Song meant to spoof car audio systems climbs into top 50 on Apple's iTunes charts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    robjn said:
    I have a third party app I use for music but I can't find a way to make it the default.
    Completely quit from any other apps which play audio.
    Start playing any song from you 3d party app (e.g. Spotify).
    Turn-off your car engine, pull the keys while still playing the music.
    Next time when you start the car, and if the app is still running in the background, the app will start playing it's song.

I have played from other apps as FileExplorer, Documents 5 etc. Same behaviour. Just let them play.
    Hm, and I don't have the standard Podcast app, just Overcast.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:

Basically anything connected to Apple Music is a needlessly user-hostile experience.
    Nonsense. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's streaming service, and everything to do with the car maker's media player sending instructions to the iPhone's iPod interface.

As usual, the auto makers have no idea what they're doing. They're probably just excited that they can get it to play music at all.
    FWIW Android Auto doesn't seem to do that. Why? No idea but it picks up where it left off if I tap Google Music. In addition  to that if I have the radio on it remains on until I tell it to do otherwise by tapping one of the Android Auto music providers. Android Auto also does not automatically start playing music when I plug it in via USB and music in my playlists stays in the order I set it up.  Based on all that I think you might be wrong blaming the Carplay/Apple Music operation entirely on the automaker. 
    This has nothing to do with on-phone systems like Android Auto or CarPlay. Repeat: this has nothing to do with CarPlay. 2016 Subarus don't even have CarPlay. This is about the manufacturer's in-dash system, and the internal programming it has that says "if an iPod-device is plugged into USB, then begin playing the very first track on it". Not every manufacturer is going to do this of course, but enough of them are so poorly coded that this AAA-titled song is here. 

Has absolutely nothing to do with CarPlay, Android, Apple Music, Google Music, Spotify, or anything.
    Not according to many of the commenters in this thread. But I now understand you were only posting with regards to how your Subaru and probably some other systems work so no prob. Other posters are mentioning Carplay, Apple Music, etc. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 23 of 60
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    ireland said:
    Shuffle needs to account for this; Apple needs to update iOS and perhaps iTunes.
    No update needed; this has worked for many years:

In iTunes, check the box labeled "skip when shuffling" in the Get Info box for the track. 
  • Reply 24 of 60
    WTF are some of you taking about?

this has NOTHING to do with CarPlay. CarPlay doesn’t have such issues. 

This is is an issue with DUMB systems that have ancient “iPod USB” behavior. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 60

Basically anything connected to Apple Music is a needlessly user-hostile experience.
    Nonsense. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's streaming service, and everything to do with the car maker's media player sending instructions to the iPhone's iPod interface.

As usual, the auto makers have no idea what they're doing. They're probably just excited that they can get it to play music at all.
    If you know how many user, including me, lost their own special tracks. Just because Apple Music requires all tracks transferred to the icloud and deleted the tracks from your own iDevices and give you some stock tracks which is nothing special. You will know why so much hate when it comes to Apple Music. E.g. Special addition of a song or a hard to find LP that took you forever to digitize.

dont get me wrong, I am an Apple Fanboy. I use as much Apple products as possible. But Apple Music really sucks big time.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I experienced this for the first time this summer  in Hawaii in a rental car. Every single time I charged my phone the sound system fired up started playing "A White Christmas" by Bing Crosby which apparently is on my iPhone. It was beyond annoying. 
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Abolish Government by Slayer.  Plays EVERY time I plug my iPhone into a vehicle.  I'm gonna buy this silent track as a stop gap until Apple fixes the issue. 
  • Reply 28 of 60
    WTF are some of you taking about?

this has NOTHING to do with CarPlay. CarPlay doesn’t have such issues. 

