iDevices launches new Apple HomeKit Dimmer Switch for $100

Posted:
in iPhone
The list of Apple HomeKit-compatible accessories continues to expand, as iDevices on Wednesday launched its new wall-installed Dimmer Switch, offering users the ability to control and set the brightness of their lights with Siri.

Priced at $99.95, the iDevices Dimmer Switch is now available to purchase via Amazon. In addition to HomeKit, it also works with the iDevices Connected app and assorted iDevices smart home accessories.

Notably, because the switch is Wi-Fi-enabled and not solely reliant on Bluetooth, the accessory does not require an Apple TV or a hub to be controlled remotely or to fit into an existing HomeKit setup.

Other features of the switch, according to iDevices, include:
  • Customizable dimming capabilities: With intelligent features such as in-app dim range settings to prevent low-level bulb flicker and last-state brightness memory, users can truly personalize their lighting and smart home experience.
  • Works with all leading voice control platforms: The iDevices Dimmer Switch is the only hub-less smart dimmer that works with Siri, Alexa and the Google Assistant.

• Fits into the walls of any home: With a sleek, minimalist design that fits any standard rocker faceplate, the iDevices Dimmer Switch seamlessly integrates into any home's existing lighting system.
  • Enhanced functionality and simple installation: The iDevices Dimmer Switch is installed just like a traditional wall switch, and can be installed in single pole, 3- and 4-way setups with no extra wiring needed.
  • Customizable LED night light: One of iDevices' signature design features, the built-in LED night light is both functional and attractive, allowing users to locate the iDevices Dimmer Switch in the dark with a wide range of color choices.
The new Dimmer Switch marks the first product released by iDevices since the company was acquired by Hubbell in April. Other HomeKit-compatible accessories from iDevices include a socket, thermostat, wall outlet, and multiple other switches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Just to recap: Dimmer switch. $100.
    bill42boltsfan17Metriacanthosauruscornchipmacgui
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I have an iDevices plug and I love it. But their new stuff is WAY too expensive.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yea, I recently went through and finally got rid of all the '80s era rotary dimmers we had and I thought about getting a "smart" switch. Then I saw the price tag, compared to the $4-5 that a normal switch to $25 for a relatively fancy non-smart dimmer, just WAY to much. And since we don't use dimmers in all but one of the switches I just got $5 switches and it's been great. When they get to be maybe $10-15 more then a fancy dimmer switch, I'll think about swapping out the cheap switches.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 15
    First thought was, this better be 3 pack for $100. But 1 switch for $100? W T F
  • Reply 5 of 15
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    $100 is a bit steep. You can get a Philips Hue dimmer switch with remote for $25. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jhalmos said:
    But it also has a nightlight!!
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 7 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    $100 is a bit steep. You can get a Philips Hue dimmer switch with remote for $25. 
    I agree the price is insane. 

But to be fair, the Phillips switch is NOT the same. I own a couple. The Phillips one is bluetooth and sticks to the wall, does not replace the physical switch, and becomes useless if the physical switch is turned off. I eventually want to replace everything with these kinds of physical switches, but not for $100 each. 
    cornchiplolliver
  • Reply 8 of 15
    $100 dimmer switch, check.  One of the dimmer ideas I've seen.
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I just installed a few of another brand switches, and they work great.  Wi-Fi and full Siri support.  They also have dimming versions around the same price.  In about the $50 Price range.  Thinking about getting one for over the table which now has a normal dimmer.  $100 seems pretty costly.

lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 15
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Are we really at the point with technology that we need to control light switches in our homes from a smart phone, as opposed to just walking up to a wall switch or the light itself to turn it on or off manually?  A lot of this smart home stuff has pretty limited utility.  Paying $100 to control a dimmer from your phone is the height of stupidity.  And laziness.  I'm all for technology, but this is just vain.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jhalmos said:
    Yeah this is out of control. Even with Hue's overpriced system, a single dimmable bulb PLUS a single dimmable switch are less than half this cost.

If SwitchMate ever becomes HomeKit compatible, they'll have something great.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    toddzrx said:
    Are we really at the point with technology that we need to control light switches in our homes from a smart phone, as opposed to just walking up to a wall switch or the light itself to turn it on or off manually?  A lot of this smart home stuff has pretty limited utility.  Paying $100 to control a dimmer from your phone is the height of stupidity.  And laziness.  I'm all for technology, but this is just vain.
    I won't be paying $100 for a dimmer anytime soon, but I do have several Lutron dimmers and on/off switches and it is pretty handy having Siri integration and automation routines.  Is it laziness if at 11:00 at night I don't want to walk down two flights of stairs to verify all my basement lights are off and then back up two flights of stairs to return to bed?  Maybe. But it's very convenient not to have to worry about it and just ask my phone to turn everything off.
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mygigmygig Posts: 40member
    jbdragon said:
    I just installed a few of another brand switches, and they work great.  Wi-Fi and full Siri support.  They also have dimming versions around the same price.  In about the $50 Price range.  Thinking about getting one for over the table which now has a normal dimmer.  $100 seems pretty costly.

would you please share the name? :D been looking for one.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    not quite sure who the product is aimed at.... for the people that don't balk at $100/dimmer there are much more feature rich solutions like lutron radio ra2, homeworks, and even control4. For people wanting wifi dimmers instead of zigbee, tplink makes some for $33, which is about how much these should cost....
  • Reply 15 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    jhalmos said:
    Brilliant! Made me laugh. I regret that I have only one like to give for that post.

Part of that cost is built-in WiFi so there's not the expense of a hub. Maybe an ok deal if you just needed only one such device in the entire house, ever.

Still, Dimmer switch. $100.