Swift creator Chris Lattner moving to Google Brain's artificial intelligence effort

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
After a six-month stint at Tesla, one-time Apple engineer and Swift champion Chris Lattner has landed at the Google Brain artificial intelligence project.

Lattner announced in a Tweet that he was starting at Google Brain around August 21.

Given the relatively open-source nature of Swift, Lattner can continue to contribute to the language, to some extent even after his departure from Apple.

Lattner studied computer science at the University of Portland, Ore. After being one of the co-authors of LLVM, Lattner was hired by Apple in 2005, and was instrumental in the advancement of Xcode, Apple's OpenGL implementation, and every aspect of Apple's Swift rollout and continued development.

Tesla hired Lattner to serve as the company's Vice President of Autopilot Software. The match only lasted about six months, with Lattner ultimately stating that the position wasn't a good fit for him.

At the time of Lattner's departure, Apple coder Ted Kremenek was selected to lead the Swift development team. Given the relatively open-source nature of Swift, Lattner can continue to contribute to the language, to some extent even after his departure from Apple.

Google Brain is Alphabet's division focusing on machine learning and artificial intelligence. It is more about practical application of the technology across Google's entire product line, and stated goals for the group are to advance the discipline widely beyond the company's halls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Oh Great, now he's working for Google. Crap. I hated to see him leave Apple, but moving to Tesla seemed harmless enough. Now he's working for the enemy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    greg uvan said:
    Oh Great, now he's working for Google. Crap. I hated to see him leave Apple, but moving to Tesla seemed harmless enough. Now he's working for the enemy.
    You see an enemy. The people that work for these companies see the other companies as opportunities to expand. 
    Soligatorguysingularity[Deleted User]lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    greg uvan said:
    You see an enemy. The people that work for these companies see the other companies as opportunities to expand. 
    Nor is there any evidence that I'm aware of that Tim Cook's Apple considers Google an enemy. That's something a very loud but probably relatively small number of Apple users promotes. In the meantime Cook and Pichai might enjoy more lunches together. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Nor is there any evidence that I'm aware of that Tim Cook's Apple considers Google an enemy. That's something a very loud but probably relatively small number of Apple users promotes. In the meantime Cook and Pichai might enjoy more lunches together. 
    You're right.  After all Gates ripped off Mac OS and Schmidt ripped off iOS so Tim and the rest of Apple have to have thick skins these days so lunch sounds fine.  Besides, 'keep your enemies closer' as they say.
    StrangeDayspatchythepiratecornchipfotoformatbadmonklolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Make no mistake, Google is a fierce competitor to Apple although Chris Lattner going to Google is harmless.  If Google could kill the iPhone they would do it in a second and avoid having to pay $3 Billion a year to Apple for default search setting on iPhones.  Apple has become very smart in how they announce new products and avoid giving too much info to the competitors too early.

Apple competes with Google on every aspect of the iPhone, iPad, CarPlay, Mapping, HomePod, Autonomous systems, iTunes, Apple Music, AppleTV, AppleWatch, Messaging, SIRI, Translation, Machine Learning and many more services.
    patchythepiratecornchipanantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Make no mistake, Google is a fierce competitor to Apple although Chris Lattner going to Google is harmless.  If Google could kill the iPhone they would do it in a second and avoid having to pay $3 Billion a year to Apple for default search setting on iPhones.  Apple has become very smart in how they announce new products and avoid giving too much info to the competitors too early.

Apple competes with Google on every aspect of the iPhone, iPad, CarPlay, Mapping, HomePod, Autonomous systems, iTunes, Apple Music, AppleTV, AppleWatch, Messaging, SIRI, Translation, Machine Learning and many more services.
    Why would they want to do that? Google makes $Billions from Apple's ecosystem. The more successful Apple is so is Google. IMHO the idea that Google would like to destroy Apple is a made-up storyline to support a circle-the-wagons mentality like this is the Apple of the 80's-90's. Apple is in no danger from Google, nor does Google intend any. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 7 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:

Why would they want to do that? Google makes $Billions from Apple's ecosystem. The more successful Apple is so is Google. IMHO the idea that Google would like to destroy Apple is a made-up storyline to support a circle-the-wagons mentality like this is the Apple of the 80's-90's. Apple is in no danger from Google, nor does Google intend any
    Yes.. I, for one, welcome our benevolent data overlords. 

As for Google never intending harm on its competitors, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. Here a Google exec explains why they made Android:

http://www.businessinsider.com/vic-gundotra-2014-4

In 2010, Gundotra made a name for himself when he attacked Apple at Google's I/O developer conference. He stood on stage explaining why Android, an open operating system for handset makers, was better than Apple's closed iPhone model. 

