McDonald's uses 'iPhone 8' render to promote Australian iPhone app

Posted:
in iPhone
McDonald's Australia is using a render of Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8" in an email promoting the company's "mymacca's" iPhone app, various social media posts noted on Thursday.

The email, guiding customers through a discount on online orders, depicts the "iPhone 8" with a widely-accepted edge-to-edge OLED display, interrupted only by a sensor "notch" at the top. Unlike some concept renders, the McDonald's art includes white status bars in the display's "ears" -- Apple is typically expected to make these black to blend them in.

Well-known leak source Benjamin Geskin claimed that McDonald's used an uncredited render of his as the basis for its graphics, though other similar renders have been produced.

#iPhone8 In McDonald's email

(They took my render) pic.twitter.com/5gPJccVh1C

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

It's unknown at this stage whether the McDonald's marketing team deliberately used the "iPhone 8" to draw attention, or simply to appear on the cutting edge.

The layout of the phone is at this point largely uncontroversial, since Apple itself included an image in early HomePod firmware. Rumors have instead swirled about whether or not facial recognition will completely replace Touch ID -- given no obvious signs of a fingerprint sensor -- and other potential features, such as a rear laser for autofocus and augmented reality. It's also uncertain when the product might ship, even if it will probably be announced in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    WOW, using fake news for your artwork. That's pretty funny.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Cool!!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Oops
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    jbdragon said:
    More like using artwork for your (not really fake) news.

Aussie's call McDonald's Macca's? Now, that's funny, Sheila!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Really annoyed that the Mickey Ds in my area have removed Apple Pay support, replacing it with a WalMart-styled payment app.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Cute that they use an actual hamburger icon for the common “hamburger menu” UI element. 
    ddawson100tzm41
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Cute that they use an actual hamburger icon for the common “hamburger menu” UI element. 
    That's absolutely hilarious.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Really annoyed that the Mickey Ds in my area have removed Apple Pay support, replacing it with a WalMart-styled payment app.
    Mine still using Apple Pay, but any time the adult full-timer isn't working, I have to explain the process to a teenager: "Push Credit button on large screen to your right, and hold out the reader with the keypad. No, not the laser scanner! No, I'm paying with my watch wasn't a joke, and it doesn't mean I'm bartering a 200-dollar Series 0 for a grilled-chicken sandwich."
    watto_cobrapscooter63getvoxoajbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Can McD really not have someone spend a few minutes creating their own render instead of stealing the work of someone else. Using the assumed-but-unverifed iPhone 8 design shouldn't even be in question—only the theft of someone else's artwork.
    edited August 2017 jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Looks like the Australians get much more civilized-looking coffee cups at their local McDs, compared to ours.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Soli said:
    Can McD really not have someone spend a few minutes creating their own render instead of stealing the work of someone else. Using the assumed-but-unverifed iPhone 8 design shouldn't even be in question—only the theft of someone else's artwork.
    I must have missed the other render -- whose work did they steal?

Oh, I see it. Nevermind.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 20
    5 dots?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    That's a good looking phone not if its $1000. mcdonalds is still around? yuck.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mknelson said:
    jbdragon said:

Immediately followed by...

Now, that's funny.

• Reply 15 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is this a McD's inside a Walmart?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Uuuhh.. I really hope that the top "horns" will never be white like this.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mknelson said:
    jbdragon said:

It's the Macca of Fast Food chains!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Soli said:

Isn't this McD:

• Reply 19 of 20
    anome said:
    mknelson said:
    jbdragon said:

Immediately followed by...

Now, that's funny.

I assumed "Mickey Ds" was a totally different company. I've heard it called Maccy Dees sometimes but 9/10 it's McDonalds here.

On topic tho, the signal/battery bar should ALWAYS be black to match the notch if this is gonna be real.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Mine still using Apple Pay, but any time the adult full-timer isn't working, I have to explain the process to a teenager: "Push Credit button on large screen to your right, and hold out the reader with the keypad. No, not the laser scanner! No, I'm paying with my watch wasn't a joke, and it doesn't mean I'm bartering a 200-dollar Series 0 for a grilled-chicken sandwich."
    It must be implemented differently in the USA. If there's a contactless machine at a vendor then it all just works here. And they almost to a man have them.  Doesn't matter which bank provides the infrastructure. If they can choose which banks cards to accept I've never seen a vendor exercise it. 

What im getting to is that you just ask to Tap and Go and the person helping you will hold out the reader so you can, well, tap and go.