Steve Jobs Theater given closeup in latest Apple Park drone footage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
One of the last sets of drone footage while Apple Park is still under construction highlights the ever-growing landscaping taking place, and a close-up of the uncovered Steve Jobs Theater.

The interior of the "spaceship" greenery looks to be near complete. A large portion of the heavy equipment has been removed from the site, with only one crane remaining out of the eight seen in previous videos.

Some of the climate controls appear to be functional, with fans spinning. While some reports claim that there are workers in Apple Park now, nothing other than functional climate control systems suggests that.

On Feb. 22, Apple officially named the "spaceship" campus under construction. The entire facility is now called "Apple Park," with the 20-foot tall and 165 foot in diameter glass auditorium honoring one of the founders of the company and named the "Steve Jobs Theater."

Before the massive construction effort started, the area was Hewlett Packard's land, and was essentially completely paved over. Apple's demand for trees is reportedly putting pressure on the local market, forcing contractors to source from outside California. The final tree count is expected to approach 9,000, with apple, apricot, cherry, and persimmon trees dotting the landscape.

An environmentally-friendly design was paramount to Jobs's vision, and Apple's related Phase 2 project adds additional workspace adjacent to the main headquarters, and includes a small data center powered by on-site the on-site solar farm, fuel cells, and other sources of renewable energy.

A new micro-grid installed on the campus is reportedly capable of delivering 17 megawatts of power from solar alone, and handling about 75 percent of the facility's power requirements. The solar installation is supplemented by Bloom Energy-provided fuel cells, similar to those installed at the North Carolina data center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    For some reason that seemed the least impressive of all the series of flyovers.  
    JinTech
  • Reply 2 of 31
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Wonder why that one big section of solar cells is a different color than the rest?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    How to make an Apple Park flyover:

1. Shoot some video.

2. Hire some guy to use a sequencer, create a drum loop and some inane little keyboard pattern, and play it for 3 minutes.

3. After about a minute, drop the drums out and break it down to the insipid keyboard pattern. Play for 8 bars.

4. Bring the now-worn-out drum loop back and play to completion. 
  • Reply 4 of 31
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    The open layout of the office building would drive me nuts as an introvert. Give me my ow office, or even a cubicle, and I'm happy. 
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Just curious if there have been any leaks of the interior plans or renderings of the theatre. I know it's stated that it will seat approximately 1000 but beyond that not much detail that I'm aware of.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    When is the official move in date that everything will be operational? Or is it a somewhat ambiguous time frame?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    tyler82 said:
    The open layout of the office building would drive me nuts as an introvert. Give me my ow office, or even a cubicle, and I'm happy. 
    Aren't you doing what Apple haters do? Slamming products before their even completed. This "open layout" meme is based on fragmentary information. Do you really think the one space they showed off is going to be cloned throughout all the buildings in this immense project? More likely they chose to show of an open space because it is more photogenic. Calm down people. 
    bb-15jony0gilly33
  • Reply 8 of 31
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I was wondering how they managed to have the same number of solar panels in the outer row as in the inner row. You'd think with the inner row having a smaller circumference that it would have room for fewer panels. Doesn't look like they reduced the spacing either. Panels must be blunted "pie sections."
  • Reply 9 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sog35 said:
    Will the iPhoneX be announced here?
    I would’ve thought they’d scramble to get it ready for that, but it doesn’t look like it. The invitations will probably go out on September 4, right?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Several times before I've asked whether the building(s) yet have a Certificate of Occupancy (assuming they're required in CA) and no one has ever responded.  Without that, no one is officially working there as yet.   With all the construction equipment still on primary walkways, I don't think they can obtain one as yet and judging by the appearance of the underground passage to (I assume) the garage, it doesn't look like that's being used yet either by other than construction workers.

Most, if not all of these drone videos look like they're taken early on Sunday mornings, judging by the traffic on adjoining streets.   Unless someone who lives nearby can state that there are thousands of cars there during workdays or someone who works at Apple can unequivocally state that people have indeed moved in, I'm inclined to believe that no one is working there yet.    It's hard for me to believe that once employees start moving in that it wouldn't become both obvious and public.   I predicted many times that the building(s) wouldn't be occupied until late this year when people predicted early 2018 move-in.    And once move-in starts, I predict it will take several months for everyone to move in, based on my experience with corporate moves.  At one company I worked for, it took many weeks to move just 500 employees.   Although people move with far less paper than workers of years ago and many will probably just walk in with a laptop, programmers will have reference books, marketing will have all kinds of materials and a fair number will have MacPros and/or multiple monitors to move.    It will take some time.   There's only so many moving trucks that Apple will be able to harness at one time and most corporate moves happen over weekends. 

Note that in the spaceship, there still appears to be items placed against the windows to cover them and hide the interior from view.   I find it hard to believe those are anything but temporary.   When those come down, we'll know people are working there.  Also when we see security or receptionists in the main lobby.   I think they can open even if the interior courtyard isn't complete, although if I was an employee who had to attend a meeting 180 degrees away from me, I'd probably be pissed.  That's going to be a long walk - I estimate it as almost 10 blocks (based on a building diameter of 1600 feet).    But even when it's open, walking directly across the courtyard would be over 6 blocks each way.    Well...there might be a lot of lost productivity, but everyone should be in pretty good physical shape for all that walking.  

