Song meant to spoof car audio systems climbs into top 50 on Apple's iTunes charts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    viclauyyc said:

Basically anything connected to Apple Music is a needlessly user-hostile experience.
    Nonsense. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's streaming service, and everything to do with the car maker's media player sending instructions to the iPhone's iPod interface.

As usual, the auto makers have no idea what they're doing. They're probably just excited that they can get it to play music at all.
    If you know how many user, including me, lost their own special tracks. Just because Apple Music requires all tracks transferred to the icloud and deleted the tracks from your own iDevices and give you some stock tracks which is nothing special. You will know why so much hate when it comes to Apple Music. E.g. Special addition of a song or a hard to find LP that took you forever to digitize.

dont get me wrong, I am an Apple Fanboy. I use as much Apple products as possible. But Apple Music really sucks big time.
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this article. 
  • Reply 42 of 60

Basically anything connected to Apple Music is a needlessly user-hostile experience.
    Nonsense. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's streaming service, and everything to do with the car maker's media player sending instructions to the iPhone's iPod interface.

As usual, the auto makers have no idea what they're doing. They're probably just excited that they can get it to play music at all.
    Wrong! This is across the board regardless of car manufacturer or model of car. This isn’t a new issue either. It’s been happening ever since CarPlay was released. It doesn’t happen on any other service but CarPlay. Get a grip. This one is on Apple. As great as they are they are the ones to blame just this one time. 
    Completely wrong. My car doesn’t have CarPlay and certainly does do it. You have a limited grasp on how the technology being discussed works. The car dash systems own the code that identifies the iphone as an iPod device via USB, and then calls the iPod player APIs to begin playback. These car dash systems are coded by the car maker, not Apple. 
    spheric
  • Reply 43 of 60

How is this an iPhone thing? It's the stereo that's causing the issue not the iPhone.
    Then why does it happen across different stereo and car maker brands?  The only constant is my iPhone. 
    Because most car makers suck at software! As has been complained about for a decade, and why systems like CarPlay and Android Auto were conceived of. 

The car car makers are using the standard iPod playback API, accessible to accessory makers everywhere.
  • Reply 44 of 60

Mcnaugha2 said:
    The assumptions in this article are wrong. I use USB and I only use Apple Music and Spotify and yet I suffer from this problem and have done for years. Whether it's local or streaming has no bearing on this issue at all.

It defaults to playing my alphabetically first track from only Apple Music. So it fails to recognise the last used music player when I use Spotify more. It only happens at the beginning of the day. Some kind of car computer reset must occur after an extended period of time.

I think it's old car audio code that causes it. The manufacturers aren't going to fix it. So Apple kinda needs to help us out here.
    Apple Music uses your local storage. Thus your in dash system is able to load your first alpha track via the iPod API. It doesn’t know whether it’s an old MP3 you had or an AM download. 
  • Reply 45 of 60
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Mazda's infotainment connect whatever-the-hell it's called in-dash system does one better: it refuses to be silent when you start the car/power. It will reconnect whatever device was last used and continue the existing playlist or start RANDOM play mode (defeating this workaround of a silent track). If the last-used device isn't present, it turns on the radio! Rather than just be SILENT, it will go to the RADIO. I HATE radio!

why the hell can't I just have silence when i start the car????
  • Reply 46 of 60
    My car doesn't have CarPlay, but it does have an USB/Bluetooth capable radio. Despite the usual problems when the BT connection drops out of the blue, I have never experienced this kind of problem.

The last thing I was hearing is what will start next time I get in the car. Be it a music or podcast.

One would expect that CarPlay should work better than this, though...
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Engine turns over and begin hearing Korg drum machine at beginning of A-Ha - Take on Me, begin fighting electronics ...yep, dystopia.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Wrong! This is across the board regardless of car manufacturer or model of car. This isn’t a new issue either. It’s been happening ever since CarPlay was released. It doesn’t happen on any other service but CarPlay. Get a grip. This one is on Apple. As great as they are they are the ones to blame just this one time. 
    Completely wrong. My car doesn’t have CarPlay and certainly does do it. You have a limited grasp on how the technology being discussed works. The car dash systems own the code that identifies the iphone as an iPod device via USB, and then calls the iPod player APIs to begin playback. These car dash systems are coded by the car maker, not Apple. 
    Hey, everyone gets that it happens with your car and you don't have Carplay. How are you so certain it doesn't happen with Carplay too as others are mentioning if you yourself don't have it to try with? I'm not claiming you are wrong, but curious how you are so convinced you are not and it's all the others complaining about something (you don't have) that are.  
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 49 of 60
    This glitch is driving me crazy.  I use Apple Music and the first song in my library is not downloaded yet it streams it all the time.  It used to be ADHD by Kendrick Lamar and now it's lady Gaga A-Yo since I added that to my library.  I use Bluetooth or USB on a Land Rover and Toyota.  Every time I start the car it plays, lose cell service for a minute and it plays once I get cell service again, go over a bump and it plays.  How can someone not fix this.  
  • Reply 50 of 60
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Completely wrong yourself. This issue ONLY happens when I have the CarPlay connected and running. If I disconnect it and restart my car just using the USB plugin, it’ll play whatever I had playing last time. 

