AppleInsider podcast talks LTE Apple Watch, 'iPhone 8,' and CarPlay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about the almost-certainty that is an LTE-enabled Apple Watch, pricing and affordability on the "iPhone 8," Tim Cook's leadership following the events that took place in Charlottesville, Va., and CarPlay.

AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
  • Three sources suggest we're going to see an LTE-enabled Apple Watch soon. It looks like it might be data-only, without calling enabled. Victor believes this enhances Siri as a voice-first interface.
  • We talk about how well-suited the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is to helping people afford the rumoured expensive "iPhone 8" over time.
  • Also, the new "iPhone 8" color could be called 'blush gold'
  • Tim Cook's open letter following the violence and murder in Charlottesville, Va., and his actions that show where Apple stands.
  • Including, Apple disabling Apple Pay for websites that sell white supremacist products.
  • Apple to spend as much as $1 billion on creating television shows.
  • PSA: Longer Thunderbolt cables do not work well. Cables longer than 0.5m do not generally support USB 3.1 speeds.
  • "iPhone 7s" rumoured to be very slightly larger than the iPhone 7 with glass back. Will your cases fit?
  • More Smart Connector enabled products for iPad Pro on the way? Neil rejoices.
  • Sony releases their second-generation CarPlay radio.
  • Victor takes listener questions on CarPlay and talks about the Alpine ILX-107 Wireless CarPlay experience a little more.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I'd have to agree with Neil re: the iPhone screen size and 'luxury brand' aspect. I think people primarily want bigger screens because they are just more useful, up to the size where you dislike the physical size of the device. For me, that's iPhone SE size... but I'd love edge-to-edge screen to give me a bit more real-estate. I just don't want the physical size to go over that. For the people who want status, they can always buy the highest end model, if that floats their boat.

I think Apple has already established themselves as the luxury brand (again, for those who care about such things), so long as they don't lose it. Take BMW for example, they have a huge price range of cars, with their lower end models falling in line with the upper-end of cars a more typical person person buys. Yet, they still have that image in people's minds (often to my chagrin as a BMW owner). I've had people think I spent 10x what I actually did on my car, just because it's a BMW. They don't know that it's a more base model with 200k miles on it.. they just know it has the badge so it must be expensive.
    nhughes
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Also, while it's good that Cook took a stand against the violence in Charlottesville, the SPLC has it's own track record with promoting violence. I (and many others) would actually include a soft form of terrorism (certainly on par with ideological Nazis). Not a good choice on who to donate to in response. :(
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Just to follow up on my above claim:
    http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/01/southern-poverty-law-center-got-busted-sending-millions-offshore-accounts/

Certainly an organization that doesn't need $millions more pouring into its pockets.