"If Google did not act, we faced a draconian future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice," said Gundotra to thunderous applause. He paused for a moment, then said, "That's not a future we want." 

edited August 2017 patchythepiratecornchipanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:

Why would they want to do that? Google makes $Billions from Apple's ecosystem. The more successful Apple is so is Google. IMHO the idea that Google would like to destroy Apple is a made-up storyline to support a circle-the-wagons mentality like this is the Apple of the 80's-90's. Apple is in no danger from Google, nor does Google intend any

As for Google never intending harm on its competitors, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. Here a Google exec explains why they made Android:

In 2010, Gundotra made a name for himself when he attacked Apple at Google's I/O developer conference. He stood on stage explaining why Android, an open operating system for handset makers, was better than Apple's closed iPhone model. 

"If Google did not act, we faced a draconian future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice," said Gundotra to thunderous applause. He paused for a moment, then said, "That's not a future we want." 

Oooohhhh.... The only statement anyone can ever dredge up in the entire history of Google that could possibly be considered an uncomplimentary comment pertaining to Apple. Yeah that one comment from 7 years ago was certainly threatening Apple with destruction eh? 

/s
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 25
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

... The future we want has Google as that one company.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Wouldn't it be good for Apple Hardware sales if various Goolge projects started adopting Swift as a base language?
    Even as a Java replacement in Android development making the Mac the mobile app development platform of choice.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    More failings for diversity at google, where there's no doubt some gender studies graduate from Dartmouth who could do the job just as well.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mattinoz said:
    Wouldn't it be good for Apple Hardware sales if various Goolge projects started adopting Swift as a base language?
    Even as a Java replacement in Android development making the Mac the mobile app development platform of choice.
    Its going to be very hard to shift Java developers to Swift, as usual this is chicken and egg. APple could push the change on iOS. Still LAttner might have a chance to use it in Google.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:

Oooohhhh.... The only statement anyone can ever dredge up in the entire history of Google that could possibly be considered an uncomplimentary comment pertaining to Apple. Yeah that one comment from 7 years ago was certainly threatening Apple with destruction eh? 

/s
    You can mock me all you want, but that’s from the horse’s mouth —a senior executive for the project and company you seem to hold so very dear. I’m sorry if their public statements don’t jive with your personal narrative, but thems the facts. I certainly don’t believe Vic just made that combative sentiment up on his own on stage, which is what you’re suggesting. 

I bet you also don’t believe MS wanted to kill iphone because they only had that one mock funeral in the parking lot, right?
    edited August 2017 macxpressanantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:

/s
    You can mock me all you want, but that’s from the horse’s mouth —a senior executive for the project and company you seem to hold so very dear. I’m sorry if their public statements don’t jive with your personal narrative, but thems the facts. I certainly don’t believe Vic just made that combative sentiment up on his own on stage, which is what you’re suggesting. 

I bet you also don’t believe MS wanted to kill iphone because they only had that one mock funeral in the parking lot, right?
    No I don't think Gundotra made it up on stage. What I do think is it was his response to Steve Job's reported vow from earlier in that year to destroy Android and Google along with it. Seems to me it was Jobs that wanted war and destruction, not Google. That was just who Jobs was tho, no biggie. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 25
    gatorguy said:

Yeah that one comment from 7 years ago was certainly threatening Apple with destruction eh? 

/s
    Um... what? What was the optimal time to make that comment, if not 7 years ago? Why?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gatorguy said:

Yeah that one comment from 7 years ago was certainly threatening Apple with destruction eh? 

/s
    Um... what? What was the optimal time to make that comment, if not 7 years ago? Why?
    I explained what I think prompted the comment in my post immediately preceding yours. 2010 was a particularly tumultuous year in smartphones. Jobs being edgy made everyone edgy. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

/s
    I explained what I think prompted the comment in my post immediately preceding yours. 2010 was a particularly tumultuous year in smartphones. Jobs being edgy made everyone edgy. 
    Again... Um... What?!

You post makes no sense.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

/s
    Ah ok, so you’re changing your narrative from “Google never wanted to take out its competitors!” to “Steve Jobs made everybody wanted to take out their competitors!”

Sorry but you’re being ridiculous, or are incredibly naive about what actually goes on at the senior levels of strategic planning. Of course they wanted to beat their competitors. That’s part of the game, and it’s silly to pretend otherwise or that Google just wanted peace, love, and understanding. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

/s
    Ah ok, so you’re changing your narrative from “Google never wanted to take out its competitors!” to “Steve Jobs made everybody wanted to take out their competitors!”

Sorry but you’re being ridiculous, or are incredibly naive about what actually goes on at the senior levels of strategic planning. Of course they wanted to beat their competitors. That’s part of the game, and it’s silly to pretend otherwise or that Google just wanted peace, love, and understanding. 
    Nope, I'm not changing my opinion one iota. Striving to do better than your competitors is a far cry from seeking their total destruction by whatever means necessary. Only one of the two company's CEO's made that threat. The other company (via a VP) expressed their desire and intention to compete despite those threats from "One (very powerful) man" at "one company". 

I expect this is the moment you go silent, now realizing the context in which the comment from a Google VP was made.
    edited August 2017 avon b7
  • Reply 20 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

/s
    Again... Um... What?!

You post makes no sense.
    Well I certainly can't help you. I've no idea exactly what it is you are searching for, and question whether you yourself do. I don't have your answer. 
    edited August 2017