Report corroborates fall Apple Watch refresh with LTE connectivity, same design

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2020
Citing new sources, another venue has jumped into the fray with new Apple Watch rumors, suggesting that LTE connectivity is coming in September to Apple's wearable line.

Citing "a source with knowledge of the matter," CNBC also claims that a new Apple Watch with LTE is coming in the fall, alongside the "iPhone 8." The LTE connectivity will allow users to not remain within range of an iPhone for nearly all functions and permit things like making phone calls straight from the watch, plus music streaming to the device over wireless.

The new source confirms earlier reports claiming that Intel would provide the modem for the next Apple Watch. Allegedly, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are already on board with plans to sell the device, with partnerships still being pursued in Europe.

Apple Watch that can make calls? It's a game changer: Jim Cramer from CNBC.

Analysts for CNBC are predicting that a "souped up" Apple Watch could help it reclaim the top spot in the wearables market, and catch up to Fitbit and Xiaomi.

After initial reports circulated about a radical redesign, the next-generation Apple Watch isn't expected to look much different than the previous one, and should contain enhanced health tracking beyond the LTE radio.

The new LTE model is not expected to provide 3G communications and will only support LTE in "specific" countries and markets. The LTE addition may bring as many as 8 to 9 million new sales to the Apple Watch.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman isn't completely convinced that the LTE Apple Watch will ship in the fall -- at the tail-end of his report he noted that the wearable could easily be launched or ship in 2018. Previous rumors from Bloomberg and other venues suggested that Apple would release a cellular connected wearable in 2016 during the last refresh -- but that turned out to be not the case.
sgurnani

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I chuckle when I read posts demanding that LTE access on the new watches be free and part of one’s carrier plan. Not going to happen people. You are going to PAY for your watch to work, plain and simple. Carriers will jump on this as another way to make money and rightly so. It’s just a matter of how much you will pay.
    albegarcfotoformatRacerhomieXSolijbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 55
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Because of power/battery limitations, I suspect that this will not be a cutting of the cord between the Apple Watch and iPhone.   Rather, it will kick in when the paired iPhone is no longer connected.  But otherwise the AW will continue to rely on the higher powered iPhone for many services.

But, many runners and other exercisers do not want to carry a phone with them while exercising.  But, it's not particularly safe to run without a way of calling for help if you need it.   It's why most runners carry their phones.   Well, that and having Apple Music streaming.  

I think this will be a nice enhancement -- but not a game changer where the Apple Watch replaces the iPhone.
    albegarcjbdragonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 55
    The reality is that most people have their watch and their iPhone on their person at most times during the day. So a lot of people won't need or want LTE. 

Unless Apple is thinking of drawing in Andorid and Microsoft users -- which would be brilliant -- I have to believe that the Watch will have some type of plan that is subsidiary and connected to the existing phone plan. For example, my new car offers something similar, a "wifi connectivity" plan for $10 per month added to my existing ATT contract. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 55
    "a "wifi connectivity" plan for $10 per month added to my existing ATT contract. " That's basically how they do it now. iPads can be LTE capable... but only for Cellular Data...not Cellular Voice. The same will be for Apple's LTE Watch, and Mobile carriers will simply tack on another $10.00 or so per month to the bill of someone's existing Voice Plan to use it.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 5 of 55
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    I assume there will be some charge, but it should be minimal since the actual data usage will be low vs a tablet or phone (you aren't going to stream video to your watch).  Something along the lines of $2 to $5/month.  And it really needs to somehow work so you can be reached with the same phone number your phone uses.  But this feature would allow you to do things like run, go to the beach, go to the pool, etc, without bringing your phone (or wallet), yet still be accessible (and be able to buy stuff with Apple Pay)
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 55
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    alandail said:
    I assume there will be some charge, but it should be minimal since the actual data usage will be low vs a tablet or phone (you aren't going to stream video to your watch).  Something along the lines of $2 to $5/month.  And it really needs to somehow work so you can be reached with the same phone number your phone uses.  But this feature would allow you to do things like run, go to the beach, go to the pool, etc, without bringing your phone (or wallet), yet still be accessible (and be able to buy stuff with Apple Pay)
    Apple Pay on Apple Watch already works fine without an iPhone in range. It just uses NFC and accesses the CC info via secure enclave.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    But, many runners and other exercisers do not want to carry a phone with them while exercising.  But, it's not particularly safe to run without a way of calling for help if you need it.   It's why most runners carry their phones.   
    I had several runners argue with me about this, claiming it was unsafe to run with their iPhones because it makes them a robbery target. Srsly.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Conventional rumor wisdom is this AW announcement will be made at the iPhone launch in September, only a few weeks away now. When should we start seeing the invites to the launch event?

anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 55
    I could really care less about LTE, especially if they add an extra monthly cost for it to add it to my plan. I really care most about a new form factor. The current watch is ugly, and I HATE the digital crown and the rounded glass front. The Watch 2 was a disappointment, I didn't upgrade. I really hope that in the 3rd year of this device that they have a lot more to show than just LTE. It's a device with so much potential but terrible implementation. 
  • Reply 10 of 55
    coolerkid said:
    I could really care less about LTE, especially if they add an extra monthly cost for it to add it to my plan. I really care most about a new form factor. The current watch is ugly, and I HATE the digital crown and the rounded glass front. The Watch 2 was a disappointment, I didn't upgrade. I really hope that in the 3rd year of this device that they have a lot more to show than just LTE. It's a device with so much potential but terrible implementation. 
    Looks like you won't be getting one, then. I am sure Apple will pull through somehow.

