Tony Fadell-backed Keyssa partners with Foxconn, Samsung on fast new wireless data tech

Posted:
in General Discussion
A startup backed by iPod creator and Nest founder Tony Fadell is reportedly partnering with Samsung Electronics, Apple manufacturer Hon Hai/Foxconn, and other firms on a new short-range wireless data standard that could in some cases bypass the need for Wi-Fi or USB.

Keyssa's technology -- known as Kiss -- could allow transfers of large files like movies in a matter of seconds, simply by holding compatible devices next to each other, Reuters said. CEO Eric Almgren noted that the company has already raised over $100 million from Fadell, Samsung, Intel, and several other parties.

Keyssa and Intel first teased the technology last October, but the Samsung and Foxconn partnerships are new and said to be geared towards smartphones, rather than the convertible tablet PCs initially talked about.

Some members of the Keyssa team previously helped develop the HDMI standard now common on TVs, monitors, and projectors.

Despite Foxconn's Apple connections, Keyssa's technology is unlikely to appear on iPhones in the near future. It has yet to become a commercial standard, and Apple will sometimes opt for proprietary formats anyway, such as Lightning. Apple has moreover been eager to distance itself from Samsung, its main competitor in the smartphone market.

It may also be somewhat redundant on Apple devices -- which use AirDrop to establish peer-to-peer Wi-Fi links -- and could raise security concerns. Apple could get around the latter by offering software restrictions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Great. A new wireless non-standard that is incompatible with all devices on Earth. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    The cynic in me wants to know...

Who controls all the Patents then?
    How many arms and legs will they charge Apple to use it?
    How many times more than other makers will this be?

$$$$ is what is all about isn't it?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Apple's way: build UX first, then the tech. Others: build technology first, then figure out what the fuck to do with it.
    edited August 2017 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why is it needed?
    cornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Gee, I guess if I wanted to rent a movie and take it home on my phone this would be of value, a few seconds and I am out the door. Oh, but wait, nobody rents movies anymore. Its all Netflix downloads. What exactly is this and why would one need it?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    sog35 said:
    Its very entertaining to watch all these former Apple employees going on their own and failing miserably.

They should have stayed at Apple.
    Your right! He failed so bad when he sold his billion dollar company to Google. P
  • Reply 7 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tshapi said:
    sog35 said:
    Its very entertaining to watch all these former Apple employees going on their own and failing miserably.

They should have stayed at Apple.
    Your right! He failed so bad when he sold his billion dollar company to Google. P
    Yes he did...its not always about the financial aspect. You know he was basically ousted from his own company right? If thats not a failure I don't know what is. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    What problem does this solve?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Apple's way: build UX first, then the tech. Others: build technology first, then figure out what the fuck to do with it.
    Exactly. 

Im sure you're familiar with this, but it's one of my favorite Steve moments. Starting at 50:58: 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Im sure you're familiar with this, but it's one of my favorite Steve moments. Starting at 50:58: 
    Great to watch that again. Steve's vision was so right, and that dick head in the audience couldn't see it. 
    cornchipSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Great to watch that again. Steve's vision was so right, and that dick head in the audience couldn't see it. 
    IKR? "What have you personally been doing for the past seven years?" Lol. 

Anyway, researching that I forgot to add - I can't figure out how this is any different/better than airdrop. Other than maybe being faster? I'm guessing the droid-tel world is getting a little jelly of that tech & trying to figure out a competing solution.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Any technology that Intel puts its efforts behind always dies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Keyssa's technology -- known as Kiss -- could allow transfers of large files like movies in a matter of seconds, simply by holding compatible devices next to each other, Reuters said.
    Great! So we can start bumping our phones again to transfer data!!
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not sure I understand. What does this give me that I don't already have with Wifi and/or Bluetooth?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ireland said:
    Why is it needed?
    It's pretty redundant when there's wifi direct. Their tech is a 6Gbit/s wireless short range peer-to-peer connection:

http://www.keyssa.com
    http://www.keyssa.com/technology/

It can be used to transfer large photos/videos between mobile devices, from devices to TVs, from cameras to mobile devices, from PCs to storage drives but this is already true for wifi direct and wifi is long range.

802.11ac currently doesn't reach gigabit speed, real world is around 400-600Mbps (50-75MB/s). This is about the same as a SATA hard drive.
    802.11ad is a new lower range (same room) wifi coming out that will offer up to around 6Gbit/s, there's a test here showing 2.5Gbps (300MB/s, roughly SATA SSD speed) real-world:

Keyssa's tech was shown off in 2015:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8858/a-quick-look-at-keyssa-contactless-usb-30

A few cm range, low power usage, fast transfer. Even if it's faster than Wifi Direct, the extra range of wifi makes it much more practical. You can have wifi backup drives plugged into power and backup without connecting the data cable and stream data from them to mobile devices or TVs across a room.

If it's an inexpensive chip that doesn't use a lot of space internally then a manufacturer like Samsung who has a range of products might find some use out of it but even then, the short range makes for so few real world use cases. They'd likely just use it to speed up their S Beam, which uses Wifi Direct:

https://mostly-tech.com/2012/10/08/what-samsung-google-dont-tell-you-about-beaming/

Android doesn't have an AirDrop equivalent built in. They just have 3rd party apps, which everyone has to install manually. Google made an API:

http://www.greenbot.com/article/3078180/android/how-google-nearby-works-and-how-you-can-take-advantage-of-it.html

Maybe they can't get it to work across devices reliably/securely enough to put the functionality at the OS level.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Marvin said:
    ireland said:
    Why is it needed?

https://mostly-tech.com/2012/10/08/what-samsung-google-dont-tell-you-about-beaming/

Android doesn't have an AirDrop equivalent built in. They just have 3rd party apps, which everyone has to install manually. Google made an API:

http://www.greenbot.com/article/3078180/android/how-google-nearby-works-and-how-you-can-take-advantage-of-it.html

Maybe they can't get it to work across devices reliably/securely enough to put the functionality at the OS level.
    Between SHAREit (cross-platform, Mac to Android, Android to PC etc. - BIG bonus) and Google Cast (baked into both Android and Chrome) I don't think even Android users for the most part would see much benefit from Keyssa unless there's something I'm missing. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 17 of 18
    lojacklojack Posts: 28member
    Fortytwo said:
    What problem does this solve?

How to get lawsuit attention from Disney? The logo in the article has been in use for just a few decades in that tiny story of Star Wars.

AurekAurek
    A