Watch: How to use Apple's native Screen Recording feature in iOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
One potentially useful feature coming to this fall's iOS 11 is a native Screen Recording option on the iPhone and iPad. Here's how to make use of it, including embedding results into a video.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Will it work for the iPod Touch Roger?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    macseeker said:
    Will it work for the iPod Touch Roger?
    It should, in theory, as long as it's a sixth-generation Touch.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    qaguyqaguy Posts: 4member
    Will this record the user actions like "tap", "swipe", "pinch" etc.? Just yesterday I recorded an iOS session to show the developer an issue with a beta of an app I'm testing so I had to research this. It seems that user actions can currently only be added either by defining your own accessibilty gestures (very clumsy) or have to be added in a post-production step with an application like ScreenFlow on the Mac.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Really disappointed by not having AUDIO recording with the screen recording. Users are having a hard time capturing issues without verbally explaining things.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Still waiting for an easy to use, natively stored phone call recording capability.  Would be tremendously satisfying when documenting crappy customer service calls.  
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Still waiting for an easy to use, natively stored phone call recording capability.  Would be tremendously satisfying when documenting crappy customer service calls.  
    And also quite illegal in Europe.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    spheric said:
    So?  I'm not in Europe.  I couldn't care less about their law.

And why do they have a law that makes it illegal to document crappy customer service calls?
    edited August 2017 anton zuykov
  • Reply 8 of 15
    ylon said:
    Really disappointed by not having AUDIO recording with the screen recording. Users are having a hard time capturing issues without verbally explaining things.
    You mean recording the audio that is currently playing internally? You mentioned verbally explaining things, but this feature does in fact record the microphone. Either you didn't watch the video, or I'm misunderstanding you. 
  • Reply 9 of 15
    spheric said:

And why do they have a law that makes it illegal to document crappy customer service calls?
    Actually, I was being slightly misleading: privacy laws make it illegal to record phone calls without express permission of the other party. 

I'm not entirely sure whether including the functionality as part of the operating system would land Apple in legally troublesome territory, but I suspect they'd have a problem. 

Also, the fact that you don't care about laws outside of where you live really doesn't interest Apple one bag of beans.
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 15
    spheric said:
    spheric said:

Actually, I was being slightly misleading: privacy laws make it illegal to record phone calls without express permission of the other party. 

I'm not entirely sure whether including the functionality as part of the operating system would land Apple in legally troublesome territory, but I suspect they'd have a problem. 

Also, the fact that you don't care about laws outside of where you live really doesn't interest Apple one bag of beans.
    39 states allow it without even notifying the other party. 

Corporations record our conversations all the time...to protect their butts.  Since we don't have an easy way of doing the same, company reps often treat customers like crap because they know they can get away with it. 

Why are you so against giving us people the same tool? 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    spheric said:
    spheric said:

39 states allow it without even notifying the other party. 

Corporations record our conversations all the time...to protect their butts.  Since we don't have an easy way of doing the same, company reps often treat customers like crap because they know they can get away with it. 

Why are you so against giving us people the same tool? 
    How do you go from "this is the law" to "why are you against this?" 

Corporations here (= not the U.S.) do record us all the time, but they are obligated by law to ASK us beforehand for our explicit consent - and they do. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Some posts were moderated out of this thread. Please refer to our commenting guidelines and keep it civil.
    spheric
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Thank you!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Agree with that. And I am pretty sure that is absolutely doable.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Solution 1: Get an Android phone. Or 2: Use the speaker phone and use Just Press Record software on your Apple Watch to record everything.