Good luck finding the perfect alternative.
    fastasleepStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 55
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    I hope Apple will find a way, for the Watch to be cheapest phone Apple has ever made. It will be amazing, using Siri to complete most calling & texting tasks. 2018 will be Amazing. I personally am waiting to ARKit apps in September. I might get an iPhone SE ,just to experience AR apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 55
    coolerkid said:
    Looks like you won't be getting one, then. I am sure Apple will pull through somehow.

No, he'll be getting the Series 3 model that doesn't come with LTE, or if it is all one model without a premium, getting it but no activating the cellular. Just like I will.

A Very Small segment of the market has any use for LTE on Apple Watch. The product is an iPhone accessory and 100% of current owners use it that way.

LTE is basically for runners. They are the only legitimate use case where it is desirable to stay connected with Apple Watch but leave iPhone behind.

Just like Series 2 was basically for swimmers, and nothing else.

But Series 3 will be about more than LTE, for sure. There will be an S3 chip that likely brings Apple Watch performance up to where it should be (Series 0 is just too slow). And hopefully a revised taptic engine that is far more noticeable.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    coolerkid said:

The sad state of Smartwatches is that Apple Watch will still the best, even if they don't update it for years. Don't get me wrong, I love my Apple Watch, but hate the UI, the hardware design, the digital crown, and the performance. I'm a developer and am considering removing my Watch app, as many other developers have done, because it's impossible to make it work properly. Even though all the technology is there to make it possible, their implementation of Watch OS is awful and holding app developers back. The battery life and lack of LTE is not a concern to me at all, but seem to be what gets talked about the most. Apple can do better, they're playing it safe. 
  • Reply 14 of 55
    coolerkid said:
    coolerkid said:

The sad state of Smartwatches is that Apple Watch will still the best, even if they don't update it for years. Don't get me wrong, I love my Apple Watch, but hate the UI, the hardware design, the digital crown, and the performance. I'm a developer and am considering removing my Watch app, as many other developers have done, because it's impossible to make it work properly. Even though all the technology is there to make it possible, their implementation of Watch OS is awful and holding app developers back. The battery life and lack of LTE is not a concern to me at all, but seem to be what gets talked about the most. Apple can do better, they're playing it safe. 
    Instead of the whining, let's hear your suggestions for:
    - UI
    - Hardware design
    - Crown
    - Performance
    - What can make apps work better
    - What types of technology there are to make it possible (constraining it to at least a 24 hour battery life).
    brucemcGeorgeBMacjbdragonlolliver
  • Reply 15 of 55
    coolerkid said:
    I could really care less about LTE, . 
    This of course means you care a lot, because you could care less. 
    coolerkid said:
    especially if they add an extra monthly cost for it to add it to my plan. 
    There is no indication this will be the case, but I'll grant you the "if."

coolerkid said: I really care most about a new form factor. The current watch is ugly, and I HATE the digital crown and the rounded glass front. 
    I like all these things. 

coolerkid said:
    The Watch 2 was a disappointment, I didn't upgrade. 
    I know a few swimmers that were thrilled, and were specifically holding out for the features on AW2. They upgraded.

coolerkid said:
    . I really hope that in the 3rd year of this device that they have a lot more to show than just LTE.  
    Oh, they will. Billions in profit. 

coolerkid said:
    . It's a device with so much potential but terrible implementation. 
    Yeah, it sucks. Just look at how little its market share is. 

I love mine. I think it was a great value, and use it throught every day. I didn't think I'd care about the fitness functions, but it grew on me. I am clearly more active because of it.

I have no issues with people simply saying a product isn't for them. (I won't buying a HomePod because I don't need a device like that. It is cool, and many will love it. It is just not for me.) But this is clearly case where your criticism is misplaced. It's not about Apple Watch: it's about you. And that is fine. 
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 55
    LTE is basically for runners. They are the only legitimate use case where it is desirable to stay connected with Apple Watch but leave iPhone behind.

Respectfully disagree. I think more than just runners will appreciate a wrist based emergency device. Especially if the activation includes transmitting GPS coordinates.
    GeorgeBMacThe_Martini_Cat
  • Reply 17 of 55
    eightzero said:
    coolerkid said:
    Sorry to be pedantic, but this one has been beaten to death multiple times in these threads.

Both "could care less" and "couldn't care less" are perfectly valid usages. (The former is loosely similar to a 'sarcastic inversion.')

:-)
  • Reply 18 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The reality is that most people have their watch and their iPhone on their person at most times during the day. So a lot of people won't need or want LTE. 

Unless Apple is thinking of drawing in Andorid and Microsoft users -- which would be brilliant -- I have to believe that the Watch will have some type of plan that is subsidiary and connected to the existing phone plan. For example, my new car offers something similar, a "wifi connectivity" plan for $10 per month added to my existing ATT contract. 
    I agree with all you say.  Makes total sense.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

eightzero said:
    coolerkid said:
    Sorry to be pedantic, but this one has been beaten to death multiple times in these threads.

Both "could care less" and "couldn't care less" are perfectly valid usages. (The former is loosely similar to a 'sarcastic inversion.')

:-)
    I disagree because being English I could care less about meanings and incorrect use of English.  See what I did there?  ;)
    lolliver
  • Reply 20 of 55
    I think the only way I want LTE on my watch is if I can suspend or push my phone notifications to my watch to then leave the phone behind and go on a run, hike, to the beach, or maybe a sporting event. I could see that adding a fee on my bill, but I don't want a separate number or anything, that would be useless. As stated above, the DATA part will be next to nothing (compared to phone consumption). The "next" thing the watch will be missing is a camera to take pictures for when I leave my phone behind, but I am sure that will come some day.
    GeorgeBMac