• Reply 11 of 31
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    zoetmb said:
    Several times before I've asked whether the building(s) yet have a Certificate of Occupancy (assuming they're required in CA) and no one has ever responded.  Without that, no one is officially working there as yet.   With all the construction equipment still on primary walkways, I don't think they can obtain one as yet and judging by the appearance of the underground passage to (I assume) the garage, it doesn't look like that's being used yet either by other than construction workers.
    In many cities in California including Cupertino a temporary certificate of occupancy is often issued. So long as safety conditions have been met such as fire alarms, working bathrooms, etc. people can occupy the areas that are in compliance while other areas are still under construction. Once all is completed a final certificate of occupancy will be issued.
    Soli
  • Reply 12 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    welshdog said:
    Wonder why that one big section of solar cells is a different color than the rest?
    Most of the solar panels are covered in dirt/dust. If you look at the very end of the video,  I think the crane is lifting someone who is cleaning off the solar panels. I would assume this won't be a big deal once construction is done and the grass is planted. 
  • Reply 13 of 31
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Agreed. The title of the article is complete click bait too. I was expecting to be shown an almost walk up perspective rather we just got a couple seconds of the same view we have gotten before (regarding the Steve Jobs theater.)
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 14 of 31

sog35 said:
    I would’ve thought they’d scramble to get it ready for that, but it doesn’t look like it. The invitations will probably go out on September 4, right?
    There's no reason why Apple can't release the iPhone in late Sept, early Oct. It looks like they are making significant progress on the theatre and the walking paths leading up to it. Less than a month go, all of the walking paths leading up to the theatre were just dirt. 

I guess if anything, people will complain of the late announcement, but this also buys Apple a couple more weeks to get more inventory stocked up before shipping. 
  • Reply 15 of 31

tyler82 said:
    You seriously would want to sit in a cubical all day? Seriously!!!
  • Reply 16 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Very little is changing now that it's mostly just foliage being added. I thought this video was more impressive than last month because of the lower altitude so we can see inside building, the installation of more canopies, and the paved walkway leading up to Steve Jobs Theater.
    bb-15
  • Reply 17 of 31
    sog35 said:
    Why would anyone here know this? We don't even know if it will be announced in September, even though that's expected. It certainly seems possible, but we have no way of knowing just how much is completed and tested with Steve Jobs Theater internally or if Apple even wants thousands of people using their parking garages and walking around their campus within the next month. All I can say for sure is: I sure hope so.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    1) I'm glad to see they're paving the path to the Steve Jobs Theater. Is that asphalt? Personally, I'd rather it be cememt since it's cooler.

2) Is the ring surrounding the Steve Jobs Theater made of WOPC?

tyler82 said:
    You need some human blinkers. :smile:  (No, that's not a typo. I meant to write blinkers, not blinders.)

hypoluxa said:
    When is the official move in date that everything will be operational? Or is it a somewhat ambiguous time frame?
    Those are very different things. It will take a long time to move thousands of people for every department. The R&D building—which is part of Apple Park—already has people in it, and I think it's a certainty that security and IT have been working in the "spaceship" building for all of this year, if not longer, to get the networking, servers, security doors, and all the testing done so that other teams, like accounting and marketing can eventually move in. IOW: There's a lot of overlap between Apple employees working onsite and construction taking place for such a massive project.

macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    There's no reason why Apple can't release the iPhone in late Sept, early Oct. It looks like they are making significant progress on the theatre and the walking paths leading up to it. Less than a month go, all of the walking paths leading up to the theatre were just dirt. 

I guess if anything, people will complain of the late announcement, but this also buys Apple a couple more weeks to get more inventory stocked up before shipping. 
    We have no idea what challenges and goals (i.e.: reasons) Apple may have that could push up or push back a release. We've seen the iPhone move from a Summer to an Autumn release, as well as many recent projects get announced in Autumn and not released until Winter. We simply can't know.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 19 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    JinTech said:
    Agreed. The title of the article is complete click bait too. I was expecting to be shown an almost walk up perspective rather we just got a couple seconds of the same view we have gotten before (regarding the Steve Jobs theater.)
    To be fair, the title of the article does say "drone footage." You can only get so close.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    zoetmb said:

Most, if not all of these drone videos look like they're taken early on Sunday mornings, judging by the traffic on adjoining streets.   Unless someone who lives nearby can state that there are thousands of cars there during workdays or someone who works at Apple can unequivocally state that people have indeed moved in, I'm inclined to believe that no one is working there yet.    It's hard for me to believe that once employees start moving in that it wouldn't become both obvious and public.   I predicted many times that the building(s) wouldn't be occupied until late this year when people predicted early 2018 move-in.    And once move-in starts, I predict it will take several months for everyone to move in, based on my experience with corporate moves.  At one company I worked for, it took many weeks to move just 500 employees.   Although people move with far less paper than workers of years ago and many will probably just walk in with a laptop, programmers will have reference books, marketing will have all kinds of materials and a fair number will have MacPros and/or multiple monitors to move.    It will take some time.   There's only so many moving trucks that Apple will be able to harness at one time and most corporate moves happen over weekends. 

Note that in the spaceship, there still appears to be items placed against the windows to cover them and hide the interior from view.   I find it hard to believe those are anything but temporary.   When those come down, we'll know people are working there.  Also when we see security or receptionists in the main lobby.   I think they can open even if the interior courtyard isn't complete, although if I was an employee who had to attend a meeting 180 degrees away from me, I'd probably be pissed.  That's going to be a long walk - I estimate it as almost 10 blocks (based on a building diameter of 1600 feet).    But even when it's open, walking directly across the courtyard would be over 6 blocks each way.    Well...there might be a lot of lost productivity, but everyone should be in pretty good physical shape for all that walking.  

We certainly don’t know the answer to that. We can be sure though that if employees have been moving in, as it’s reported, and Apple stated, then it’s legal.