New video offers closer look at 'copper gold' mockup of Apple's 'iPhone 8'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    hshen said:
    The camera design and vertical layout is weird
    Because in the traditional horizontal lens configuration, the depth of the rear camera module would conflict with the rumored dual front facial recognition cameras which need separation to function in 3D.

Personally, I have never liked the placement of the camera in the corner. Fingers in the photo happens too often. Sure if you are careful you can avoid that but the lens placement of Samsung phones in the center of the back seems more practical to me. Of course I have never used an Android phone so it is just speculation on my part.
    edited August 2017 ireland
  • Reply 22 of 27
    iPhone 1970s edition. 
  • Reply 23 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:

2 things that would make me pass on this phone - no Touch ID and a white front which looks absolutely hideous. Also the chrome around the camera bump looks like something Samsung would have done a few years ago
    Samsung would do the chrome around the camera, if the phone were made of plastic. Apple wouldn't. I suspect this mockup is made of plastic, we'll see what Apple ships in the final steel and glass release with accurate colours. If Touch ID is indeed gone in iPhone 8 expect it to be for good reason. Remember when Apple put a camera in every iMac? People thought they were crazy. Me, I cover the camera on my MBA with some tape, but I'd expect the iPhone camera to be more locked down. I also use an iPhone SE so I don't give two shits really how iPhone 8 functions. I do know a few elderly people however who have trouble using Touch ID. Face ID wouldn't be a problem for any of them, though some people with opt for password use for privacy concerns. Youth will flock to Face ID blindly.
    you bring up a good point – I also know senior citizens who struggle with touch ID. They have a hard time distinguishing between actual button presses vs laying the finger for scanning, and especially the touches required to record the fingerprint. it’s painful to watch. 
    It's not their fault either. The implementation on Apple's part, not the tech, is poor. The Home button now has so many functions crammed into it people are confused by it, especially the elderly. This I'd imaging is the primary reason for Face ID being developed. Everyone can put their face inside a circle for their iPhone to automatically snap a pic for unlocking thereafter. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 24 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    tipoo said:
    I wish it was more...Copper? It looks very flat. 
    Yes. I wonder how many people would describe the colour as copper on first look and without having read any associated text description.

I actually think copper would be a nice colour addition but provided it was instantly recognisable as copper and didn't have a flat finish.

If the design is really going back to the glass sandwich (the iPhone 4 was my favourite iPhone design) then 'flat' seems boring.

The Honor 9 has tweaked the idea, if Apple did likewise but in its own style and with copper colouring I think it would look cool.

https://www.xda-developers.com/honor-9-design/

• Reply 25 of 27
    I like the color. I like the design. I like the design on the 7s too. No touch ID on the decade edition is a no go. $900 + is a no go. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Looks cheap. Like a penny.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 27
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Rayz2016 said:
    2 things that would make me pass on this phone - no Touch ID and a white front which looks absolutely hideous. Also the chrome around the camera bump looks like something Samsung would have done a few years ago. I hope these dummy phones are fake but I remember the iPhone 6 leaks that everyone thought were fake (because the antenna lines looked so awful) and they turned out to be true so these could be too. 
    The thing is, people bought the phone even with the antennae lines. 
    Lots of people buy lots of ugly things. That's not a good excuse. Apple should have done better. Those antenna lines were inexcusable, sorry.