Swift creator Chris Lattner moving to Google Brain's artificial intelligence effort

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Oh Great, now he's working for Google. Crap. I hated to see him leave Apple, but moving to Tesla seemed harmless enough. Now he's working for the enemy.
    You see an enemy. The people that work for these companies see the other companies as opportunities to expand. 
    Nor is there any evidence that I'm aware of that Tim Cook's Apple considers Google an enemy. That's something a very loud but probably relatively small number of Apple users promotes. In the meantime Cook and Pichai might enjoy more lunches together. 
    Sure, they could trade notes over Google's politically correct monoculture and how they've cultivated it by weeding out dissenting opinions. 
  • Reply 22 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Oh Great, now he's working for Google. Crap. I hated to see him leave Apple, but moving to Tesla seemed harmless enough. Now he's working for the enemy.
    You see an enemy. The people that work for these companies see the other companies as opportunities to expand. 
    Nor is there any evidence that I'm aware of that Tim Cook's Apple considers Google an enemy. That's something a very loud but probably relatively small number of Apple users promotes. In the meantime Cook and Pichai might enjoy more lunches together. 
    Sure, they could trade notes over Google's politically correct monoculture and how they've cultivated it by weeding out dissenting opinions. 
    Certainly not one of Google's more shining moments IMO. The engineer may have used poor judgment to write what he did in my opinion, but firing him over it was NOT an improvement nor making things right. Instead it should serve as fodder for an honest discussion in the industry at large IMHO.

Google's CEO still has a lot to learn about the politics of running a company the size of Google. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 23 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Certainly not one of Google's more shining moments IMO. The engineer may have used poor judgment to write what he did in my opinion, but firing him over it was NOT an improvement nor making things right. Instead it should serve as fodder for an honest discussion in the industry at large IMHO.

Google's CEO still has a lot to learn about the politics of running a company the size of Google. 
    He was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. The path of least resistance was a firing. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Would Apple have acted any differently?

I'm guessing you're referring, in part, to the recent employee episode at Google. On a wider scale I don't think Apple tolerates much political incorrectness or dissent either.

"For the past year Cook has been weeding out people with disagreeable personalities—people Jobs tolerated and even held close, like Forstall," Ladik says. "But Cook wants a culture of harmony."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikamorphy/2012/10/30/this-is-tim-cooks-apple-a-company-where-mini-steve-gets-the-axe/?c=0&s=trending#1299c1721365

Scott Forstall might be an example, who knows. The article is old but is there anything to suggest anything has changed?

The only dissent I see, is from Apple itself (FBI case etc).
  • Reply 25 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    avon b7 said:
    gatorguy said:
    greg uvan said:
    Would Apple have acted any differently?

I'm guessing you're referring, in part, to the recent employee episode at Google. On a wider scale I don't think Apple tolerates much political incorrectness or dissent either.

"For the past year Cook has been weeding out people with disagreeable personalities—people Jobs tolerated and even held close, like Forstall," Ladik says. "But Cook wants a culture of harmony."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikamorphy/2012/10/30/this-is-tim-cooks-apple-a-company-where-mini-steve-gets-the-axe/?c=0&s=trending#1299c1721365

Scott Forstall might be an example, who knows. The article is old but is there anything to suggest anything has changed?

The only dissent I see, is from Apple itself (FBI case etc).
    Thats not the same as political correctness. Forstall is probably a liberal or left. 

In Apple there just isnt that much intranet forum discussions.