Luxury carmaker Genesis adds remote start feature through iPhone Google Assistant app

Posted:
in iPhone
Luxury automotive car manufacturer Genesis has rolled out an update for its vehicles, allowing users to issue voice commands to start the car, lock the doors, and more -- all through the Google Assistant app.

The new integration in Wednesday's rollout allows for voice commands through Google Home, through the Google Assistant on iPhone or Android, or text commands through any mobile phone. Users can send a destination to the car's navigation system, remote start the vehicle, set climate control parameters, remote lock and unlock, and actuate the horn and lights.

The app connects to the owner's Genesis Connected Services Account and does not directly communicate with the car. Once a customer has linked the account, commands can be sent through the service to the vehicle.

Genesis Motors is the luxury vehicle division of the South Korean automobile manufacturer Hyundai Motor Company. Genesis announced the launch of its first model, the G90, in December 2015.

The company expects to roll out a luxury sedan, a sports coupe, and two sports utility vehicles before 2020.

The Google Assistant app for the iPhone launched on May 17. The app takes 256MB of storage space, and runs on any device capable of running iOS 9.1 or greater.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Oh goody. Right, because I trust Google to not only know where I am and what I'm doing at all times, but also be able to control my $50k car. /s

Hyundai should make a proper App (for both platforms) to securely communicate with an owner's Genesis Connected Services Account. Even that is still an opportunity to get hacked.

Can someone please make a new vehicle without electronic controls and gizmos? Guess I'm going to have to look into a kit car built by a custom shop for my next vehicle; something that won't be completely hosed when some screwball regime hits us with an EMP.

Muntzrhbellmorwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 19
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I wonder how long it will take for someone (or a child) to remotely start a car that is parked in a garage causing the entire family to die due to carbon monoxide poisoning?
    holyoneviclauyyclolliverwatto_cobrahmurchison
  • Reply 3 of 19
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    zroger73 said:
    I wonder how long it will take for someone (or a child) to remotely start a car that is parked in a garage causing the entire family to die due to carbon monoxide poisoning?
     :D  :D :D
  • Reply 4 of 19
    zroger73 said:
    Remote start has been around for well over a decade. I'm sure it's happened, but most systems shut the car off after 10-15 minutes, so probably not long enough for any real damage to occur.
    lollivermacgui
  • Reply 5 of 19
    $60000 for a Korean car!? Thanks but no thanks 
    boltsfan17watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    zroger73 said:
    The denizens of these forums also once worried that if Apple dares to introduce Touch ID into the new iPhone 5s, victims of iPhone robbery would have their fingers cut off too.
    gatorguylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    zroger73 said:
    This feature was already available using the Amazon Echo I have it set-up and works perfectly. A pin is required to turn the car on and the car will shut down anywhere from 1-10 min (user selectable time). 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    viclauyyc said:
    Wow still leaving on a bubble.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    zroger73 said:
    Little Billy has commandeered the iPhone; the rest of the entire family is gathered in a closed garage, with no way to stop the running car or leave the garage?

I’m not getting the scenario here. . .
    lolliverseafox
  • Reply 10 of 19
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    viclauyyc said:
    There's something ironic about calling someone out on ignorance with such a poorly written post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    stq66stq66 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    zroger73 said:
    The denizens of these forums also once worried that if Apple dares to introduce Touch ID into the new iPhone 5s, victims of iPhone robbery would have their fingers cut off too.
    The difference being that TouchID has real world benefits whereas remote starting a car from a flat is only a gizmo for people wanting to show off. 
    Or can someone explain a real use for this function?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    viclauyyc said:

I'm leaving on a bubble, don't know when I'll be back again...
    watto_cobramacguihmurchison
  • Reply 13 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    viclauyyc said:
    Some idiots still buy it. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    stq66 said:
    zroger73 said:
    The difference being that TouchID has real world benefits whereas remote starting a car from a flat is only a gizmo for people wanting to show off. 
    Wife and hot flashes. 'Nuff said. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    zroger73 said:
    I'm sure you'll be the first to tell us 'I told you so!' when that 'inevitability' transpires.

Dumbass post.
  • Reply 16 of 19

I'm leaving on a bubble, don't know when I'll be back again...
    Pretty damn funny that! Takes me back...
  • Reply 17 of 19

stq66 said:
    ...whereas remote starting a car from a flat is only a gizmo for people wanting to show off. 
    It always amuses me to see someone from the 'If I Can't Understand It Then It Must Be About Showing Off' Dept. of the Clueless and Intolerant Div., spout off some stupid statement highlighting their petty biases and ignorance and then expect someone to educate them on very simple concepts.

It seems some people can create scenarios of death and destruction however unlikely while others can't even must up a thought as to a practical use someone else might have for a given product. A very odd Yin-Yin situation, hold the Yang.

• Reply 18 of 19
    stq66 said:
    zroger73 said:
    Mostly for cold climates (-20° to -40°C) letting a car warm up a few minutes before driving is better for the engine and much more comfortable to get in if the heater has been on.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

mytdave said:
    Oh goody. Right, because I trust Google to not only know where I am and what I'm doing at all times, but also be able to control my $50k car. /s

Word.

mytdave said:
    Can someone please make a new vehicle without electronic controls and gizmos?

My '90 325 daily has too many electronic controls and gizmos. Can't wait to get my '74 Ghia back on the road. Other than that, yeah you're gonna have to get one of those kits.