Alleged Apple 'iPhone 8' internal part mistakenly identified, could instead be external ch...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2017
A pair of pictures purporting to be from the "iPhone 8" wireless charging feature are clearly too large to be internal parts, but could possibly be part of the device's external charging pad.

The images, first spotted on Weibo, have no clear Apple markings on the electronics other than a sticker claiming that the part is an EVT -- or "engineering validation test." While the original poster claims that they are internal parts to the "iPhone 8" itself -- it is clear that they are not, and are too large.

The first image has a QR code in the bottom right. Assuming the QR code is as small as 5mm, it clearly means that the component is too large to fit inside the iPhone 7 Plus.

The second image appears to be of the same component, just the opposite side. The port on the right hand side of the device, scaled for Lightning, USB-C, or microUSB still makes the component wider than an iPhone 7 Plus -- which is thought to be larger than the "iPhone 8."

Additionally, the markings on the chips have been eradicated by photo editing tools. Had the poster wished to allow viewers to make a better identification of the device, this additional step would not have been taken.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign, plus the inclusion of a 2.5D curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000, and others as much as $1,200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    That does not look like 5mm. 

5mm is the size of the camera lens. Hard to believe that wouldn't fit in the phone. 

5cm, more like. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    spheric said:

5mm is the size of the camera lens. Hard to believe that wouldn't fit in the phone. 

5cm, more like. 
    The article isn't claiming the piece is 5mm, it says the QR code is 5mm.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    spheric said:

5cm, more like. 
    Oh. No, the current phrasing does not claim that. 

"Even at 5mm" is modifying the subject of the sentence, which is "the component".
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    spheric said:
    spheric said:

5cm, more like. 

"Even at 5mm" is modifying the subject of the sentence, which is "the component".
    You guys are pedants, aren't you? I assure you -- the current phrasing does claim that.

That all said, I will simplify it so as to not require very small logical leaps get made.
    edited August 2017 johnenglishwelshdog
  • Reply 5 of 9
    spheric said:
    spheric said:

5cm, more like. 

You guys are pedants, aren't you? I assure you -- the current phrasing does claim that.

That all said, I will simplify it so as to not require very small logical leaps get made.
    They are so persistent because the stakes are so low. ;)
    edred
  • Reply 6 of 9
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    It would be nice if you could charge both the phone and watch on the same pad somehow..
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    They look more like HomePod parts e.g the board (motherboard?) about 1/3 the way up. The power cord looks a bit lower down than the graphic but Homepod is shipping in December so parts must be in manufacturing already:

Image result for homepod inside

Image result for homepod back
  • Reply 8 of 9
    spheric said:
    spheric said:

5cm, more like. 

Is it "pedantry" if I actually misunderstood what you were saying? To the point that you had to clarify it after the fact?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    spheric said:
    Is it "pedantry" if I actually misunderstood what you were saying? To the point that you had to clarify it after the fact?
    Maybe that says more about you than him. And not in a complimentary way.