YouTube TV comes to 14 more US cities like Boston, Seattle & Pittsburgh

Posted:
in iPhone
Google's nascent YouTube TV on Thursday expanded into 14 more U.S. cities, a few notable places being Baltimore, Boston, Las Vegas, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Tampa.

The other additions include Cincinnati, Columbus, Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis, San Antonio, and West Palm Beach. YouTube TV is now available in 29 markets in total.

Currently the service offers over 50 channels, such as the big four broadcasters (ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC) and related stations. Notably missing are networks from Turner and Viacom such as CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, and Nickelodeon. Only two add-ons are available, Showtime and Fox Soccer Plus.

Subscriptions cost $35 per month for a base package with six accounts. Subscribers can watch via Chromecast, an iPhone or iPad, a Mac or Windows PC, and various Android devices. There is no native Apple TV app, but the iOS client does support AirPlay.

The service's biggest draw may be its free cloud DVR functions, which have no storage limits. Customers also get a free Chromecast after their first payment, and free access to YouTube Red Originals, but not other Red features like offline caching.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Options and choices are good.

That said, this is not for me, and I'll not be buying in Seattle.
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I find it curious that we're geographically restricting content on the INTERNET. Who cares what city you live in? This is the friggin Internet! Wasn't one of the original goals of the Internet to provide unrestricted global access? (I mean geographically, I don't mean free reign to access anyone's server/PC/device connected to it.) Second point: Why are so many organizations in the entertainment industry still not getting it? People are "cutting the cord" on cable/satellite because of STUPID BUNDLES. Holy shit, get a damn clue already. YouTube TV is just another stupid bundle delivered over a different distribution medium. No friggin different than cable. Good god almighty.
    macky the mackydoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    mytdave said:
    I find it curious that we're geographically restricting content on the INTERNET. Who cares what city you live in? This is the friggin Internet! Wasn't one of the original goals of the Internet to provide unrestricted global access? (I mean geographically, I don't mean free reign to access anyone's server/PC/device connected to it.) Second point: Why are so many organizations in the entertainment industry still not getting it? People are "cutting the cord" on cable/satellite because of STUPID BUNDLES. Holy shit, get a damn clue already. YouTube TV is just another stupid bundle delivered over a different distribution medium. No friggin different than cable. Good god almighty.
    On geography, it's a question of having enough network infrastructure, as well as the rights to local affiliates. 
    cornchipdoozydozenbshank
  • Reply 4 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Talk to me when you don't need to live in a big city to get this....
  • Reply 5 of 15
    macxpress said:
    Talk to me when you don't need to live in a big city to get this....
    They have already started rolling out in some middle markets, and that looks like it will accelerate in the next round.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Interestingly enough, there seem to have been no major glitches or technical snafus for YouTube as has occurred with most of the other providers. Somebody is finally starting to make this work to its potential. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I like that there are more options than just lousy cable or satellite nowadays. There will continue to be more and more options and more splintering of the standard entertainment options.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 15
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    sog35 said:
    This service is not worth it.

You can't skip commericals with the DVR.  That is no deal for me.

I absolutely HATE commericals.

Advertising is the BAIN of society.

Its also missing HUGE channels like TNT, NBA TV, and NFL Network.  For a sports fan that is a no go (NFL, NBA, Soccer, ect)
    Commercials is what pays for the content...
    I think streaming channels should have commercials unless you paid for a subscription like Netflix or hbo.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 9 of 15
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    mytdave said:
    They are required by law to offer local channels,  this is why they deploy by cities.

i agreed with you on bundles 
    gatorguydoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    What?? No comments about how Apple's streaming Tv service is just SO much better than YouTube...oh, yeah, that's right. I forgot. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    No CC, CNN, TBS or TOON?
    No skipping commercials?
    35$ / mo?
    I can just split DISH with my room mate and get it all.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    FK Google - they are not getting a dime of my money. I simply bought an HD antenna for $30 which provides lots of channnels for free. Plus I have Apple TV with HBO Hulu and Netflix, with Amazon Prime coming to Apple TV this fall. That's plenty!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    mytdave said:
    On geography, it's a question of having enough network infrastructure, as well as the rights to local affiliates.  Brands
    Actually it's about advertising $. Since local channels pull most of their ad $ from local companies and that fee is based on number of users in the local space local companies do not want to pay for access to people they do not see as potential customers. This even applies to local companies with national brands like cars. Next time you buy a cars see if they will share with you all the cost the dealer pays to sell you a car. The of those fees is the national advertising fee. It's the cost GM charges back to local dealers for them to place ads in the local market.

Most people do not realized you pay higher product costs because of ads. I personally have tried to negotiate away that fee when buying a new car and never been successful. They will all tell they can not drop it from the car. BTW, that cost its $400 to $600.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    This service is not worth it.

You can't skip commericals with the DVR.  That is no deal for me.

I absolutely HATE commericals.

Advertising is the BAIN of society.

Its also missing HUGE channels like TNT, NBA TV, and NFL Network.  For a sports fan that is a no go (NFL, NBA, Soccer, ect)
    Now you know how Google is paying to give you free DVR, what you are really getting is not DVR but on-demand. I record all the time and when I hit recorded I can skip commercials no different than a VCR. There is case law on this. But on-demand they do not have to allow you to skip commercials. This is the deal provider struck with content owers to allow them to hold content and serve it up to you later.

Welcome to the complicated world of advertising within the media world. 

I personal wish we were allowed to record content locally from any sources. I have 8th of storage and I can hold lots of content locally.