Walmart's Vudu to get native Apple TV app on Aug. 22

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Long in the works, Walmart will finally launch a native Apple TV app for Vudu, its video streaming service, on Aug. 22.

An app has been rumored since March, and was confirmed in June without a firm release date. The app will become "widely available" next Tuesday, Variety said. Vudu is U.S. only.

While not allowing people to buy or rent movies directly, the app should otherwise support watching any movie or TV show in a person's library, as well as free, ad-supported titles. Purchases will include access to bonus features like deleted scenes.

To date, the only way of watching Vudu on an Apple TV has been AirPlay and the service's iPhone and iPad app.

The launch comes ahead of an anticipated fifth-generation Apple TV, which could be revealed as soon as next month. The device should add support for multiple HDR formats and 4K video -- both of which are still missing from the iTunes Store, despite being present on rival services like Vudu and Netflix. Apple may be preparing to upgrade iTunes content shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Forget about Malwart. I'm still waiting for the Amazon app that was announced!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Great news! Now Apple needs to release a 4K Apple TV that supports Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision titles on Vudu look pretty awesome. The good thing with Vudu is if you redeem digital codes for 4K movies you've purchased, you will get the 4K digital copy on Vudu. 
    jahbladesupadav03
  • Reply 3 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Great news! Now Apple needs to release a 4K Apple TV that supports Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision titles on Vudu look pretty awesome. The good thing with Vudu is if you redeem digital codes for 4K movies you've purchased, you will get the 4K digital copy on Vudu. 
    It’s already been leaked that the next ATV has 4k, as we all said it would of course. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    that's great, but I'm not sure why both the Vudu and Amazon Prime videos are okay on the iPad, including ordering, but the Vudu app on Apple TV was first delayed and now apparently excludes ordering.  Doesn't Apple take the same cut either way?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    alandail said:
    that's great, but I'm not sure why both the Vudu and Amazon Prime videos are okay on the iPad, including ordering, but the Vudu app on Apple TV was first delayed and now apparently excludes ordering.  Doesn't Apple take the same cut either way?
    You can't buy anything from the Prime or Vudu iPad apps. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    alandail said:
    Apple only takes their cut when a purchase is made through an app on an iOS device.

When a purchase is made through a web browser, Apple takes no cut.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    alandail said:
    You can't buy anything from the Prime or Vudu iPad apps. 
    Then it's even more of a mystery why this app took so long.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 12
    been waiting for this for ages!!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    This makes me happy. I buy BluRay/DVD movies and always tickled when it has an iTunes digital and I get frustrated when its VUDU. It appears VUDU has also merged with Flixster. It all gets so confusing. Glad to see things coming together.  :)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    VUDU didn't merge with Flixster, Flixster merged with Fandango. Really glad you can't purchase any shows or movies on the app, makes it much cleaner to use. What Apple really needs to do is tie there movies to Ultraviolet just like they do for Disney Shows, so you can view all your movies and shows on iTunes instead of VUDU. I will admit VUDU video and sound quality is nice, but Apple does a real good job too.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    By the way, Come on Amazon release your Amazon Video App already. -):
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Well its November 16th Does anybody think Amazon will release the Video app for Apple TV before the year is over with. -):