Apple's glass-backed 'iPhone 7s' rumored to be slightly bigger in all dimensions, except f...

Posted:
in iPhone
Though sharing a 4.7-inch LCD, Apple's "iPhone 7s" will be slightly larger than the iPhone 7 in all respects, according to alleged design schematics, one exception being a thinner lens bump on the back.

The "7s" will be 138.44 millimeters tall, 67.27 millimeters wide, and 7.21 millimeters thick, Giga.de claimed on Tuesday, saying the schematics were obtained from casemaker Miqodo, which in turn got them from a source "close" to Apple assembly partner Foxconn. Such leaks to casemakers are relatively common, since some vendors are willing to pay to get a jump on the competition.

The iPhone 7, by contrast, measures about 138.3 by 67.1 by 7.1, also roughly the same size as the iPhone 6s.

The reason for the increase is unknown, but it's speculated that it could be related to the new phone's reported glass back, needed to support wireless charging.

The lens bump will shrink from 8.18 millimeters to 7.92, Giga.de said. The site noted that if Apple does go with a glass back, the bump will likely be surrounded by a metal ring, since there's no aluminum to raise into a natural contour.

No dimensions for the rumored "iPhone 7s Plus" and "iPhone 8" were mentioned. Leaked schematics from April -- bearing a close similarity to recent design dummies -- did identify the "8" as 137.54 millimeters tall and 67.54 millimeters wide, its shorter height made possible by an edge-to-edge OLED screen.

All three new phones will likely be revealed at a press event next month, shipping shortly thereafter. The "8" may only be available in extremely limited quantities though, owing to production delays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Let us keep things in perspective. Although the new phone is alleged to be larger, we need to keep in mind that .1mm is about the thickness of a piece of notebook paper.
    longpathalbegarcRayz2016lolliverdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Let us keep things in perspective. Although the new phone is alleged to be larger, we need to keep in mind that .1mm is about the thickness of a piece of notebook paper.
    Our long national camera bump nightmare is over!
    longpathretrogustostanthemanSoundJudgmentleviStrangeDaysradarthekatdoozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 21
    No one else seems to have said this, but isn't there an obvious reason for the larger power button - that it will perform the functions of the home button? Without a physical one on the front, it will be harder to access the virtual one when apps are in full screen mode. The large powerbutton wil allow any sized hand (left or right handed) to press or dounble press the power button. Sleep could be a longer press - and poet a long press as now. Personally I think it would actually improve on the current front home button for one handed use
  • Reply 4 of 21
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    No one else seems to have said this, but isn't there an obvious reason for the larger power button - that it will perform the functions of the home button? Without a physical one on the front, it will be harder to access the virtual one when apps are in full screen mode. The large powerbutton wil allow any sized hand (left or right handed) to press or dounble press the power button. Sleep could be a longer press - and poet a long press as now. Personally I think it would actually improve on the current front home button for one handed use
    What if I just want to see the lock screen to read my last notification or get a look at the time?  Pressing the power button does that now.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 21
    In the exhibit, the copper iPhone should have been assigned to 2017 instead of 2016. Grey should be 2016. The present color scheme is momentarily distracting. Design counts.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Any gesture on the iPhone Pro display screen can (theoretically) be defined by the user as a command to open the home screen or get notifications. The forward-looking cameras will identify the user, and recognize the gesture even before the owner's fingers reach the screen. Perhaps a wink or Samantha nose-twitch could also be defined as input gestures.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I think Apple is just making the iPhone 7s fatter so the 8 won't look so chunky (and more 'premium') next to it :-)
    vlscout
  • Reply 8 of 21
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    So I guess this just means the case manufacturers will again be slapping on a sticker to their existing case boxes saying "FITS 7S" and reading all the reviews from people saying how they don't fit.

[Deleted User]redgeminipapscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 21
    If it's thicker and more fragile, it better be for true wireless charging and not just Qi inductive charging. On the other hand, the positive side of having an all glass phone is that it's less slippery compared to all aluminum.

They should be putting their focus on developing and integrating features that are genuinely useful and that no other phone has; inductive charging has been around for YEARS and no one cares about it because it charges slower and still requires a cable reaching the phone to charge.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If it's thicker and more fragile, it better be for true wireless charging and not just Qi inductive charging. On the other hand, the positive side of having an all glass phone is that it's less slippery compared to all aluminum.

They should be putting their focus on developing and integrating features that are genuinely useful and that no other phone has; inductive charging has been around for YEARS and no one cares about it because it charges slower and still requires a cable reaching the phone to charge.
    Yup. 

And why would I give up carrying a cable with a tiny plug on one end, to carry a cable with a large mat at one end?
    beowulfschmidtredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Why not have both? I doubt the lightning port is going away right now, so I suspect it will offer both normal charging and mat charging. 
    radarthekatnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    What? It's 0.14 millimeters longer? Deal breaker.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    This may be the one I buy. I just can't see spending iMac money on a phone when my 6 becomes intolerable. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    totally plausable rumour for once; the 6S was marginally larger than the 6. I'm reminded of it constantly when I buy slim, form fitting wraps or screen protectors that leave tiny annoying gaps. "fits 6 & 6S"... my arse it does.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    You may scoff at .1mm but for me that's a deal breaker. 
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Apple needs to bring back the metal ring around the camera. Owners of the 7, especially the 7 Plus, seem to be finding the camera lenses cracked, seemingly out of nowhere. My husband's 7 Plus has a cracked lens, but no marks on the aluminum around it. A closer look reveals the lens sits higher than the aluminum. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    So the camera bump goes from 1.1mm to 0.7mm. Hopefully this is a trend, then in two years, we can complain about something else
    fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    larrya said:
    This may be the one I buy. I just can't see spending iMac money on a phone when my 6 becomes intolerable. 
    Agreed. This is the only thing about the iPhone 8 that keeps getting under my skin. These crazy price rumors.. It's not about having the money, it's about justifying it in my mind. My 7 Plus on the Apple Upgrade Program,  with Applecare 128gb was a little over $ 1000.00 last year. $1200.00 - 1400.00 before tax ( If the rumors are to be believed)  and Applecare is just..yikes! IMHO...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Apple needs to bring back the metal ring around the camera. Owners of the 7, especially the 7 Plus, seem to be finding the camera lenses cracked, seemingly out of nowhere. My husband's 7 Plus has a cracked lens, but no marks on the aluminum around it. A closer look reveals the lens sits higher than the aluminum. 
    That has to be from a drop and just not noticed. I have been using my 7 Plus since the day after launch with no case and there are no scratches on, or around the lens at all.  Even the back of the phone is good and I have dropped it multiple times.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    jcs2305 said:
    larrya said:
    Agreed. This is the only thing about the iPhone 8 that keeps getting under my skin. These crazy price rumors.. It's not about having the money, it's about justifying it in my mind. My 7 Plus on the Apple Upgrade Program,  with Applecare 128gb was a little over $ 1000.00 last year. $1200.00 - 1400.00 before tax ( If the rumors are to be believed)  and Applecare is just..yikes! IMHO...
    Look at it this way. Assume you have it for 2 years, a $1200 phone is $50 a month/30 days = $1.67 a day for something (arguably the most important computer in your life) you use every day. I spend 3x more money on 16oz of cold brew coffee most days.

That's how I justify it.
    edited August 2017 waverboy