New video offers closer look at 'copper gold' mockup of Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone
A video uploaded on Thursday offers a close-up with an alleged "iPhone 8" design dummy in "copper gold," potentially one of just three color options for Apple's upcoming flagship.

The "copper gold" dummy has a flat copper color on the back, but is actually a shiny yellow on the sides, according to YouTube producer Danny Winget. He speculated however that the device might look different in its final shipping form.

He expressed similar views about the dummy's white bezels, calling them "hideous." It's frequently expected that Apple will use black bezels across the board to blend them into the phone's 5.8-inch OLED display.

Winget released a similar video earlier this week, offering a glimpse at other "iPhone 8" mockups as well as the LCD-based "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus." Images and video of a copper-tinged "iPhone 8" have been circulating for several days.

Those leaks may be backed by a claim from KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo, who recently said that the "iPhone 8" would ship this September in three shades: black, silver, and gold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    In th jewelry world that color might be called rose gold. 
    longpath
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Since when does Product Red have a back front? How many other of these have been mocked up?

• Reply 3 of 27
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Copper back .. gold sides,  white front , silver(not chrome) logo and some black in the vertical cam.
    Yup thats fasion allright... hideous fashion! 
    trashman69doozydozenjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 27
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,703member
    I hope not. 

Thats s a terrible version of gold. 

And the the rest of the mockup design looks like poop. 
    trashman69retrogusto
  • Reply 5 of 27
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Unfortunately, I'd call that color Zune Brown. Not a fan.
    rogifan_newwatto_cobrastanthemansuddenly newton
  • Reply 6 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I trust that Apple knows the difference between beautiful and hideous.
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Whilst it's not the colour I'd choose I actually quite like the copper. I also hope Apple produce a phone with a white front. I really don't like black phones and prefer to see the border than it blend in. An all black front with no home button just looks like a boring rectangular slab to me. Plus if everyone else wants black I might stand a chance of getting one this year!

Silver and white for me but I'm not offended by the copper at all.  Black would be my last choice.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    2 things that would make me pass on this phone - no Touch ID and a white front which looks absolutely hideous. Also the chrome around the camera bump looks like something Samsung would have done a few years ago. I hope these dummy phones are fake but I remember the iPhone 6 leaks that everyone thought were fake (because the antenna lines looked so awful) and they turned out to be true so these could be too. 
    ksec
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    2 things that would make me pass on this phone - no Touch ID and a white front which looks absolutely hideous. Also the chrome around the camera bump looks like something Samsung would have done a few years ago. I hope these dummy phones are fake but I remember the iPhone 6 leaks that everyone thought were fake (because the antenna lines looked so awful) and they turned out to be true so these could be too. 
    The thing is, people bought the phone even with the antennae lines. 
    netmage
  • Reply 10 of 27
    The camera design and vertical layout is weird, with the chrome edge, If this is the new phone design. I will pass. I am keeping my 6 and 7 for now. I really hope this mock ups are not the real deal.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 11 of 27
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I think this is simply misinformation to throw people off.  Apple would not make something that's so obviously ugly.  They may have released something just to gauge interest in a new color.  Honestly, an copper color would be popular with my wife.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    Does the 8 really need a stand out color? It's going to be different enuff that it will stand out on it's own.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I wish it was more...Copper? It looks very flat. 
  • Reply 14 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jkichline said:
    I think this is simply misinformation to throw people off.  Apple would not make something that's so obviously ugly.  They may have released something just to gauge interest in a new color.  Honestly, an copper color would be popular with my wife.
    People said the same about iPhone 6 leaks those turned out not to be fake. The ugly antenna lines were the real thing. 
    AI_lias
  • Reply 15 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Copper back .. gold sides,  white front , silver(not chrome) logo and some black in the vertical cam.
    Yup thats fasion allright... hideous fashion! 
    It's just a bad plastic dummy. Expect the actual unit to be more inform. The black around the cam is for photographic reasons.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 16 of 27

jkichline said:
    I doubt it's disinformation. I'd say it's more a case of the copper mockup being inaccurate; they couldn't even get the sides to match the back.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 17 of 27

2 things that would make me pass on this phone - no Touch ID and a white front which looks absolutely hideous. Also the chrome around the camera bump looks like something Samsung would have done a few years ago
    Samsung would do the chrome around the camera, if the phone were made of plastic. Apple wouldn't. I suspect this mockup is made of plastic, we'll see what Apple ships in the final steel and glass release with accurate colours. If Touch ID is indeed gone in iPhone 8 expect it to be for good reason. Remember when Apple put a camera in every iMac? People thought they were crazy. Me, I cover the camera on my MBA with some tape, but I'd expect the iPhone camera to be more locked down. I also use an iPhone SE so I don't give two shits really how iPhone 8 functions. I do know a few elderly people however who have trouble using Touch ID. Face ID wouldn't be a problem for any of them, though some people with opt for password use for privacy concerns. Youth will flock to Face ID blindly.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Copper Gold? What's next, Tin Silver? Copper would be a good classic look. Copper Gold? No thanks. I would still like to see a really nice Dark Blue. Then again so many people throw them into a plastic case anyway, does it matter?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Sounds like this could be a one year only color for the iPhone Edition.  The rectangular slab of either the iPhone 7S or the iPhone 8 are going to look substantially identical to the casual observer.  This will be a way to distinguish the purchaser of the latest high-priced device from all the other common iPhone users out there.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    ireland said:

2 things that would make me pass on this phone - no Touch ID and a white front which looks absolutely hideous. Also the chrome around the camera bump looks like something Samsung would have done a few years ago
    Samsung would do the chrome around the camera, if the phone were made of plastic. Apple wouldn't. I suspect this mockup is made of plastic, we'll see what Apple ships in the final steel and glass release with accurate colours. If Touch ID is indeed gone in iPhone 8 expect it to be for good reason. Remember when Apple put a camera in every iMac? People thought they were crazy. Me, I cover the camera on my MBA with some tape, but I'd expect the iPhone camera to be more locked down. I also use an iPhone SE so I don't give two shits really how iPhone 8 functions. I do know a few elderly people however who have trouble using Touch ID. Face ID wouldn't be a problem for any of them, though some people with opt for password use for privacy concerns. Youth will flock to Face ID blindly.
    you bring up a good point – I also know senior citizens who struggle with touch ID. They have a hard time distinguishing between actual button presses vs laying the finger for scanning, and especially the touches required to record the fingerprint. it’s painful to watch.