Android O, Google's response to Apple's iOS 11, will be revealed next Monday amid solar ec...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google will showcase and possibly launch the next version of Android, "Android O," on August 21 -- setting the stage for competition with Apple's iOS 11, which should come to iPhones and iPads as soon as next month.

Google has introduced a countdown site for an event in New York City, themed around the solar eclipse taking place the same day. A livestream of the Android O debut is scheduled for 2:40 p.m. Eastern time, 11:40 a.m. Pacific.

Even if the software doesn't become available on Monday, Google is likely to launch it shortly thereafter, since the company has promised a "summer" deadline and there have already been several beta revisions.

The finished update will bring a variety of changes to Android, such as improved battery and bootup performance, a streamlined Settings menu, and iPhone-style app badges called "notification dots." For video the OS will finally get native picture-in-picture support, instead of requiring third-party extensions.

iOS 11 will likely make a September debut alongside the "iPhone 8," and include features like a Files app, augmented reality support, and new graphics and audio standards. The biggest changes are coming to the iPad, which will offer a Mac-like dock, more advanced multitasking, and drag-and-drop commands.
Muntz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple will keep on letting Google to copycat. It actually protects Apple from being used for anti-trusts. 
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 67
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Android Zero! Sounds about right.
    peterhartfotoformatlkruppSpamSandwichjeffharrisdoozydozenMuntzpscooter63MacProjony0
  • Reply 3 of 67
    And the Fragmentation continues....
    jeffharrisdoozydozenMuntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 67
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    So in other words, only about 15% of Android users will get the new update. 
    fotoformatdoozydozenpeterhartMuntzradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 67
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    sog35 said:
    Google is so PATHETIC.

I wish they would stop pretending to be cool and just be who the are:

A company that collects mountains of data to sell to the highest BIDDER.

I would respect them more if they just owned it.

PATHETIC, piece of shit company.

Ads are the bane of society.
    Arguably, they don't sell your data to the highest bidder. Instead, they use it themselves to sell ads to said bidder. Your data is their competitive advantage.
    SolicincymacSpamSandwichdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 67
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What timeframe? Android N 7.1 (API 25) was released in Oct 2016, yet still only has a 1.2% install base, according to Android's own Dashboard.

Muntzpscooter63MacProjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 67
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Let me guess, the image pictured is Android's version of Apple's activity rings
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Android O will really compete with iOS 12 cuz that’s how long it will take to be on any significant number of devices. 
    Muntzradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Android O will really compete with iOS 12 cuz that’s how long it will take to be on any significant number of devices. 
    I'd say that's very generous bone to throw Android. After 6 months iOS 10 had about 80% of the user base on board. I've never seen anything like that from Android. Right now, their biggest share is 32% for Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23).
    radarthekatMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 67
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    If Android O was previewed in May and iOS 11 in June, isn't the title of the article the wrong way around?

Or perhaps, as both systems are on yearly updates, the whole idea of who is responding to who is a little out of place.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Comparing OS versions between iOS and Android is a bit misleading anyway. With iOS new features are delivered only via an OS update. With Android many of the very latest features are available to nearly every user.  Android owners aren't as dependent on the latest OS version as iOS users might assume.
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/3216104/android/android-upgrade.html

Is that a good excuse for OEM's to be so horribly bad at rolling out OS and security updates when Google sends them out? Not at all. It's stupid and lazy and not at all buyer friendly. But Android owners aren't actually missing out on as much as an iOS user who can't  or won't take advantage of an OS update for whatever reason. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 67
    avon b7 said:
    If Android O was previewed in May and iOS 11 in June, isn't the title of the article the wrong way around?

