Apple HomeKit added to Ikea Tradfri smart bulb line with firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Ikea has quietly added HomeKit support to its inexpensive Tradfri line of smart bulbs, necessitating a firmware update to the system's bridge to enable.

Ikea never proclaimed that it had updated the system. Confirmation of the addition only came after a user of the system noted a technical details change, and performed the firmware update.

The Tradfri system spans nearly every kind of residential light bulb connector, with desk lamp compatible E12, Edison connector E27, and fixture-compatible GU10 bulbs available in the system. A network gateway plugs into an Ethernet connector on a router or hub, allowing for the iOS app to control connected bulbs.

By itself, a stand-alone bulb and a dimmer remote that can control up to 10 bulbs retails for $19.99. A motion sensor kit with a single bulb retails for $25. If a user wishes to use any kind of smartphone application application to control the system, the gateway is required and sells for $30. Individual bulbs are available for as low as $11.99.

The Tradfri app requires iOS 8, and occupies 41.5 MB of device storage space.

The firmware update also adds Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility.

AppleInsider is currently examining the system for a future review.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hardly "nearly every kind of residential light bulb connector", all I see is ES (E27), SES (E14) and GU10 in addition to their own light panels. The Philips Hue range covers all those in addition to the B22 bayonet fitting used commonly in the UK etc. I'm not even sure the options cover all the lights IKEA sell as I'm pretty sure I bought some with G9 bulbs in them before.

The prices are unbeatable compared to the competition though.

edit* - just noticed the US site shown above lists E26 & E12 sizes, the UK site shows E27 & E14. I wonder if they're actually the same bulb though.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Your move Philips Hue team. 

To Adm1, the 26 and 27 refers to diameter in mm. The bulbs can generally fit in each other’s sockets however the 27 is rated 220 Volts and is the standard in Europe while the E26 is common in the US.
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Where this might really be excellent are the remote controls and the motion sensor. If they're fully integrated into HomeKit with the bridge, that makes the two cheaper than other alternatives.

We'll let you know in a few days.
    Solilolliver
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I would really appreciate if you guys do a full review or talk about it on your podcast. This would be the first IoT I'd be interested in purchasing because of the variety of the bulbs and price. I think it'll be game changer in the industry. I can't wait until they start expanding the line to smart plugs, LED stripes and other stuff!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The Tradfri are decent bulbs.   

I think if you are a Hue owner there isn't much to be envious of.   The GU10 bulb is the only one that is significantly 
    cheaper (by 10 dollars) than Hue's offering. 

Plus in the US many homes use BR30 downlights. 

That being said the more HomeKit devices the better. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Hmm, the marketing materials I’d seen for Trådfri hadn’t made it clear they needed a wired-only hub for smart device control just like Hue. Kinda makes the idea of switching pointless for me. I’ll keep waiting for Sylvania’s bulbs, which apparently will work entirely independently, instead.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I would really appreciate if you guys do a full review or talk about it on your podcast. This would be the first IoT I'd be interested in purchasing because of the variety of the bulbs and price. I think it'll be game changer in the industry. I can't wait until they start expanding the line to smart plugs, LED stripes and other stuff!
    We'll have a full review after I pick up a few more pieces. Won't be long.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jensonb said:
    Hmm, the marketing materials I’d seen for Trådfri hadn’t made it clear they needed a wired-only hub for smart device control just like Hue. Kinda makes the idea of switching pointless for me. I’ll keep waiting for Sylvania’s bulbs, which apparently will work entirely independently, instead.
    The remotes that come with the bulbs don't need the bridge. But, for the app control to work, you need it.
    chia
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Are there security issues with these systems having access to the network? Is one vendor better than another in that regard?
    edited August 2017 lolliver