Questionable, blurry pics attempt to revive rumors of a 60-inch OLED Apple television

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
New pictures on Chinese social media have emerged of what is said to be a 60-inch OLED Apple television set -- but there are significant doubts surrounding the identification.

The posts emerged on social media venue Weibo, and were posted on Twitter by Benjamin Geskin.

Two of the quartet of pictures show the device in an anechoic testing chamber, The original post claims that the device is a 65-inch OLED screen in a metal enclosure, with "two similar black spots" that are claimed to be for a camera attached to the television.

Alleged Apple OLED TV testing photos.

Metal body, thin bezel. Around 60-inch.

What do you think?

(via https://t.co/cswEGwOdEt) pic.twitter.com/os7ZIj8vbF

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)
The pictures appear to be shots of a monitoring screen, showing whatever the device actually is on the screen. The only indication that the device is Apple's, is a logo on the back of the device -- which is easy to fake either by a sticker or digital manipulation.

Despite the publisher's claims, there is also nothing on the pictures suggesting that the device is OLED at all.

Apple has said outright that it is returning to the computer display market. However, it is not likely to build a 60-inch one -- and there are no other indications at present that Apple is interested in a stand-alone television.

Apple ditched the concept as a stand-alone after the ill-fated Macintosh TV was discontinued in 1994. There were Apple-developed tuner cards for the PowerMac and Performa 6400 and 6500 lines, as well as native RCA inputs for the beige PowerMac G3.

After Apple left the concept behind with the PowerMac G3, rumors started circulating in 2011 that Apple was working on a television. After carrying the torch for many years, long-time proponent of the concept Gene Munster abandoned hope for an Apple television set in 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    IMO If it's actually showing an Apple product at all, which I personally don't think it is, it would more likely be a monitor, and not even close to a 60" one. There's absolutely nothing to indicate it's an image (from a picture on a video??) of one with an OLED display either.

Entirely fake or at least a fake indication of what it is IMHO. 
  • Reply 2 of 59
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Actually, here's the story about this: Apple is still deciding whether to put the screen on the front or back. Yield rates are low. It's proving difficult to manufacture and the release is delayed. It's running a custom build of iOS. There will be 3 colors and 2 sizes. It will not have any video inputs. No information yet on whether or not it will be waterproof.
    lkruppStrangeDaysAvieshekRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gatorguy said:
    IMO If it's actually showing an Apple product at all, which I personally don't think it is, it would more likely be a monitor, and not even close to a 60" one. There's absolutely nothing to indicate it's an image (from a picture on a video??) of one with an OLED display either.

I can't shake the feeling that I've seen that EXACT back protrusion on a TV before, but I couldn't find it this morning.

But yes, that is a succinct summary of the article. Thanks :D
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    williamh said:
    Actually, here's the story about this: Apple is still deciding whether to put the screen on the front or back. Yield rates are low. It's proving difficult to manufacture and the release is delayed. It's running a custom build of iOS. There will be 3 colors and 2 sizes. It will not have any video inputs. No information yet on whether or not it will be waterproof.
     B) 
    Avieshek
  • Reply 5 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What would be the motive in doing this if it’s faked? Money? Fun? Stirring the pot? This brings up the whole subject of the Apple rumor mill. Most of this stuff is false/fake/ludicrous. Why do people do it? Why do websites publish them?
    lolliverwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Insiders now report the image is of an Apple branded chalkboard...
    lollivercornchip
  • Reply 7 of 59
    gatorguy said:

I can't shake the feeling that I've seen that EXACT back protrusion on a TV before, but I couldn't find it this morning.

But yes, that is a succinct summary of the article. Thanks :D
    Took me a sec but gotcha and agreed... ;) 

• Reply 8 of 59
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Maybe, this is the next-gen iMac?
  • Reply 9 of 59
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Maybe it's related to this?

(why is 18 the older version of mac pro?)

edited August 2017
  • Reply 10 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NY1822 said:
    Maybe it's related to this?

It's shooting a death ray at the viewer.
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 59
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Steve Jobs in his biography said that he cracked the secret to a simple television set. AI article here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/21/steve_jobs_told_biographer_he_cracked_the_secret_to_a_simple_hdtv/
    I just hope that he told Tim Cook or someone within Apple at the time and that it sees the light of day. This showing the TV product it's hard to say. 
  • Reply 12 of 59
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I zoomed into the picture and commented a bit.
    I'm calling this picture bogus.jpg

suddenly newtonasdasdbb-15Rayz2016
  • Reply 13 of 59
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    8K set to be manufactured in Wisconsin.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    palegolas said:

Nice Photoshop analysis! The photo on the right is a smoking gun for digital manipulation.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 15 of 59
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring two tuners inside for PiP.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    appex said:
    No tuner at all. But you can stream multiple shows/episodes simultaneously 
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 17 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    appex said:
    lol, tuners. Next you’ll be saying CRTs are still useful...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 59
    jd_in_sb said:
    palegolas said:

Nice Photoshop analysis! The photo on the right is a smoking gun for digital manipulation.
    Nice work sir.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    appex said:
    lol, tuners. Next you’ll be saying CRTs are still useful...
    Tuners are still useful. How else to receive local OTA broadcasts without buying yet another accessory that has one? Or two. Or four.

EDIT: Pertinent article if you're not up-to-speed on cord-cutter issues. 
    https://www.techhive.com/article/3049219/smart-tv/cord-cutters-should-hope-vizios-new-smart-tvs-dont-spark-a-trend.html
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 20 of 59
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Could be legit. Would be odd if a company like Apple with billions in R&D is not actively prototyping TVs of some sort. Doesn't mean it will be released. But OLED transition is a good time for Apple to try to disrupt the market. A 60" OLED costs $2K+ so the pricing is high enough for Apple to come in with a $3K-$4K device that is superior in design, usability, and performance.
    levi