Apple leases additional Santa Clara office space near Apple Park

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Apple continues to expand its San Francisco Bay Area footprint to accommodate a growing workforce and new projects, with the latest leases involving multiple industrial buildings near the soon to open Apple Park.

Source: Bay Area News Group

According to filings with the Santa Clara County Recorder's Office, Apple is renovating two buildings near the southeast corner of Kifer Road and Uranium Drive, The Mercury News reports. One building measures 43,000 square feet, while the second comes in at 30,000 square feet, the report said.

Apple confirmed the leases, but declined to say who would occupy the new property or for what purpose.

The company also leased and is performing major renovations to a 105,000-square-foot building just blocks away, the report said.

The new leases are in close proximity to facilities once -- and potentially still -- dedicated to Apple's "Project Titan" electric vehicle initiative. As uncovered by AppleInsider in 2015, "Titan" started life as an ambitious effort to build an electric, autonomous car.

Apple abandoned its initial goals in late 2016 after the project hit a number of snags. The team, once numbered at over 1,000 people, has been whittled down to necessary personnel as the company refocuses efforts to self-driving software and supporting hardware. Most recently, Apple's self-driving test bed was seen on the streets in April.

Alongside the "Project Titan" facility, and other nearby properties, Apple is planning a massive 86-acre development a few blocks to the east of the leases mentioned in today's report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Clearly this is for the introverts and agoraphobes complaining about the open layout of the new campus¡ :tongue: 

macky the mackySoundJudgmentjony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Sooo...this means a new Apple Car is coming?
    melodyof1974
  • Reply 3 of 19
    "When's dem Apple moonshot projects gonna emerge?" The analysts and pundits are always saying there's nothing in Apple's pipeline, but taking on new employees would seem to prove otherwise. I think it's really stupid for outsiders to make conjecture about what's going on internally at Apple. As secretive as Apple usually is, there's never really a way to tell what's going on in private. Apple isn't like Intel who has to let everyone know what the next chipset and processors are going to be because other companies depend on knowing some future timeline. Apple doesn't have to tell anyone anything about what's coming. Is it really that wrong for Apple not to divulge projects that aren't complete? All I do know is that for a company that's supposed to be doomed, they're sure taking on a lot of employees which is usually something companies struggling for survival don't do. Of course, it means a lot more meatbag overhead and Wall Street definitely doesn't like that.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Soli said:
    Clearly this is for the introverts and agoraphobes complaining about the open layout of the new campus¡ :tongue: 

It's a lot harder to goof off when you're in view of everyone else. Blinders work for horses, so maybe they'll work for programmers who are easily distracted.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

It's a lot harder to goof off when you're in view of everyone else. Blinders work for horses, so maybe they'll work for programmers who are easily distracted.
    I references those earlier today.

• Reply 6 of 19
    They are almost done building something that rivals the pentagon and it's still not enough space? O_o
  • Reply 7 of 19

This is for the guys and girls who have not earned the right to move into Apple Park!

• Reply 8 of 19
    Apple's working on a trebuchet project to hurl commuters from one place to another... trust me on this...the car is doom.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Apple's working on a trebuchet project to hurl commuters from one place to another... trust me on this...the car is doom.
    Nah! Apple is working on the Star Trek Transporter. Just don't tell everyone else.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 10 of 19
    macseeker said:
    Nah! Apple is working on the Star Trek Transporter. Just don't tell everyone else.
    Very funny, Spock, now send my clothes down too...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If open layouts had a chance in hell of working they would be far more common.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They are almost done building something that rivals the pentagon and it's still not enough space? O_o
    Scary isn't it!   Just imagine if they have one bad iPhone launch and sales take a dip, hundreds of thousands would be laid off.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    wizard69 said:
    Scary isn't it!   Just imagine if they have one bad iPhone launch and sales take a dip, hundreds of thousands would be laid off.
    Sales already encountered a dip. Still no doom. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:

Well, we were treated to an article last week about Apple employees planning to quit when the move to the new building happened because they didn’t like the idea of open spaces.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    As someone with far to much weight in AAPL I don't know what to worry about more, that fact alone or 'the big one' with so much of Apple centered on top of major faults.  I guess they are one and the same issue now I think about it, but I wish Apple could have a second functioning HQ elsewhere too, after all a backup is always a good idea in this business.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    iCatapult!
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 18 of 19
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    MacPro said:
    As someone with far to much weight in AAPL I don't know what to worry about more, that fact alone or 'the big one' with so much of Apple centered on top of major faults.  I guess they are one and the same issue now I think about it, but I wish Apple could have a second functioning HQ elsewhere too, after all a backup is always a good idea in this business.
    Designing for earthquakes is arguably easier than hurricanes or tornadoes, and much easier than planning for volcanic eruptions. 

For my stock $, I worry much more about them mis-executing the next big thing than seismic issues.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    MacPro said:
    Designing for earthquakes is arguably easier than hurricanes or tornadoes, and much easier than planning for volcanic eruptions. 

For my stock $, I worry much more about them mis-executing the next big thing than seismic issues.
    True that.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2012/06/10/three-reasons-why-apples-new-campus-is-ready-for-anything/#1c7698ce10cf