This is is an issue with DUMB systems that have ancient “iPod USB” behavior. 
    Agree!
    the very same thing happens to my BT headphones and my car. Which make me hate Norah Jones which I am her fans. But when every time you start with the same song, it drives me nuts. 
  • Reply 29 of 60
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    John Cage was on this back in 1952 with a composition called 4'33" -- contrary to myth, the recording is not completely silent (ambient room noises are barely audible), but worked the same way. It's available publicly, I believe, so you can use that instead (numbers should show up before letters in an alphabetical list).
  • Reply 30 of 60
    longfanglongfang Posts: 452member
    This is the very definition of 1st world problem. 
    spheric
  • Reply 31 of 60
    How is this an iPhone thing? It's the stereo that's causing the issue not the iPhone.
    StrangeDaysmike1
  • Reply 32 of 60
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Wrong! This is across the board regardless of car manufacturer or model of car. This isn’t a new issue either. It’s been happening ever since CarPlay was released. It doesn’t happen on any other service but CarPlay. Get a grip. This one is on Apple. As great as they are they are the ones to blame just this one time. 
  • Reply 33 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    longfang said:
    This is the very definition of 1st world problem. 
    A well-worn 1st world cliche 
  • Reply 34 of 60
    How is this an iPhone thing? It's the stereo that's causing the issue not the iPhone.
    Then why does it happen across different stereo and car maker brands?  The only constant is my iPhone. 
  • Reply 35 of 60
    So... When we are not listening to anything (silence!) Do we need to pay him royalties?  :)
  • Reply 36 of 60
    alphabetization is terrible!
  • Reply 37 of 60
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Not true,  I use Apple Music everyday. I connect via the center console USB in my vehicle and do not have this issue. I think it depends on the vehicle or aftermarket head unit being used. My gf uses an aftermarket head unit ( non CarPlay ) and has had this problem. My last, and current Infiniti vehicles connected via center console USB do not have this issue. 

I use Apple Music as well as iTunes Match. I keep Music locally on my phone because my local grocery store has terrible cellular reception and I like to listen to music while I shop.  I wasn't a fan of the Apple Music app at first I agree with that, but once you spend time with the app it works quite well. 
  • Reply 38 of 60
    The assumptions in this article are wrong. I use USB and I only use Apple Music and Spotify and yet I suffer from this problem and have done for years. Whether it's local or streaming has no bearing on this issue at all.

It defaults to playing my alphabetically first track from only Apple Music. So it fails to recognise the last used music player when I use Spotify more. It only happens at the beginning of the day. Some kind of car computer reset must occur after an extended period of time.

I think it's old car audio code that causes it. The manufacturers aren't going to fix it. So Apple kinda needs to help us out here.
    spheric
  • Reply 39 of 60
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I experience this too:
    I have a JVC unit as a replacement for my original Honda radio.   Except for this it works well.

I use its USB to charge the phone while listening to music.   And, whenever I plug it in it always tries to play "Abbey Road" collection and won't give it up -- it keeps trying to load and reload it even though it isn't there.   I learned that if I start a song or play list before I plug it into the USB I don't have this problem.

But, this article made me think:  I might try just charging it from the power outlet and playing Apple Music through Bluetooth -- which has the added advantage of letting Apple maps remember where I parked my car (which is a valuable tool for an old-fart!).
  • Reply 40 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

FWIW Android Auto doesn't seem to do that. Why? No idea but it picks up where it left off if I tap Google Music. In addition  to that if I have the radio on it remains on until I tell it to do otherwise by tapping one of the Android Auto music providers. Android Auto also does not automatically start playing music when I plug it in via USB and music in my playlists stays in the order I set it up.  Based on all that I think you might be wrong blaming the Carplay/Apple Music operation entirely on the automaker. 
    This has nothing to do with on-phone systems like Android Auto or CarPlay. Repeat: this has nothing to do with CarPlay. 2016 Subarus don't even have CarPlay. This is about the manufacturer's in-dash system, and the internal programming it has that says "if an iPod-device is plugged into USB, then begin playing the very first track on it". Not every manufacturer is going to do this of course, but enough of them are so poorly coded that this AAA-titled song is here. 

Has absolutely nothing to do with CarPlay, Android, Apple Music, Google Music, Spotify, or anything.
    Not according to many of the commenters in this thread. But I now understand you were only posting with regards to how your Subaru and probably some other systems work so no prob. Other posters are mentioning Carplay, Apple Music, etc. 
    Nope, I’m commenting on the behavior described in the article you’re commenting on. Perhaps you should read it. Here, I’ll help you:

Called "A a a a a Very Good Song," the 99-cent track -- released by Samir Mezrahi on Wednesday -- copes with the fact that many audio systems will simply play tracks in alphabetical order whenever an iPhone connects via USB. With a regular music library this can be annoying, since the same song will play automatically until a person can select their own playlist.

The issue is unlikely to affect people who who depend solely on streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music. 

This is about music on local storage in iphones, which when plugged into the vehicle via USB is identified as an iPod compatible device. The in-dash consoles made by the auto makers are coded to then begin playing the first song on the device. The article is partially inaccurate as AM is not a streaming service, it stores it’s music locally just like your own native tracks, so the dash systems using the ipod API don’t know the difference. 

That dimwitted implementation has nothing to do with Apple Music, as Spam tried claiming in the post I replied to. 

Clearly you dont know much about iphones or software. 
    edited August 2017