Video: iOS 11 introduces new Smart Invert viewing mode

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Apple is introducing a new Smart Invert viewing mode in iOS 11 that intelligently inverts all screen colors except for those is displayed media, such as photos, videos, and icons. The feature might be used to extend battery life on the upcoming OLED-equipped "iPhone 8."

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Invert whites to blacks + shift all colors to red scale = theater mode (aka blood moon mode)
    edited August 2017 longpath
  • Reply 2 of 16
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Why does the video say invert was introduced in iOS 10? It's been around MUCH longer than that. I'm not sure how far before iOS 6, but it was definitely there in 6.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Assuming that an LED-based display is coming this year to the iPhone 8, will we see this enabled as default?

2) Is OLED guaranteed? I keep seeing AI refer to it without any reference to better technologies like microLED.

3) I'm skeptical that this will be perfect by the time iOS 11 officially launches if 3rd-party apps aren't yet on board with it. Wouldn't think be a 3rd-party developers issue to set flags in iOS to say which items shouldn't be inverted?

4) There's nothing wrong with saying | ō-lēd |, but this is the first time OLED pronounced that way. I've always heard and used specifically saying each letter of the initialism. Since | ō-lēd | does reduce the number of phonemes spoken, I hope this does catch on.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Just two questions: 1. How come the video went off on a tangent and started to talk about android devices? 2. Will the feature work on iPads and iPod Touches? There was no reference about iPads and iPod Touches in the video.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Yup the real reason iOS 7 was so bright was simply to extend battery life, we should see a trend in colors shifting to dark during the oled era. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Yup the real reason iOS 7 was so bright was simply to extend battery life, we should see a trend in colors shifting to dark during the oled era. 
    How would using whites in iOS 7 extend battery life on an LCD screen? It’s backlit with the same amount of energy regardless of pixel color. 
    fastasleepdysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    macseeker said:
    Just two questions: 1. How come the video went off on a tangent and started to talk about android devices? 2. Will the feature work on iPads and iPod Touches? There was no reference about iPads and iPod Touches in the video.
    Why wouldn't it work on iPods and iPads?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I don’t know why people keep saying that smart invert will leave alone photos and videos.  I tried it in every beta since it became available and even in the current public beta 5 it still inverts photos in social apps like FB & Twitter, making them pretty unrecognizable.  I want a “dark” mode and had hoped intelligent invert would be it - but so far it ain’t too smart.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macseeker said:
    Wonder why AppleInsider doesn't discuss iOS 11 beta working on iPads and iPod Touches.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    macseeker said:
    1. Because some Android devices have already implemented OLED technology with always-on screens displaying the time and other info. Users unfamiliar with OLED can get a good idea of what could be coming to the 'iPhone 8.' 

2. Missed that little bit of info, but of course. If a device can support iOS 11, it should get the Smart Invert feature.    
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Soli said:
    1) Assuming that an LED-based display is coming this year to the iPhone 8, will we see this enabled as default?

2) Is OLED guaranteed? I keep seeing AI refer to it without any reference to better technologies like microLED.

3) I'm skeptical that this will be perfect by the time iOS 11 officially launches if 3rd-party apps aren't yet on board with it. Wouldn't think be a 3rd-party developers issue to set flags in iOS to say which items shouldn't be inverted?

4) There's nothing wrong with saying | ō-lēd |, but this is the first time OLED pronounced that way. I've always heard and used specifically saying each letter of the initialism. Since | ō-lēd | does reduce the number of phonemes spoken, I hope this does catch on.
    4- strange, I've never heard it pronounced oh-el-ee-dee, it's always been oh-led I've heard and used personally.

oled screen or not, a black theme will be welcomed regardless and will look stunning on a gloss black iPhone imho :)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    adm1 said:
    Soli said:

4- strange, I've never heard it pronounced oh-el-ee-dee, it's always been oh-led I've heard and used personally.

oled screen or not, a black theme will be welcomed regardless and will look stunning on a gloss black iPhone imho :)
    It has always been pronounced "oh-el-ee-dee". Because it's an L-E-D display with an O, for organic, in front. Nobody ever called them LED displays or TVs. It was always L-E-D.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 16
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Soli said:

4 - Sorry but I will have to disagree with pronunciation of capitalized first letters of words as some form of made up word. In an attempt to be lazy one succeeds in creating confusion. If OLED should be pronounced |ō-lēd| then how should one pronounce USA? The arbitrary introduction of nonsense words created from abbreviations creates confusion for English speaking people and chaos for people for whom English is not their primary language.
    mike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    2old4fun said:
    Soli said:

4 - Sorry but I will have to disagree with pronunciation of capitalized first letters of words as some form of made up word. In an attempt to be lazy one succeeds in creating confusion. If OLED should be pronounced |ō-lēd| then how should one pronounce USA? The arbitrary introduction of nonsense words created from abbreviations creates confusion for English speaking people and chaos for people for whom English is not their primary language.
    That's a fair point. It would be odd to say |  o͞osa |. I do lean toward efficiency, so if the social norm becomes  | ō-lēd | over saying each letter and the general public understands what that means I'll be on board, even if it sound odd to my ears.

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about acronyms and initialisms are when people create backronyms, like turning the word ping into an acronym meaning Packet INternet Groper. In etymology we see a lot of forced meaning with words. The general rule with etymology is: if the history is exciting it's likely wrong. Unfortunately, it's these amazing stories that people remember and want to pass onto others.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "...except for those is displayed..."
  • Reply 16 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    macseeker said:
    macseeker said:
    Wonder why AppleInsider doesn't discuss iOS 11 beta working on iPads and iPod Touches.
    What the hell are you talking about?

iPads that'll run iOS 11:
    • iPad Pro 12.9-inch
    • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
    • The iPad Air 2
    • iPad Air
    • iPad 4th generation
    • The iPad Mini 4
    • The iPad Mini 3
    iPods that'll run iOS 11:
    • The iPod Touch 6th-generation