Head to head: The best calendar apps for iPhone, iPad, and macOS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    The 1st 3rd party calendar app I used on my iOS devices was Fantastical. I used it until I discovered Sunrise which I immediately loved. It’s views were solid and it’s integration with 3rd party apps/services was awesome. I finally found a calendar app that would display my todo’s and projects from an app other than Reminders (was using Todoist and Trello combo at the time). Tripiit and Evernote integration was also very helpful. Then Microsoft had to acquire it. MS claimed the full functionality of Sunrise would be incorporated into Outlook, however, Outlook calendar for iOS only incorporated some of the most basic Sunrise functions and it still doesn’t allow users to add only the calendar portion of an Exchange account. My company prohibits using 3rd party email apps, but does allow 3rd party calendar apps to access our Exchange calendars. This was a non-issue on Sunrise.  For awhile I had hope that MS’ acquisitions of Sunrise and Wunderlist would be a positive, however, they seem to be intent on buying great apps and ruining them (MS Todo fka Wunderlist is just pathetic and so is Outlook calendar). 

When I switched back to using Apple’s Calendar I discovered the location based travel time feature and loved it.  It has become a necessity for me. I’m not a fan of the view options though. They are pretty terrible compared to the view options in Calendars 5. Pocket Informant  does have travel time, or something similar to it, but it tries to do way too much and has too many options which makes the user interface look like a hot mess. It is also overpriced if you just use it as a calendar. If Fantastical or Calendars 5 would add a travel time option I would switch immediately.  Until then it is Apple Calendar for me. 
  • Reply 22 of 22
    I highly recommend Rooster: Calendar and Tasks for iOS. Best calendar app I've tried on mobile! It's simple, beautiful and makes it really easy to enter appointments and tasks. It streamlines staying organized really. It also links to iCal so you can use your Apple calendar on laptop/desk top and Rooster on mobile.