Or perhaps, as both systems are on yearly updates, the whole idea of who is responding to who is a little out of place.
    If you want to consider Alpha releases that didn't even get their APIs solidified until after Apple's full-featured demo with Xcode and beta release at WWDC on 05 June 2017. "Me first" at its finest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 67
    gatorguy said:
    Comparing OS versions between iOS and Android is a bit misleading anyway. With iOS new features are delivered only via an OS update. With Android many of the very latest features are available to nearly every user.  Android owners aren't as dependent on the latest OS version as iOS users might assume.
    The foundation counts. You can't Bolt the spoiler of a Ford GT supercar onto a Ford Pinto and then claim the Pinto is just as good as the GT.
    doozydozenMuntzRayz2016watto_cobraericthehalfbee
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    The foundation counts. You can't Bolt the spoiler of a Ford GT supercar onto a Ford Pinto and then claim the Pinto is just as good as the GT.
    Of course it matters just as I said. But if you are looking forward to some announced new Apple Maps feature there's only one way to get it. Same if you want an updated Calendar app. Or any other update of an Apple feature. With Google you can update to the very latest Google app features whenever Google offers them rather than waiting for your annual iOS update. Don't want to update some specific feature? No problem if you are on Android.  

Here's what I suspect will be a surprising list of the Android enhancements that have been made available in just the past four months, totally independent of any OS update and available to almost any Google Android user regardless of OS version.

Contacts8/14/17
    Photos8/14/17
    Allo8/14/17
    Duo8/14/17
    Google8/11/17
    Calendar8/10/17
    Gmail8/10/17
    Google Play Services8/10/17
    Translate8/10/17
    Docs8/9/17
    Android Pay8/9/17
    Phone (limited to Google's own devices)8/9/17
    Maps8/9/17
    Trusted Contacts8/9/17
    Chrome8/8/17
    Android System Webview8/8/17
    Sheets8/7/17
    Slides8/7/17
    Keep8/7/17
    Clock8/7/17
    News & Weather8/4/17
    Street View8/3/17
    Android Messages8/2/17
    Play Books8/2/17
    Play Movies8/1/17
    Drive7/31/17
    Gboard7/28/17
    Play Games7/28/17
    Trips7/28/17
    Android Device Policy7/26/17
    Cloud Search7/25/17
    Play Music7/7/17
    Cloud Print7/5/17
    TalkBack6/21/17
    Calculator6/14/17
    Play Newsstand6/13/17
    Pixel Launcher (limited to Google's own devices)6/6/17
    Find My Device5/17/17
    Wallpapers5/2/17
    Text-to-speech4/10/17

It's two different ways of trying to accomplish the same goals and both have advantages. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 67
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    gatorguy said:
    With iOS new features are delivered only via an OS update. With Android many of the very latest features are available to nearly every user.  Android owners aren't as dependent on the latest OS version as iOS users might assume.
    How does this work in Android? Do the updated applications (i.e., "features") get pushed to the device automatically? Or show up with an indication that something needs updating? (and the user then initiates the updates)

I had Android 4+ years ago, and I don't remember any updating like this. Of course, 4+ years is quite a long time for smartphones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 67
    GG1 said:
    gatorguy said:
    With iOS new features are delivered only via an OS update. With Android many of the very latest features are available to nearly every user.  Android owners aren't as dependent on the latest OS version as iOS users might assume.
    How does this work in Android? Do the updated applications (i.e., "features") get pushed to the device automatically? Or show up with an indication that something needs updating? (and the user then initiates the updates)

I had Android 4+ years ago, and I don't remember any updating like this. Of course, 4+ years is quite a long time for smartphones.
    Yes, you get a notification of available app updates as they become available. You can also check for any that didn't automatically update, and they won't if there's been a change in permissions (it's a security thing), by opening "My apps and Games" in the Play Store menu. 
    GG1
  • Reply 17 of 67
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Soli said:
    What timeframe? Android N 7.1 (API 25) was released in Oct 2016, yet still only has a 1.2% install base, according to Android's own Dashboard.

My number was just a guess so I was quite high. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 67
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    It'll get eclipsed, all right...
    peterhartmacseekerOferboltsfan17tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 67
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It does not matter they will introduce it but no one can install it since it will not be approved by phone companies to install on the phones.

Another pieces of fragmented the already fragmented Android ecosystem
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 67
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Why are they making an announcement when everyone will be outside away from their TVs and Computers?
    peterhartMuntzpscooter63watto_cobra