Pair of videos purport to show 'iPhone 8' rear enclosure on Foxconn production lines

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Two videos published on Chinese social media depict workers polishing the enclosure of what appears to be the "iPhone 8," as well as a a rack to allow air circulation around the parts without human contact, or stacking.

The videos were spotted on Benjamin Geskin's Twitter feed. The authenticity of the production line cannot be determined -- there are no clear Foxconn logos on the uniforms, or any other distinguishing markings known to be the iPhone manufacturer's livery.

Foxconn Plant Videos Shows Alleged #iPhone8 Rear Shells (1)

(via https://t.co/HQGvdy3hy4) pic.twitter.com/oRKJhKlgaK

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)
The videos show devices prior to application of the Apple logo, and other details on the back of the phone. At present, other than knockoff devices, there are no smartphones with a dual-lens vertical opening shipping, but that does not preclude what's being shown in the videos from being a future product from another vendor, or as mentioned, a faked enclosure.

The videos appear to have been first posted on Weibo -- but by different users.

Foxconn Plant Videos Shows Alleged #iPhone8 Rear Shells (2)

(via https://t.co/oihosp0i78) pic.twitter.com/zUUBfuUXVb

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)
The "iPhone 8" is predicted to have edge-to-edge OLED display with 5.15 inches of user space and a higher resolution than the iPhone 7 Plus at 2,436 by 1,125 pixels. Facial recognition technology rumored to be in the device may replace Touch ID -- but the rumor mill has conflicting information on that.

Predictions have ranged between Apple could charge a starting price of around $1000 and as much as $1200 for the starting cost of the iPhone 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I have mixed feelings about seeing this. It's one thing to have rumours. It's another to see actual evidence of individuals spitting in the face of their employer. The person who captured this does not deserve his or her job and should be released immediately.
    MetriacanthosaurusSpamSandwichlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 22
    No cutout on the back for touch ID
    stanthemandoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If this is Foxconn I would think that they would have security cameras could be used to identify the videographer. 
    SpamSandwichdoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Damn -- this would be a CIA-level elaborate hoax, but I'm amazed someone was able to take such a blatant video
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It could be approved by Apple to give slight glimpse of iphone 8 on assembly line(for september launch) to shut-off delaying rumors.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    come on, obviously produced in someone's basement...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    could this be the 7S? what distinguishes this as the 8 model from the video?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    NY1822 said:
    The vertical double camera. 
    Metriacanthosaurusdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 22
    So the elephant in the room -- that doesn't look like glass to me?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have mixed feelings about seeing this. It's one thing to have rumours. It's another to see actual evidence of individuals spitting in the face of their employer. The person who captured this does not deserve his or her job and should be released immediately.
    Apparently there is money to be made in Apple corporate espionage. That ‘employee’ wouldn’t take the chance unless there was a financial reward involved. We don’t know how much websites like AI, MacRumors, 9TO5Mac, et al, would be willing to pay for photos. After all the guy who ‘found’ the iPhone 4 got $5000.00, right? Then there are the bozos who fake this stuff just for fun. Maybe they also get some payout for their efforts. Boils down to us clamoring for information. “Never give a sucker an even break” someone once said.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    Apparently there is money to be made in Apple corporate espionage. That ‘employee’ wouldn’t take the chance unless there was a financial reward involved. We don’t know how much websites like AI, MacRumors, 9TO5Mac, et al, would be willing to pay for photos. After all the guy who ‘found’ the iPhone 4 got $5000.00, right? Then there are the bozos who fake this stuff just for fun. Maybe they also get some payout for their efforts. Boils down to us clamoring for information. “Never give a sucker an even break” someone once said.
    We don't pay a dime.
    doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    wood1208 said:
    It could be approved by Apple to give slight glimpse of iphone 8 on assembly line(for september launch) to shut-off delaying rumors.

Uh, what? There is ZERO chance of a video like this being "approved" by Apple. Factory assembly line footage is never good PR, not to mention that Apple would much prefer to reveal its new phones on its own terms, not with shitty, unflattering video such as this. And even if there's rumors of delay, who gives a shit? Certainly not Apple, who can definitely survive another month of rumors if it is indeed launching on time. 
    radarthekatStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 13 of 22
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    So much for "doubling-down" on security Timmy. 
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jd_in_sb said:
    NY1822 said:
    The vertical double camera. 
    I have seen rumors that iPhone 7S will have double "vertical" camera lenses, too. The lenses should be aligned along the same axis as the eyes that view the photograph. The "horizontal" lens design of iPhone 7+ implied/assumed that users take photos in portrait mode. Perhaps the 2017 assumption is that advanced users mainly shoot in landscape mode. Clearly, three lenses are needed next year, in the iPhone Pro S.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Ugh, will you stop throwing around that buzz word like it's a knife to Tim's throat. I'm sure Apple has increased their security double-fold in recent years but that doesn't mean it's full proof...geez get ahold of yourself. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 16 of 22
    So the elephant in the room -- that doesn't look like glass to me?
    I think you're right. The raised flange around the camera bump would suggest anything but glass. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    wood1208 said:
    How would that benefit Apple more than simply announcing both products on launch day? What is quantifiably gained?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Dumb comment. The Asian supply chain producing millions and millions of devices for launch day is impossible to regulate 100%. Leaks are inevitable, but despite this it doesn’t mean Apple isn’t also trying to make them harder, especially at corporate where they do have the most control. 

Your comment is like saying “So much for global warming!” on a snowy day. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 22
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Ugh, will you stop throwing around that buzz word like it's a knife to Tim's throat. I'm sure Apple has increased their security double-fold in recent years but that doesn't mean it's full proof...geez get ahold of yourself. 
    Are you sure? Because it doesn't look like it. Getting actual footage from inside a "high-security" factory and being able to walk out with is not acceptable.
    Security has been clearly getting worse every year.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Safari seems snappier :)