Apple promotes iOS 11 for iPad in new ad series

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2017
Apple on Thursday published a series of six iPad commercials to its official YouTube channel, focusing on the new capabilities iOS 11 is set to deliver to tablet users this fall.

Like other recent Apple ads, like the "How to Shoot on iPhone" series, today's iPad spots are basically promotional content disguised as explainer videos.

A first commercial takes a closer look at file management on iOS 11. Specifically, Apple throws a spotlight on iPad's dock, which with iOS 11 can be used to quickly access recently opened documents and drag and drop files. The features are designed to help iPad feel and function more like a Mac.

The second ad focuses on Files, the new dedicated app that lets users search and browse, organize and manage iOS documents. As noted in the short spot, users can browse through files and folders, create folders, drag and drop files, add favorites and search for documents on select cloud services.

Files acts as a repository and central hub for local and offsite files, one of the most highly requested iOS feature additions since the operating system debuted.

Next, Apple highlights Apple Pencil integration. In iOS 11, Apple Pencil owners with iPad Pro hardware will be able to quickly enter Notes with a quick tap on an iPad's lock screen, mark up Mail attachments without transporting the document to another app, and more.

The markup ad also notes iOS 11's new screenshot management system, which lets users open, mark up and share images in a few easy steps.

Apple's iPad is, of course, still useful without Apple Pencil, as seen in a commercial illustrating how to perform drag-and-drop operations in slide over mode. The ad also mentions gesture support like the five-finger pinch, which returns users to the home screen.

Moving on to productivity features, Apple goes through the process of scanning, signing and sending a physical document. A new AR-powered document scanner tool in Notes provides users a quick and easy method of scanning in -- or more accurately taking a picture of -- paper documents. The app automatically corrects for size, color and orientation.

Apple Pencil owners can then open the document and sign it using iOS 11's markup functionality, then send it off with share sheets.

Finally, Apple details iOS 11's enhanced multitasking features. The next-generation operating system allows users to drag and drop apps from the dock directly onto open apps, leaving both windows running simultaneously. From there, text, images and other data can be dragged between apps.

Other new multitasking functions not mentioned in the ad include slide over and picture-in-picture video viewing. Technically, iOS 11 can display four app instances at once.

Apple is expected to release iOS 11 alongside new iPhone hardware this fall. Aside from a visual refresh and platform-wide feature additions like peer-to-peer Apple Pay transactions, the new OS incorporates major changes for Apple's tablet lineup.

For more, see AppleInsider's "Inside iOS 11" series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Very, Very cool.  Apple really needs to make people aware of iPad Pro + iOS 11 features.
    This will eventually lead to the iPad Pro replacing a lot of desktops and laptops.
    Go Apple!
    SoundJudgmentwatto_cobraAvieshekGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 25
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Very nice. Have my iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil. So just waiting for the update to drop. Looking forward to using the new files app and new dock features. Can't wait. 
    edited August 2017 SoundJudgmentwatto_cobraAvieshekSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 25
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    "See ya later, Donut"

hahahahahaha
  • Reply 4 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love these ads! Vintage Apple. I get the feeling the age of the iPad is just beginning. And I expect many many more of these ads. 😃
    RacerhomieXwatto_cobraAvieshekGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 25
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Very, Very cool.  Apple really needs to make people aware of iPad Pro + iOS 11 features.
    This will eventually lead to the iPad Pro replacing a lot of Macs and MacBooks.
    Go Apple!
    Fixed that for you
    Avieshek
  • Reply 6 of 25
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Kind of reminds me of the tutorials they were doing when the IPhone first came out. These are just bite size
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 7 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Go Apple!
    Fixed that for you
    That doesn’t make any sense. Most people who own ipads do not also own Macs, thus its far to say any non-purchased laptop/desktop would be a PC and not a mac. Can you more clearly explain the negative narrative yarn you’re spinning?
    edited August 2017 ericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Love my 10.5" iPad Pro, but the update will take it to the next level. I prefer to use my 2017 MacBook Pro with Touchbar for some tasks and my iPad Pro for others.
    All aboard!
    edited August 2017 watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Deceptive Advertising

It's not the same donut.  Apple is doomed!   /s

edited August 2017 [Deleted User]GeorgeBMacking editor the grate
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Go Apple!
    Fixed that for you
    That doesn’t make any sense. Most people who own ipads do not also own Macs, thus its far to say any non-purchased laptop/desktop would be a PC and not a mac. Can you more clearly explain the negative narrative yarn you’re spinning?

Don't piss all over his troll parade!!
    macky the macky2old4fun
  • Reply 11 of 25
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Go Apple!
    Fixed that for you

Don't piss all over his troll parade!!
    You two are so cute together. 
    Avieshekking editor the grate
  • Reply 12 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I have a hunch iOS 11 will be buggy as hell and won't really work fluidly as intended until iOS 12.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I still haven't seen a clear delineation of iOS features for older but supported iPads. I had slide over and pic in pic on my A7 mini 2 and I'm really wondering what's going to be available with iOS 11. I could justify budgeting for the new base iPad but split screen on those is really too small to be practical to my eye. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I never considered the larger iPad (I own a couple of Minis) as it was so close to the size of a macbook air for example and so much less capable. But now finally iOS looks to be able to do most of what I would need a full blown laptop for.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    adm1 said:
    I never considered the larger iPad (I own a couple of Minis) as it was so close to the size of a macbook air for example and so much less capable. But now finally iOS looks to be able to do most of what I would need a full blown laptop for.
    I agree...
  • Reply 16 of 25
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Go Apple!
    Fixed that for you
    Where are you getting this information? Most of the people I know that have Mac products have both, myself included. They're for different uses. 

On another note, does anyone know which feature of iOS 11 will work on an iPad Mini 2?
    gatorguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 25
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    tyler82 said:
    I have a hunch iOS 11 will be buggy as hell and won't really work fluidly as intended until iOS 12.
    Nope, it's almost perfect on my iPad Pro. The latest public beta, of course.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 25
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Stinks that the Files app no longer seems to work with local content. I rather not be forced to use a cloud service in order to use it.
    Also does not seem to be a way to add your own shares to it. Would be nice have the ability at add your on SMB share that's on your Mac/windows/linux to it. Would increase productivity 10 fold for people that use the two in-concert.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 19 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Go Apple!
    Fixed that for you
    He had it right the first time.
    Macs & MacBooks are desktops and laptops -- just from a particular vendor.
    The iPad Pro will enable a lot (but not all) of them to go away...
    ...   Particularly once a cursor is added...

Drip, drip, drip...   Step by step... 
    ...  Watch out base level laptops, the iPad monster is right behind you and he's going to eat you!
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 20 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    tyler82 said:

I'm running the Beta on my iPad Pro and have not experienced a SINGLE crash- but sure, great hunch.