internet bill, and you're still missing big items like Showtime or live TV.

There's also convenience. Having to load multiple apps to watch things quickly starts to become less convenient than just flipping channels.
    I don't have an AppleTV, but isn't the experience of using the various "channels" roughly the same as just changing a channel through an over-the-top cable box?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lkrupp said:
    Appleish said:
    Disgusting thief!
    Eh, the market responds. If people weren’t willing to pirate music I doubt the music biz would have ever agreed to sell single tracks. If the movie biz makes it too difficult to legally obtain the content, then it’s just common sense that the market will react with easier methods. This is just fact. 

That being said, I hope the media companies keep it easier to legally obtain their product. 
  • Reply 10 of 16

sog35 said:

No, it is remarkably easy to switch apps in ATV, just like app switching on iphone. 

But I could care less, I don’t flip channels or apps - I sit down to consume the content I have in mind. That’s how most people use these devices now. Flipping thru channels of mindless shit is the old way of watching TV. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    No, there's not enough Star Wars content to devote to a channel
    Oh trust me, there WILL be. THERE WILL BE.

lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 16
    No, there's not enough Star Wars content to devote to a channel
    Oh trust me, there WILL be. THERE WILL BE.

I've been waiting for these followups to the Original Trilogy for most of my life, so believe me... I'm ready.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Star Wars VIII was a quiet release! Released May 26th and I've heard nothing about it.

• Reply 14 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What about Pixar? What about ESPN?

No, there's not enough Star Wars content to devote to a channel, even if you include the  Clone Wars or Rebels series. Marvel and Disney each have tons of content.
    Disney would probably be fine with just two services - one for young kids, one for everything not aimed at kids. They could even have a single app and you just pick which content you want inside of it and the subscription adjusts. If you want just content for younger kids, it can be $5/month, if you want Star Wars/Marvel too, maybe it's $7/month, add ESPN it's $9/month. If you want just Star Wars, Marvel and ESPN, it's $5/month.

There is a problem with branding this way. The Disney brand doesn't sit well being the entry point to Star Wars, Marvel and sports content, separate apps work better. Separate apps can fit into a unified subscription model though.

Maybe Apple should have a subscription selector for streaming video content. It would be like a one page checklist for the most popular video subscriptions on the App Store and you just check the ones you want and it shows the total monthly bill so you don't have to install each app from the TV store to find out how much the total will be. Unchecking one would remove the associated apps. There would be other subscriptions that could be searched for from smaller providers but the main TV networks would just show up in the list and it can show all the content they offer. It can highlight where different services offer the same content and also what exclusive content they have. If Disney had a split subscription and someone was already subscribing to Netflix, which had Marvel content, it could highlight that an additional Marvel subscription wasn't needed but it could say that the Disney one had extras like comics, additional features etc.

Netflix could have this model too where people get to pick which content shows in their library. That way there's more money going to the content people actually want, which is apparently low quality Adam Sandler movies:

https://qz.com/942599/netflixs-nflx-most-watched-original-films-are-critical-flops-the-do-over-and-ridiculous-6-from-adam-sandler/

People could choose a package that showed a higher amount of recent movies that cuts out some older content. At the very least, they'd have their standard/premium payment tiers in the list. The aggregate subscription page can be something like this:

The list would be longer and can scroll behind the total but that lets people see the prices and where they are paying for the same content multiple times, each item can show a promo/info page on swiping right when it's highlighted. People can easily switch subscription tiers and content packs with the sub lists and see how it affects the price. It can also bill once at the same time no matter when the subscription starts. Checking for duplicates would be easier if streamed content had item/pack numbers like ISBN codes.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Marvin said:
    …that lets people see the prices and where they are paying for the same content multiple times…
    The telecoms would never go for it.