Its when I have CarPlay ready to go does it play the first song. Which just so happens to be a five minute silent song I made a long time ago after reading about this issue when I first bought my car. I spent hours researching and pretty much everyone has this issue only with CarPlay. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 51 of 60
    I have had various iPhones over the last 6years that have connected to my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer via Bluetooth and I have NEVER encountered this problem.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 52 of 60
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Engine turns over and begin hearing Korg drum machine at beginning of A-Ha - Take on Me, begin fighting electronics ...yep, dystopia.
    That's a LinnDrum, not a Korg. Cymbals are overdubbed real ones.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    lee493lee493 Posts: 22member
    So, will there be a plagiarism lawsuit from John Cage's estate?
  • Reply 54 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lee493 said:
    So, will there be a plagiarism lawsuit from John Cage's estate?
    Ah, but what if the intent of the song differs from 4’33”? Cage wanted people to bring their own interpretations to it, but what if these guys explicitly want people to NOT bring their own interpretation to A a a a a Very Good Song?  ;)
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Duplicate post
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 56 of 60

How is this an iPhone thing? It's the stereo that's causing the issue not the iPhone.
    Then why does it happen across different stereo and car maker brands?  The only constant is my iPhone. 
    Because most car makers suck at software! As has been complained about for a decade, and why systems like CarPlay and Android Auto were conceived of. 

The car car makers are using the standard iPod playback API, accessible to accessory makers everywhere.
    Ranting about "most carmakers" doesn't solve the problem.  The single entity that has the power to do this Apple.  Hopefully they will improve the user experience and this will "just work". 
  • Reply 57 of 60
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Goes to show people are tired of paying for music.

Modern man is willing to pay for a little silence.

Just imagine going out to eat and actually hearing the person talking across the table from you.  Imagine getting into an elevator and hearing nothing but the motor is rolling, a sign that you're actually getting to your final destination.   Imagine going out shopping and finally being able to hear the voice in your head about what not to buy. Imagine going to the dentist office and being able to read that magazine without distraction.  Imagine John Lennon no longer complaining about your religion. 

Goodbye Music industry.
    Hello Silence industry.

It's a brave new world. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 58 of 60
    This is all I can think of when I read this story.  And every time "Abacab" by Genesis plays when I connect my iPhone to my car's audio system!

For $10,000 Who Is The Composer Of SWANEE RIVER? Uh?... Uh?...Ed Norton?

• Reply 59 of 60
    I don't think this is related to people using USB connections - it's just ANY iPhone connection - in all of my cars, the USB option will always resume from the last played song, even if the device (iphone, ipod, usb memory stick etc.) is removed and plugged back in days later. IF I connect my iPhone via bluetooth and play Spotify for instance, when I return to the same car after a long time and it connects via bluetooth automatically - it will begin auto-playing the few songs stored ON the phone which I don't want playing, I want spotify playing.

I've found its not just related to car connections; if I connect to a bluetooth speaker, my phone will try to start playing the handful of songs in my iTunes account, even if I am IN the spotify app but not yet chosen a song to play. Definitely an iOS specific behaviour to blame imho.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    adm1 said:
    I don't think this is related to people using USB connections - it's just ANY iPhone connection - in all of my cars, the USB option will always resume from the last played song, even if the device (iphone, ipod, usb memory stick etc.) is removed and plugged back in days later. IF I connect my iPhone via bluetooth and play Spotify for instance, when I return to the same car after a long time and it connects via bluetooth automatically - it will begin auto-playing the few songs stored ON the phone which I don't want playing, I want spotify playing.

I've found its not just related to car connections; if I connect to a bluetooth speaker, my phone will try to start playing the handful of songs in my iTunes account, even if I am IN the spotify app but not yet chosen a song to play. Definitely an iOS specific behaviour to blame imho.
    Agree.... same thing happens to me.  USB, Bluetooth, etc.  Always plays the current song, or if the app had been quit it plays the first somg alphabetically.

It would be nice if Apple fixed this (yes I have left feedback). 

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html